Fish of the Month - September 2012

Fruin

Reaction score
OK guys and gals - welcome to the September 2012 fish of the month comp. The usual rules will apply. All entries must be accompanied by a photograph or video of the catch, along with details of where the fish was caught, and what tactics were used.

Up for grabs for the lucky winner is a Salmon Fishing Forum cap, as available in the forum shop...

All entries must be caught on the month of the competition and posted by midnight on the last day of that month.
We will trust that members will only submit entries of fish caught during the month in the title of this thread.
There will be only one winner each month, to be decided by the moderators of this forum. Please note that the winning entry will not necessarily be the largest fish, as all factors of the capture and the detail in the posting will be considered. The moderators decision will be final.
The winner will be announced on this thread and contacted for details of the delivery address for their prize.
Good luck! :)

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
my new pb 13lb caught on river ehen spinning with black and gold flying c the river was about 9inches on the marker i have a little video of me playing the fish i will upload it when i get it on my computer and post a link on here. also if anyone is wondering why i killed it, i had too the spinner was right down its trap and when i eventually got it out i had the fish in the water for 10mins and it just woundnt recover so thats why i killed it

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
yep it's dark but the reason it was killed has been explained so should be left at that imo and not start up that old chesnut again.

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
its very dark looking is it the photo :confused:
william

Went fishing today around 6:30 for a hour just as sun was going because been sunny all day river was just over spinning mark so i decided to go with fly and i got this fish at 5lb, it took the dropper hope it is clean enough for you william :p

william m

Reaction score
thats a nicer fish bts, i think the other one had a bit of a tan,must of been in a lot longer,didnn't see why you chopped it son if a fish is bleeding i do the same thats the only time i do it ,whats the fly.
william

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
thats a nicer fish bts, i think the other one had a bit of a tan,must of been in a lot longer,didnn't see why you chopped it son if a fish is bleeding i do the same thats the only time i do it ,whats the fly.
william

The fly was just a shrimp fly patten that my mate nocked up for me

Bushwhacker

Reaction score
My 25th salmon of the year.
An 11lb bar of silver i had yesterday in low water conditions in bright sunshine.
Taken on a size 10 simple orange shrimp pattern fished on a slow sinktip.

leckytech

Reaction score
Ok, it did say in the guidelines that size doesn't matter and I've been itching to catch a salmon and put it in the fish of the month, so here goes :)

Out today on the Wear for a few hours. I initially went with the intention of fishing the float and shrimp as the water is quite low and clear. Im not really up on shrimping and although I bought all the kit, was at a bit of a loss as to how to bind the shrimp onto the pin! My first shrimp vanished after i missed the float disappearing momentarily as a ninja salmon managed to strip it off of the pin clean as a whistle! After losing a few more shrimp to gravity and eventually losing the entire rig to a rock, I despondently marched the long walk back to the car with the intention of calling it a day as it was clear skies, red hot, low water and I was withering away in my neoprenes [ I actually thought my waders were leaking, it was sweat!!!].

Bumped into a few guys on the way back to the car who explained they had caught a grilse the previous night on a Mepps, this seemed to rekindle my enthusiasm and I decided, despite the difficult conditions, to at least practice my atrocious spey casting for a while.

I had my doubts to be honest as I rigged up an intermediate tip and a size 10 cascade double, with a downstream wind and never having even tried a double spey [rhb]. At the moment there is a dutch circus set up on the river bank beside the pool and was a little concerned I might get mistaken for an escaped clown due to my casting technique!

Nevertheless I persevered and was rewarded with my first ever salmon on the fly and my first salmon for around 15 years! It made a fantastic account of itself for a wee fella, flying out the water on numerous occasions and almost giving me a heart attack with its head shaking, no landing net either.

Im so stoked I just had to share my story with you guys...

He's only a wee fella but made my bloody day :)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
What a brilliant, well put together, description of your first success on the fly! :)

Many congratulations on getting your first fish on the fly and in such difficult conditions too. Nice fish it is too. No matter how many more you get, you will never forget this one.

Have you stopped smiling yet? ;)

Well done sir! :D

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
well done on taking this fish on the fly in what sounds to be differcult conditions.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us;)

leckytech

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Must go get my beauty sleep, up early tomorrow, gonna try and get his big brother..

Paul

Oscar

Reaction score
Don't think we need any more entries this month?!

Lovely fish for your first, well done.

Oscar.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Ok, it did say in the guidelines that size doesn't matter and I've been itching to catch a salmon and put it in the fish of the month, so here goes :)

Out today on the Wear for a few hours. I initially went with the intention of fishing the float and shrimp as the water is quite low and clear. Im not really up on shrimping and although I bought all the kit, was at a bit of a loss as to how to bind the shrimp onto the pin! My first shrimp vanished after i missed the float disappearing momentarily as a ninja salmon managed to strip it off of the pin clean as a whistle! After losing a few more shrimp to gravity and eventually losing the entire rig to a rock, I despondently marched the long walk back to the car with the intention of calling it a day as it was clear skies, red hot, low water and I was withering away in my neoprenes [ I actually thought my waders were leaking, it was sweat!!!].

Bumped into a few guys on the way back to the car who explained they had caught a grilse the previous night on a Mepps, this seemed to rekindle my enthusiasm and I decided, despite the difficult conditions, to at least practice my atrocious spey casting for a while.

I had my doubts to be honest as I rigged up an intermediate tip and a size 10 cascade double, with a downstream wind and never having even tried a double spey [rhb]. At the moment there is a dutch circus set up on the river bank beside the pool and was a little concerned I might get mistaken for an escaped clown due to my casting technique!

Nevertheless I persevered and was rewarded with my first ever salmon on the fly and my first salmon for around 15 years! It made a fantastic account of itself for a wee fella, flying out the water on numerous occasions and almost giving me a heart attack with its head shaking, no landing net either.

Im so stoked I just had to share my story with you guys...

He's only a wee fella but made my bloody day :)

Brilliant, irrespective of how big the fish was, condition, size, how fresh the story alone deserves to win this month.

I myself love fishing the shrimp but to try so hard with the bait and then give up to go back with the fly in low water and catch deserves the win. No matter who posts after this, no matter how big they are or when/where/how/conditions I think you'll be getting my vote.

Well done....

easky

Reaction score
Double trouble on the Finn

You hear about this happening but never thought I would capture it on camera.... just hope its ok to enter two fish in the comp :D

the inventor

Reaction score
only one winner mr. morrow which was caugth at sion mills an released photo on mournereports facebook make your own mind up. size around 20lbs plus .