Fish of the Month - October 2012

Fruin

Reaction score
OK folks - the competition is now open for the October 2012 Fish of the Month. The usual rules will apply. All entries must be accompanied by a photograph or video of the catch, along with details of where the fish was caught, and what tactics were used.

Up for grabs for the lucky winner is a Salmon Fishing Forum cap, as available in the forum shop...

All entries must be caught on the month of the competition and posted by midnight on the last day of that month.
We will trust that members will only submit entries of fish caught during the month in the title of this thread. Only one entry per member.
There will be only one winner each month, to be decided by the moderators of this forum. Please note that the winning entry will not necessarily be the largest fish, as all factors of the capture and the detail in the posting will be considered. The moderators decision will be final.
The winner will be announced on this thread and contacted for details of the delivery address for their prize.
Good luck! :)

Juno

Reaction score
I will get the ball rolling!
After last months entry of my 13 lber posing beside the TCX rod I went to fish on the 4th of October and was putting line out to get casting and the very first cast I herd crack and the TCX broke 3" from the bottom top section:mad:! I was gutted.
Went out Saturday 6th and was not long fishing when the sun came up and all the cloud disappeared! so I went to a small pool were the sun had not reached and this is the result, a nice 9.5lber on the same #11 Calvin shrimp I got the 13lber on:)!

Oscar

Reaction score
Seeing some of the fish in other threads, I'm not sure my entry will get close, but at least it allows me to have a chance!

Fishing the Don above Alford, as we always do at this time of year, we were lucky enough to have a drop of rain mid-week, which stirred things up a little and seemed to get things moving.

The Wednesday promised great things, but heavier rain up the valley than we had thought meant the river was rising all day. Come Thursday, we had cloud cover, the river at a good height and a nice whisky colour to the water. Some would foolishly say a perfect day...

Up went the Greys Greyflex M2 14ft and Scierra XDP with my new floating Mach 55 and sinking polyleader. On the business end a Gledswood Stoat Orange, size 9, bought from Hartley Fly, tied to 15lb Maxima; very standard, but nice set up.

Fishing one of the Beats best pools, Upper Forresters, I made my way slowly and carefully down through the many taking spots. On about the fifth or sixth cast, a long draw, and all went solid. The line slid away in that mesmerising way and I lifted in to the fish. Instantly it felt bigger than the 4, 5 and 6lbers we had been getting so far.

A shout to my mate downriver saw him do his Usain impression, and up he came to man the net. A couple of very strong runs later, and a few heartstopping moments with the line wrapped round his head, saw my biggest fish to date safely in the net. At 13lb 2oz, not huge, but a pound or so heavier than my previous PB.

Here he is in all his glory, and with bloody sharp teeth!

Oscar.

SALMON RUSHDIE

Reaction score
Well done Oscar
A personal best makes your adrenalin run hope you finish the year with another pb very well done
Cheers craig

Nobby

Reaction score
October fish

This is my son Liam he's 13 years old, he caught this fish last week on the river Ribble on a red shrimp bottle tube 9mm. i used to give him some tips on what to do but now i ask him for the advise!!!:confused:

Cheers, Nobby

Last edited:

jasone

Reaction score
20lb fish Grizzly Drainer does it again!

Got this yesterday from the Nith 20lb on a Grizzly Drainer my second biggest to date on fly so im well chuffed.

Cheers Jason
:D

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
There is still time!

Forum members have until midnight to get entries in for this months FOTM competition. The winning entry will receive an SFF cap for their efforts.

So come on, let's see all of those late autumn Crocs and Bars o' Silver!

Last edited:

Guest002

Reaction score
A last gasp effort from the Don

Well, this season has seen a lot of firsts for me.

First fly only season.

Not only that I managed 10 fish for the first time in a season ever......

and the last fish was this one - a new PB @ 20 lbs

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score

i know its a out of season sea trout but the salmon i got in october didnt reach over 7lb so cant compete with the fish already posted.
had a good season and this is my biggest sea trout about 6.8lb
and obviously returend caught on the river ehen on fly

keirstream

Reaction score
i know its a out of season sea trout but the salmon i got in october didnt reach over 7lb so cant compete with the fish already posted.
had a good season and this is my biggest sea trout about 6.8lb
and obviously returend caught on the river ehen on fly

And it looks kelted.
If it weighed nearly 7lbs in that condition , it would probably be nearer 10lbs last June.:)
A topper.:cool:

Mr Fishin

Reaction score
Last minute entry. ;)
My PB salmon on the fly @ 18.5lb and the first time I've been taken to the backing by a fish :D
Caught on a 3/4inch Willie Gunn tube.

Fruin

Reaction score
OK, after the usual deliberation we have a winner. Just because his fish looks like such brute and typifies autumn fishing we have selected Piker's 20lb don fish as this months winner.
However, to also mark success for a younger angler, we will also send an SFF cap to young Liam.
So, if Piker and Nobby can send me messages with the delivery addresses I will get the caps of on the first wagon leaving the big smoke!

Well done to all who entered.

Guest002

Reaction score
OK, after the usual deliberation we have a winner. Just because his fish looks like such brute and typifies autumn fishing we have selected Piker's 20lb don fish as this months winner.
However, to also mark success for a younger angler, we will also send an SFF cap to young Liam.
So, if Piker and Nobby can send me messages with the delivery addresses I will get the caps of on the first wagon leaving the big smoke!

Well done to all who entered.

I'm well stoked