Fish of the Month - May 2012

Fruin

Reaction score
We've decided to run a Fish of the Month competition each month for the rest of this season (time and resources permitting). The winner each month will receive a Salmon Fishing Forum cap, as available in the forum shop...

The rules will be that you must submit at least one photo of your capture along with the story of where and when it was caught, and, some detail of the tackle and methods employed to catch the fish. All entries must be made by midnight on the last day of the month.
There will be only one winner each month, to be decided by the moderators of this forum. Please note that the winning entry will not necessarily be the largest fish as all factors of the capture will be considered. The moderators decision will be final.
The winner will be announced on this thread and contacted for details of the delivery address for their prize.
Good luck! :)

Last edited:

wagner18

Reaction score
hahahahaa :p:p:p

no i wasn't going to enter i as wanting to see other peoples fish

but now you say that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

haha

Fruin

Reaction score
Sorry folks, I've been working away the last couple of days and had internet access issues.
No, the Spring comp is not active at the moment. However, as stated at the start of this thread, this one should run every month for the rest of this season and possibly beyond, depending on it's popularity.

Billydun34

Reaction score
I'd like to enter this beauty for fish of the month
it weighed 23lb and measured 37"
I caught this one on the River Don at Inverurie Aberdeenshire yesterday, my setup was 13 ft Greys gs 8# with airflo multi tip line with a floating head and a slow sinking leader, the fly was a 1" plastic Posh Tosh cast out at 45 degree then left to fish round no retrieve..

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
Hi,

Can I ask that all entrants include details of the location / tackle / tactics etc. as per the rules at the start of the thread?

GTB

Reaction score
Fruin,
Hope that guy that caught 67 fish in the day on the varzuga doesnt send his pictures in!!!! blimey he has 67 for a day to choose from where ordinary folks are lucky to get one in a month, plus "Springer" would need to buy some more servers to hold all the images!:p:p:p:p

Last edited:

Bucktail Bob

Banned
Reaction score
good idea making it monthly as before i would forget about it and was never sure when the voting was due to start when it's monthly i will know it is time to vote.

Fruin

Reaction score
Late April will be fine for this one as it is the first comp. In all honesty I have no way of checking when the fish was caught and will have to rely on the honesty of members.

wagner18

Reaction score

my first salmon 16 pounds ( covered in long tailed sea lice) caught on a size 7 double cascade variant. caught on a floating line with a super fast sink tip in a heavy current on hoddom on the annan cast about 65 degrees, 70 degrees letting it swing ( shakespeare goldenfly 13ft, pfleuger president reel,john norris shooting head) got a pull cast again fish on.

Last edited:

Dabbler.07

Reaction score
Wagner if that doesnt win there something badly wrong! And a first fish as well! Ya wee shite, i've been fishing long before you run about primary school with a snot stuck to your upper lip, and have never came close to that size!!;):D

Fruin

Reaction score
Both cracking entries so far. Your smile says it all Wagner18 :cool:

Just under two days to get your entries in guys. Come on it's hard enough to decide between the two fish that have already been entered, why not make it even more difficult for us poor mods? ;)

jimbo220

Reaction score
right from the mint

OK.
I WILL DROP MY ONE IN,
May 17th NITH DGAA 13lb AND STRAIGHT FROM THE MINT,
CAUGHT ON FLY AROUND 3PM. FIRST DAY OUT WITH MY NEW MACKENZIE ROD [HONEST]
RED FRANCIS 1/2"COPPER TUBE,
FISH RETURNED

Last edited:

EDD7

Reaction score
Here is my entry

Was fishing Upper farleyer on the Tay at start of the month and caught this spanking clean fish at 16.30 after thrashing the water all day , fish was caught on a black and yellow /gold bodied tube fly and weighed roughly 13lbs , My first ever Salmon on the fly and only my second time trying and will never forget it :D:D:D

Fish was returned to continue its journey , p.s trying to upload video but not working

Cheers ed

Fruin

Reaction score
OK guys & girls, you have until midnight to submit any further entries. All of the entries have been superb so far with a good class of fresh fish, as we would expect from spring fishing.
Remember there is a prize of an SFF cap for this competition.

Stockybasher

Reaction score
OK Fruin, cap thrown down !!
Was going to enter this in the Spring Competition - but see thats not happening now!

Caught on 6 APRIL on the Dee at Park - pool was Park Inn, north bank. Taken on an 8wt AFS, Clear Inty Trout Polyleader and size 13 Cascade variant.
16lbs weighed by head ghillie, Keith Cromar. The long tailed sea lice must have weighed 4 oz at least ;);):D:D

BUT......I think Wagner18 should win this time, as I already have the cap - and he obviously needs one !! :cool:

Best to everone for the rest of the season
Nick

Last edited: