Fish of the Month - June 2012

Fruin

Reaction score
Welcome to the latest Fish of the Month competition for June 2012. Up for grabs for the lucky winner is a Salmon Fishing Forum cap, as available in the forum shop...

The rules are that you must submit at least one photo of your capture along with the story of where and when it was caught, and, some detail of the tackle and methods employed to catch the fish. All entries must be made by midnight on the last day of the month.
We will trust that members will only submit entries of fish caught during the month in teh title of the thread.
There will be only one winner each month, to be decided by the moderators of this forum. Please note that the winning entry will not necessarily be the largest fish as all factors of the capture will be considered. The moderators decision will be final.
The winner will be announced on this thread and contacted for details of the delivery address for their prize.
Good luck! :)

Paul Greenacre

Banned
Reaction score
15lb Atlantic Salmon caught on Hampshire Avon - 11.6.2012

Caught on the Somerley estate, on a mepps 4 copper blade, red and yellow beaded body.

for video footage please see

Atlantic Salmon Caught off Hampshire Avon 11.6.12 - YouTube

Fruin

Reaction score
Well done on your fish Paul and well done for managing to get the footage.
That looks like a nice stretch of water - does it produce a lot of fish?

Paul Greenacre

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Fruin,

its a lovely stretch of water, in the right conditions you can chest wade from either side and present the fly nicely through the pool. Last year I landed a fish on the fly whilst in the water and it virtually shot between my legs.

It's a resting spot for the salmon as Ashley bends and straight have fast flowing pools below, and then you have the fast water above swan island that drops into blashford corner pool and has a lovely gravel bar that the fish like to tuck in behind.

I lost a large fish last year and 10 days later returned to the pool to try again. I made contact with the same fish again, and managed to extract the lost mepps, but lost the fish for the second time.

So fish do hold in these pools, but you need to get the flow and visibility right to maximise your chances. I like 5-10 feet of visibility, with a moderate flow. I work the mepps up stream to allow the spinner to drop a couple of feet, just above the weed beds, and then slowly retreive toward me at a 60 degree angle. I use 20 pound maxima ( about a foot in length) attached to a 35lb swivel attached to 300 yds of 25 lb (.2mm) braid.

Day ticket is £ 35 and you will find plenty of Pools on the estate will be available.

Avon diary 2012 holds a lot more info - including pics, pools. John Level looks after the estate and writes the beautiful avon diary with fish updates, wild life, conservation, and tributes to members both past and present.

Glad you like the fish and video.

Best wishes

:cool:

Fruin

Reaction score
Come on guys and girls, get your trophy shots and fishy stories in for this months competition, or are you all waiting to see if you can better your catch before the end of the month?

Fruin

Reaction score
Ok guys and girls, surely there has to have been more than one fish caught this month. With under two hours to go we still only have one entry!
Could be an easy win for Paul.

Fruin

Reaction score
Well, with only one entry this month, the moderators don't have to deliberate too long when picking the winner!
Well done to Paul Greenacre with his winning entry.

Paul, if you can send me a private message with details of your delivery address, I'll get the cap out in the post to you. Well done again.