Fish of the Month - July 2012

Fruin

Reaction score
Welcome to the Fish of the Month competition for July 2012. Up for grabs for the lucky winner is a Salmon Fishing Forum cap, as available in the forum shop...

The rules are that you must submit at least one photo of your capture along with the story of where and when it was caught, and, some detail of the tackle and methods employed to catch the fish. All entries must be made by midnight on the last day of the month.
We will trust that members will only submit entries of fish caught during the month in the title of this thread.
There will be only one winner each month, to be decided by the moderators of this forum. Please note that the winning entry will not necessarily be the largest fish, as all factors of the capture will be considered. The moderators decision will be final.
The winner will be announced on this thread and contacted for details of the delivery address for their prize.
Good luck! :)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Not the biggest fish I've ever caught and probably not even the biggest that will be entered in this month's competition but I think it sums the Month of July up perfectly. Early Morning Grilse.

Caught on the Cloghan Estate waters River Finn Co. Donegal on the 1st July after 5am start. It was the first of a brace.

Considering I was off to Manchester the Following day to see the Stone Roses I really should have been else where but I got that Feeling on Thursday afternoon and had to go. She understood.... I think:p

Medium Sink tip and a Size 9 Tweety Pie.

Salmon Bob

Reaction score
Well as its my personal best sea trout i thought i would enter!

I caught this sea trout on the 4th july 2012 on the River Coquet it was 1 of three fish i landed last night.
Initially i thought it was a salmon as it didnt fight like a sea trout.
I used a floating line with 5ft inter poly leader along with my usual summer cast of a sparse cascade on the point and a silver stoat on the dropper.

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
Come on folks, let's see a good number of entries in this months competition. There are certainly plenty of fish running the rivers and some of you must be nipping a few between the floods.

wormo

Reaction score
fish of the month

heres my entry although would have preferred it to still be in the river:(
was taken in hard fast water and after an epic tussel in which it managed to wrap its self up solid in weeds for a good 10 min it proceded to drift down stream 200yds in v heavy water get stuck again then when brought in was not breathing at all so it really had fought to the death. should be happy to get such a magnificent creature but dont really feel that way.
Anyway weighed it at 17lb and the length was 35.5" by 18.5" girth which i think is about right.
cheers craig.

Last edited:

Ade

Reaction score
Tyne Sea Trout Silver

I'll put this one in because it was a personal best Sea Trout and because it was my first ever on an English river 2 days after an 11 foot flood in front of my pal who was weened on this river, he landed it for me and took the picture, I will never forget this moment, look at the colour of the water, it was about 6 foot higher the day before.

Floating SH with 10! int poly leader and size 9 Ghillie fly

6lb of pure silver Tyne quality :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I'll put this one in because it was a personal best Sea Trout and because it was my first ever on an English river 2 days after an 11 foot flood in front of my pal who was weened on this river, he landed it for me and took the picture, I will never forget this moment, look at the colour of the water, it was about 6 foot higher the day before.

Floating SH with 10! int poly leader and size 9 Ghillie fly

6lb of pure silver Tyne quality :D:D:D:D

Aye, that's my River. Brought up fishing Corbridge. But nothing better than telling a pal about it - for 20 years - then he comes and gets a fish. That's priceless.

Fruin

Reaction score
Some quality fish coming through this month so far :)
Can I remind everyone to put up details of river / loch and tactics please?

kgm

Reaction score
One from the Nore

My daughter with a Nore salmon, I didn't want to spoil the picture

This hen was caught immediately above the town run on the Nore(Irish: An Fheoir), in Inistioge, County Kilkenny on Thursday 12th July shortly after 4pm as the tide was going off the river. We had very heavy showers throughout the day, the river was high but not rising and visibility was very good considering.

Many would consider 0.8 on the guage to be ideal fly water.

My setup on the day was a 13'3" zpey #8/9, 27gram sink 0/1/2 zpey fusion line and 10 ft tapered leader (seaguar 3' of 50lb, 3' of 35lb and 4' of 23lb). Have to thank forum member K-Spey for all the advice on tapered leaders.

The fly is a micro variation of the Em fly, tied with no body. Simple soft pink and flash tail, soft pink and claret hackle all tied inside a tungsten conehead. The "body" is a size 10 double inside a propellerfly fluro pink 10mm swing-tube. The fly was fished with the hook points facing upwards.

It took 15 minutes of pure exhileration to land the fish but there was a lot of blood coming from her mouth, so the priest was called. I have to thank, well known, local angler Ned for netting the fish for me. There were around 20 fresh lice on her. The fish weighted in at 15lb 10oz, 3 hours after being caught.

It was my second fish from the same spot this week, having released a net marked 5lb grilse on Tuesday, again at 4pm. I'm sure you can guess where I'll be this Tuesday afternoon. Good luck to all who enter, some lovely fish displayed this month.

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
Not the biggest fish i have ever caught this is only about 5 or 6lb, but its my 1st of the season and the earliest i have ever caught a salmon. 19/7/12 caught on the river ehen the river was about 1foot on the marker and this fish was caught on a black and gold flying condom and it had sea lice on it

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
This fish is my new pb by 2oz haha it was 12lb 3oz and 31inch so im really pleased caught it 20/7/12 river about 2inch above the spinning marker so i was useing a black and gold flying condom again and i lost a fish in the morning about 10lb and then a few hours later i caught this beauty and it didnt half put up a good scrap!

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
There have been some excellent entries so far this month. You still have a week to enter for your chance to win a SFF Cap. All you have to do is enter a picture of a fish you have caught this month, with details of the fish, where it was caught, and, what tactics lured it.
Good luck with your entry! :)

Strathglass

Reaction score
A Father's Story

First rod of her own - all setup and ready to go.

A few words of advice -

Picks it up in no time -

10 minutes later a first ever fish and a very, very happy wee girl(and an even happier Dad!) :D:D:D

3rd of July on a wee loch in Skye, 7ft spinner and wee red and gold mepps - she has since followed it up with a few more - a Salmon is next on the hit list! ;)

PS She was given the option of keeping or carefully returning her first fish - no hesitation - "let's take it home and eat it!!" :D:D:D

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
Saturday's Fish!

Not many entries, so I'll add this one into the mix!

As said in the picture gallery - about 8lb and covered in sealice - straight off the tide. Back on it's merry way to the headwaters!

Caught on Sat 28th July on the South Esk, full floating SH with a tiny Conehead Kinermony Killer tied on a sea fishing crimp, lined with plastic

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
Can I remind all that have entered this months competition that you must add the details of where you caught the fish and what tackle and tactics were used?
This is critical in determining who the winner will be when there are fish of similar quality. Any entries without this detail will not be considered.

ameliasdaddy

Reaction score
This fish is my new pb by 2oz haha it was 12lb 3oz and 31inch so im really pleased caught it 20/7/12 river about 2inch above the spinning marker so i was useing a black and gold flying condom again and i lost a fish in the morning about 10lb and then a few hours later i caught this beauty and it didnt half put up a good scrap!

Cracking fish mate well done, I fish the Ehen too, Egremont stretch, I had my first for the season last Friday, first July fish for me, no photees though as she went back but I'd guess around 8 lb.

Fruin

Reaction score
Well it was another tough one this month, but after the usual deliberation we have decided to award the SFF Cap to KGM for not only the quality of his fish, but also for the detail that was included in the accompanying report.

If you can pm me your delivery address I'll get the cap off to you as soon as I am able.

As a bit of encouragement on her journey to catching her first salar, we have also decided to send Strathglass' young nipper a new SFF cap. So if he wants to send me an address or arrange to pick it up locally we'll sort that one out.

Bucktail Bob

Banned
Reaction score

10 minutes later a first ever fish and a very, very happy wee girl(and an even happier Dad!) :D:D:D

PS She was given the option of keeping or carefully returning her first fish - no hesitation - "let's take it home and eat it!!" :D:D:D

Brilliant! And a happier wee lassie you would do well to find at that moment in time, priceless.