Fish of The Month August 2012

Fruin

Reaction score
Welcome to the Fish of the Month competition for August 2012. Up for grabs for the lucky winner is a Salmon Fishing Forum cap, as available in the forum shop...

The rules are that you must submit at least one photo of your capture along with the story of where and when it was caught, and, some detail of the tackle and methods employed to catch the fish - please remember to do this! All entries must be made by midnight on the last day of the month.
We will trust that members will only submit entries of fish caught during the month in the title of this thread.
There will be only one winner each month, to be decided by the moderators of this forum. Please note that the winning entry will not necessarily be the largest fish, as all factors of the capture and the detail in the posting will be considered. The moderators decision will be final.
The winner will be announced on this thread and contacted for details of the delivery address for their prize.
Good luck! :)

Tailfire

Reaction score
Gravenue 3rd August 2012

The Gravenue is a well known and beautiful pool on the Mourne River at Sion Mills. I had arrived at approximately 5.30 that morning. It was nicely overcast and mild. The river was high, as it has been most of the year and was still a little coloured after the most recent fresh water. There were already two anglers down the pool in front of me:- one fly fishing and one spinning. The height of the pool suggested that the best opportunity for a fish was going to be the bottom third. I was fishing a Windcutter 1 10/11/12 using the 15ft intermediate tip on a Lamson Litespeed 4 reel and Loomis GLX 15ft 10/11 rod. I was fishing a size 8 Glenties Shrimp on the point and a size 10 Bann Special on the dropper since I had taken the temperature of the water on arrival and it was around the 15C mark. I hooked the fish at the tail end of the pool. About 45 seconds into the fight the spool came off my reel and fell into the river. I have learned subsequently that this is a known problem with Litespeeds. Trouble was the barrel nut and directional wind grommet had come off as well so there was no way to put the spool back on even if it was recovered. I was also experimenting with my sons headcam.Fish was estimated by all present to be around the 12lb mark and was safely released. You can see the whole thing unfold below :D
Gravenue 3 August 2012 - YouTube

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
Well done for landing that fish Tailfire, and for providing the details in your entry.

C'mon folks, it's August for goodness sake, surely there are a few fish to be entered this month.

micky finn

Banned
Reaction score
Quite a situation tailfire. I have had reel feet braking on me during a fight lol.
Can i just ask about your thinking in putting two very similar flies on the cast i know the glenties has that extra hackle but to me very similar. I would always try and have a bigger brighter fly on point and then in contrast a smaller more sombre fly. For example a cascade and maybe a currys red shrimp.
Just one mans opinion but glad to hear yours

Tailfire

Reaction score
Thanks for comments everyone. Micky Finn as anyone who knows me will tell you I almost always without fail fish a Bann Special. However I always fish the fly I think has the best chance on the point. There was just a tinge of colour in the water and on that basis I fished the Glenties which I favour in that situation. However my OCD on the Bann Special meant I put one on the dropper. Incidentally I had a second fish that day about an hour later of about 6lb which took the Bann Special! I have that one on video as well if you get bored :D
B

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
Got this today its 9lb on the river ehen caught spinning useing a black and silver condom, fought that well i thought it was coming off, the river was about 1foot and half on the marker and had a tinge of colour had a sea trout early on then i got this..

Fruin

Reaction score
For the comedy value, as much as anything else, this month winner is Tailfire ;). Well done to TF and Ban The Shrimp for their entries this month. If TF can pm his delivery address, I will get his SFF cap off to him as soon as I can get to a post office.

Fruin

Reaction score
I know thw feeling IBM. Worked hard for a fish today on the North Esk and managed to hook one stripping a sunray type thingimyjig, only to lose it on it's first change in direction! :rolleyes:
It's Spetember, it was the North Esk, the river was around a foot or just over and nobody that was fishing our beat saw a fresh fish all day. Is anybody monitoring the netting operations to ensure their sweep is continuous, especially when the high tides are during the night? Maybe another thread entirely! ;)

Last edited:

long Preston

Reaction score
where are you catching these?-used to fish the Ehen in the early 90,s and had a fair number of fish myself from the egremont stretch and down to dark corner-i used to find they were great takers. the thing that amazed me was the numbers that returned year after year despite getting hammered by the two legged fish hounds from dodge city and abaline-using the tried and tested maryport wobbler(snatch) and snares

Ban The Shrimp

Reaction score
where are you catching these?-used to fish the Ehen in the early 90,s and had a fair number of fish myself from the egremont stretch and down to dark corner-i used to find they were great takers. the thing that amazed me was the numbers that returned year after year despite getting hammered by the two legged fish hounds from dodge city and abaline-using the tried and tested maryport wobbler(snatch) and snares

on the egremont stretch i dont really go down dark corner and that much because its always full with people so i stick to egremont area