Fish locators.

Isisalar

Reaction score
My Carp mad son has just bought a device which apparently is some sort of float, like a marker float, with a video camera on the bottom which can be viewed on a mobile phone.
He will be able to see if there are any fish where it is, if any bait has been taken etc.
I can think of a lie where this could easily tell me if there were any Salmon in residence and if a journey down to meet them would be worthwhile.
Battery life notwithstanding these could be left in situ permanently and could tell people exactly where and if there are Salmon on/in a pool/beat.
It's progress and it's not going to stop.
Can't say I'm overly keen on this development but there are a few locations it could be very useful.
I've heard that a successful Avon angler uses something similar.
Be nice I'm only the messenger.

lefthandup

Reaction score
My Carp mad son has just bought a device which apparently is some sort of float, like a marker float, with a video camera on the bottom which can be viewed on a mobile phone.
He will be able to see if there are any fish where it is, if any bait has been taken etc.
I can think of a lie where this could easily tell me if there were any Salmon in residence and if a journey down to meet them would be worthwhile.
Battery life notwithstanding these could be left in situ permanently and could tell people exactly where and if there are Salmon on/in a pool/beat.
Can't say I'm overly keen on this development but there are a few locations it could be very useful.
Can we no get an 'Auldghillie'' locator...that would be fun !

VPN finder

budge

Reaction score
There's loads of gadgets available now, not my cup of tea but speci hunters love them. I've a mate who's into piking and sometimes uses a radio controlled boat fitted with an echo sounder that links to his phone. He can use it to drop his deadbait in the middle of the lake if he wants.
Got to admit there's times in early spring when a peep underwater could let you know if you're flogging a dead horse

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I’ve often thought about attaching my go pro copy to a stick and gently lowering it into a pool that always holds fish and that I would love the see the shape of under the water.

salarchaser

Reaction score
An acquaintence on my club trout still water puts a fishfinder on the back of a boat.
He catches a lot of fish. Wondered why he rowed backwards and slowly. Looking for fish, then drops anchor and sits on them.
Not my idea of fishing but each to their own.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ive seem the ones you cast out and view on a phone. Garunteed id put it in a tree second cast and loose it

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

GeeBee

Reaction score
An acquaintence on my club trout still water puts a fishfinder on the back of a boat.
He catches a lot of fish. Wondered why he rowed backwards and slowly. Looking for fish, then drops anchor and sits on them.
Not my idea of fishing but each to their own.

Thats how they fish for bass, walleye and lake trout in the US.

To be fair, their ponds are bigger than our reservoirs mostly.

I thought about the periscope idea once, but seeing fish there and still not catching would be even more depressing 🤣

nickolas

Reaction score
If you could see what’s in a pool you would probably pack up and go home. I have floated a camera down a pool to prove there was no fish, I’ve seen it used in Norway on a pool they couldn’t understand why they couldn’t get a pull, floated a camera down the pool, played back on the lap top to see 5 fish with there heads under a over hanging shelf of rock, So the fish couldn’t see the fly.

JoeE

Reaction score
Am of the opinion its a massive help. after using one for pike, I'll be adding one to my boat and most definitely tempted to run it down a few pools to get an idea of at least the underwater topology.

salarchaser

Reaction score
What next, flies with cameras on linked to a screen on the rod butt, just go fishing and take a chance before we lose the meaning of it all, depth finders for lochs and lakes yes, not rivers, less screen time the better :)
This saves getting your waders on.
Spinning, float fished shrimp or worm, maybe even a collie dog.
A bivvy on your favourite pool.
Sorted.

Hook a decent fish and a line from jaws might come into play.

Elibank

Reaction score
Am of the opinion its a massive help. after using one for pike, I'll be adding one to my boat and most definitely tempted to run it down a few pools to get an idea of at least the underwater topology.
This ignores Rule 1 of salmon fishing, that states quite clearly that you should never catch a fish until you have lost a fly on every snag....

luney

Reaction score
I fear this would remove a lot of the romance of fishing to be honest.