Fish&Fly Profile: Marina Gibson

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Roag Fisher,

that's as maybe, but as anyone who (like me) is self employed will tell you that you don't get forward by being backward. Marina Gibson and her ilk don't have the security of salaried employment and have to fight for every client. If that involves a degree of over-statement in advertising and promotion, so be it. The future of any business depends on delivering the goods for the customer, and she knows that as well as anyone.

More importantly, those that deride her - "forgotten more than you know etc" - miss all manner of essential points. First, that no one got bigger or better by putting anyone else down. Second, to paraphrase Michael Faraday, knowledge is useless if you cannot or fail to communicate it. And third, our sport needs all the friends it can get. So on all three counts, having someone in the sport who knows enough to be credible, is an excellent communicator, and can engage with over half of the population, can only benefit all of us and the future of salmon fishing.

goosander

Reaction score
As this is a free forum I have to ask does it matter who's paid and who isn't so long as the articles are relevant? I get it is funded by advertising but so long as its relevant content that some (most?) enjoy it makes no real difference to me. I truly don't get why in this country we always seem to want to focus on the negatives rather than the positives! If nothing else its a positive addition given the debate that its started...;)
I can not understand how people get up tight about some one fishing. If you do not like it do not read it and if not happy move on. I just look who is posting and certain members i would not waste my time reading.
For what it is worth i think this forum has improved over the years.
Bob.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Roag Fisher,

that's as maybe, but as anyone who (like me) is self employed will tell you that you don't get forward by being backward. Marina Gibson and her ilk don't have the security of salaried employment and have to fight for every client. If that involves a degree of over-statement in advertising and promotion, so be it. The future of any business depends on delivering the goods for the customer, and she knows that as well as anyone.

More importantly, those that deride her - "forgotten more than you know etc" - miss all manner of essential points. First, that no one got bigger or better by putting anyone else down. Second, to paraphrase Michael Faraday, knowledge is useless if you cannot or fail to communicate it. And third, our sport needs all the friends it can get. So on all three counts, having someone in the sport who knows enough to be credible, is an excellent communicator, and can engage with over half of the population, can only benefit all of us and the future of salmon fishing.
:ROFLMAO:
Salmon angling ghillieing/guiding is one of those vocations where, undeniably, the more you do it, the better you get at it, and no amount of being forward will compensate for a lack of experience (which is knowledge in the salmon game, especially if you are away from home waters doing the "guiding". Some of the "forward" mob are branching out into Scotland to ply their trade and rely on the more experienced ghillies in place already to tell them what to do).
Lets say those commenting were already at the top of the tree for both casting, fishing and guiding.
The important part is that it is wrong for experienced anglers to stand back and watch fellow brothers and sisters of the angle getting fleeced. Are anglers to be regarded as customers or fellow anglers you help and do the best to help? Should charging £100s for a slick service not based on the level of experience the already in place ghillie can provide for free be called out? I think it should.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I agree that they should not displace the work of established ghillies. The grey area is when these guides put together a party and rent a ghillied beat for a period, which of course is welcome income for the fishery. However, in that event they should work with the incumbent.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I agree that they should not displace the work of established ghillies. The grey area is when these guides put together a party and rent a ghillied beat for a period, which of course is welcome income for the fishery. However, in that event they should work with the incumbent.
I agree with that totally. For me the benefit of a ghillie is that largely they have done an apprenticeship on the beat, or at least the river, either as an angler or under the senior ghillie and so can advise on lies and flies likely to produce at the time of year and conditions being experienced. They are often skilled enough to be able to point out tweaks to the cast and have an aim of making sure that every client leaves happy having learned something even if they didn't catch.

For me, a guide is for where there is no ghillie available and the angler has no idea how to approach a new venue type such as the first time the angler visits a river.

Last edited: