Fish&Fly Profile: Marina Gibson

mows

Reaction score
Personally i dont think theres anything sexist.
It just seems strange to me that the forum actually pays someone to put up these articles.
A least this one is being looked at and commented.
When many on here contribute far more.
Especially in relation to salmon fishing for free.

What is so special about John Baileys articles that he gets paid for them.?

Especially when there is such a poor response to them.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It just seems strange to me that the forum actually pays someone to put up these articles.

The articles are published across all of our websites, not just here. We think it’s worth investing in quality content, and John is a fantastic writer.
Professionals should be paid for their work!

mows

Reaction score
The articles are published across all of our websites, not just here. We think it’s worth investing in quality content, and John is a fantastic writer.
Professionals should be paid for their work!
Yet John seems to know less about salmon fishing than many on here.
You wont put up a prize for the flytying competition, yet insist on paying someone to put up articles with little or no salmon content, to get viewed by less people that even some of the silly threads on here.

lax0341

Reaction score
And please bear in mind that this is quite an international forum. There are much more really fantastic female salmon and seatrout fishers and even professionals as described in the article.
There are for instance Glenda Powell, Mary Anne Sawada, Torrill Kolbu, and a lot of others especially in the scandinavian countries.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
“She’s very rightly frustrated that anglers are very happy to pay what it takes to get a plumber round, but quibble about paying a guide for providing them with the best days of their lives” 🤣🤣🤣😂

#
1st world problems

I’m sure Marina is a decent person and a great fisher. Perhaps a good article with some fishing tips or a report of a particularly memorable fishing trip would have been a better way of bringing out aspects of her ‘story’ that John thinks we need to know. Instead, there really is a gushing and the piece is as subtle as a brick.

What is particularly grating is the apparent need for everyone to have some kind of cliched struggle against adversity. ‘The Chaos of Brexit’ etc etc.

Marina is clearly intelligent, articulated and well connected. I would surmise she’s also not short of a Bob or two. She sells an expensive service with very slick marketing to generally very well off people. Good for her and good luck with the business.

However, somethinh tells me she wasn’t living in a van on baked beans for three years while getting the Orvis Guide qualification and exclusive use of water on the Ure - water which had largely been opened up and publicised by other guides over the years. Top tip: your life isn’t a struggle, don’t pretend it is, in this case don’t let others pretend it is either.

While being a woman in an overwhelmingly male business must be difficult at times, it’s also the reason she has a high profile and it no doubt helps differentiate her from the plethora of more experienced guides out there. Marina herself is a very prominent part of nearly every picture. Swings and roundabouts.

Just in case this is dismissed as the rantings of a mysoginist. My mum was taught to fish by my dad, she caught a Salmon before he did. She fished with my brother and I this year and my daughters are just about ready to start fishing. If anyone asks my girls what they wear under their waders, then stand by.

Oscar

Reaction score
Have I missed something? I didn’t read any of the posts (that were not deleted) as sexist at all - maybe I missed the subtl but to me they were solely criticising the purpose of the post and had absolutely nothing to do with Marina being a woman.

Men get equal treatment on this forum as I see it - Robson is a case in point.

Oscar.

Loxie

Reaction score
“She’s very rightly frustrated that anglers are very happy to pay what it takes to get a plumber round, but quibble about paying a guide for providing them with the best days of their lives” 🤣🤣🤣😂

#
1st world problems

I’m sure Marina is a decent person and a great fisher. Perhaps a good article with some fishing tips or a report of a particularly memorable fishing trip would have been a better way of bringing out aspects of her ‘story’ that John thinks we need to know. Instead, there really is a gushing and the piece is as subtle as a brick.

What is particularly grating is the apparent need for everyone to have some kind of cliched struggle against adversity. ‘The Chaos of Brexit’ etc etc.

Marina is clearly intelligent, articulated and well connected. I would surmise she’s also not short of a Bob or two. She sells an expensive service with very slick marketing to generally very well off people. Good for her and good luck with the business.

However, somethinh tells me she wasn’t living in a van on baked beans for three years while getting the Orvis Guide qualification and exclusive use of water on the Ure - water which had largely been opened up and publicised by other guides over the years. Top tip: your life isn’t a struggle, don’t pretend it is, in this case don’t let others pretend it is either.

While being a woman in an overwhelmingly male business must be difficult at times, it’s also the reason she has a high profile and it no doubt helps differentiate her from the plethora of more experienced guides out there. Marina herself is a very prominent part of nearly every picture. Swings and roundabouts.

Just in case this is dismissed as the rantings of a mysoginist. My mum was taught to fish by my dad, she caught a Salmon before he did. She fished with my brother and I this year and my daughters are just about ready to start fishing. If anyone asks my girls what they wear under their waders, then stand by.
My daughters enjoy fishing too but I'm trying not too make it all too easy for them. As you say if anyone asked them what they wear under their waders then there would be trouble

there is absolutely no doubt that Misogyny, and racism, is still far too prevalent in this country. I look forward to the day we can read profiles of anglers from all parts of society without haven't to point out their gender or ethnicity.

on the wider point there is a bit of a laddy culture in parts of this forum and as Michael said upthread we should all try and make this place a more inclusive space: it would be to everyone's benefit to do so.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
on the wider point there is a bit of a laddy culture in parts of this forum and as Michael said upthread we should all try and make this place a more inclusive space: it would be to everyone's benefit to do so.
Ok I’ll reply, I’m not looking for an argument but compelled to reply to this point. Regarding laddish culture, I’m not sure you really have a problem with this or it’s just you don’t like certain posters. You yourself can be laddish, calling Packham a ***** for starters, but that’s acceptable, and you are ignoring the important fact that the vast majority on here are working class anglers. You continually post about catching 6,462 fish in a month ( exaggeration) on single handers in prime weeks up north in expensive unspoiled rivers and this to some may come across as elitist, snobbish and arrogant. You dont hear anyone else shouting about a Snobby Section in the forum and we need to stamp it out, so live and let live…. It’s a broad church here.
Incidentally all for more women in the sport, and enjoy reading all celebrity contributions. And I was only joking about MCXs blog, I thought it would be funny but maybe not so sorry and if a book comes out I’ll buy one..

DCH

Last edited:

kimbo

Reaction score
I have to admit I did enjoy the post as I don't read fish and fly.
For me a guest of his esteem in the angling world ought to contribute something more than posting old articles in magazines that some may have already read. I would have thought with all the programmes he'd been involved in such as Mortimer and Whitehouse etc he could have posted something a bit more informative.
Just my opinion

iainmortimer

Reaction score

As this is a free forum I have to ask does it matter who's paid and who isn't so long as the articles are relevant? I get it is funded by advertising but so long as its relevant content that some (most?) enjoy it makes no real difference to me. I truly don't get why in this country we always seem to want to focus on the negatives rather than the positives! If nothing else its a positive addition given the debate that its started...;)

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
DCH - no offence taken. I’m used to having my leg pulled, and after almost a decade on the Forum I’ve become much more hardened to such things than I was in the early days.
I’m delighted by your commitment to buy the book, if it ever appears. If it does, I’ll let you have a signed first edition for the bargain price of £100, a snip from Yorkshire for a man from the environs of Aberdeen.

Gauldalen

Reaction score
Michael!
I just hope this book will come out SOON, there is so much to learn about in your writings, and this coming from somebody who is in his 64th year of salmon fishing, has travelled a lot worldwide to fish for it and still feels he has a lot to learn! As to the signed First Edition we can always discuss about the price! :LOL::LOL::LOL:
And for those who might think that this is a paid input, it’s not!! :p

wormo

Reaction score
Sad to see the sexist comments are already starting. How depressing. No wonder we dont have many women in fly fishing!
I don't see any sexist comments unless they have been removed , my tuppence worth ,
good luck to her but I can't help feel that along with other " celebrity " type anglers she is somewhat manufactured and has skipped the hard graft parts of fishing and went right to the luxury venues
call my view , negative or jealous mabe it is but I bet she along with others of similar status never got their hands really dirty on their journey

scoops

Reaction score
I'm sure who ever has got a bite from her wont be practicing catch and release!!!

Good luck to her, id be ecstatic if id a job like that enabling me to fish the top beats and destinations of the world.

Need plenty more role the models not just for females but all across society especially in salmon fishing to bring in young and diverse new anglers , average age must be increasing year on year, Could maybe have some more publicising on here of angling associations or organisations who set up introductory days at no or minimal cost that most could afford to attend.

Igaffz

Reaction score
How can Marina be nothing but positive for angling? It’s like the Stokoe thread, if you don’t want to pay for a guide because your gods gift to angling don’t! Some right miserable old sods on this forum.

marty31

Reaction score
How can Marina be nothing but positive for angling? It’s like the Stokoe thread, if you don’t want to pay for a guide because your gods gift to angling don’t! Some right miserable old sods on this forum.
There surely is! But "horses for courses" i personally dont think that i am "gods gift to angling " but neither want a guide (who probably has little experience in that particular beat/ river standing behind me watching every cast and suggesting things that maybe i dont either agree or want to do! I like to do my own thing and have very rarely had any success with someone on a high bank, talking, or interfering , i like to start, stop, and do my own thing, so these so called "self appointed " guides can as far as i am concerned! Go get a proper job.

Igaffz

Reaction score
There surely is! But "horses for courses" i personally dont think that i am "gods gift to angling " but neither want a guide (who probably has little experience in that particular beat/ river standing behind me watching every cast and suggesting things that maybe i dont either agree or want to do! I like to do my own thing and have very rarely had any success with someone on a high bank, talking, or interfering , i like to start, stop, and do my own thing, so these so called "self appointed " guides can as far as i am concerned! Go get a proper job.
Don’t book a guide then....

lefthandup

Reaction score
Don’t book a guide then....
You won't be saying that when they take over a stretch of river and you have to pay them the extortionate prices they charge.

They don't give a toss about you or anyone else as long as they're getting the cash.... that's what matters to them...and that's all they want....your cash.

A Ghillie is adequate ,knows his or a river....no need for these guides.

Last edited:

lefthandup

Reaction score
Totally agree...☝️👍

goosander

Reaction score
I must be really old nowadays. I thought there were only a few women fishers as most women had more sense than spending the day out in usually cold weather.
Bob.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
This reminds me of comments she and some of her guiding mates were making on Facebook a while back. Best in the world, according to themselves.
They did not like the put downs from several very experiences anglers and ghillies which rightly included "forgot more than you know", "Johnny come lately", and far worse.
There is much more to being a good angling guide/ghille than slick PR.

Having written that (which at the time in the context of the drivel they were writing), I have worked for a very good angler and fly tier who knows her well and said she is a nice person who does a lot for others. I trust his judgement.