Fish Counter Summary Report

Nigel Rush

Reaction score

Thanks Jason.

Load of bull!

Kylemore this year will have a run of 3000 salmon!.... 600 maybe, poor year for salmon but with the size of our Sea Trout... 2400 will be recorded as Salmon!
Can't wait to see the reports in March!

The run of good healthy sea trout this year was wonderful. Fish counters can't differentiate between a 2-4lb specie. Even when a percentage sample is taken.
The average size of the salmon is so poor, will the IFI take this into consideration?

Sadly... the two IFI operatives in our area have no interest in angling.
Surely a necessary precursor to securing a job of this calibre, is that you have some knowledge as to what you are dealing with? Sadly not.

And while I'm on a rant.... why are they employing local staff in the locality that they live in?

I look forward to reading in March 2017, one year and three months, the statutory period before the powers that be release the figures.

Another rant... the EU Water Framework thingything is happening with us (every three years) where they are netting the Kylemore Lough overnight, tonight and will end up killing all species... Char, Sea Trout, Salmon, Minnow, Brownies and Ferrox... for what?

Enough!

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Counters if they work are very important conservation tools but if there are wrong you can end up with closed fisheries and the risk of high levels of poaching.
it is hard to believe that the numbers are as bad as shown on some of these rivers. in particular seatrout numbers seem very low. I know that the Slaney is only a partial count but IFI took circa 2000 sea trout out of the mill race at Clohamon a couple of weeks ago but only 68 went through the counter in all of last year! I would have said that the seatrout run this year is worse than last year.

nore fly

Reaction score
Been involved with two counters...over the year's..one used to count large sticks as salmon descending the river .but luckly it had photographic evidence to clear up issues but only in clear water. from what I witnessed salmon can move up a river on a flood and drop back again only to move up again and be counted twice...the other was an embarrassing shameful waste of time and money ...with a manual hit enter button for imaginary shoals of fish...shocking.......
Personally I think smaller rivers work best with counters.. but you need the addition of video evidence...the money would be better spent on patrols at sea and river spawning stream/river improvement s..

flyfisher147

Reaction score
I was just about to ask why didn't the include rivers like the bandon or the blackwater or the likes of any cork river! It seems like there are very little salmon especially in the Waterville fishery unless as above the large salmon are being counted as sea trout as it probably can't be differentiated.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
Waterville Count

Would not be entirely happy with count. Counter has many problems and one includes the identification of large sea trout which may in fact be salmon. The video is poor as in high water it is impossible to see fish. Surface must be maintained at least once a week to allow algae staining be removed from electrodes and surface in order that video can be used. Lighting is non existent so fish cannot be verified at night.
Runs of sea trout are poor over the last number of years according to catches.

I was just about to ask why didn't the include rivers like the bandon or the blackwater or the likes of any cork river! It seems like there are very little salmon especially in the Waterville fishery unless as above the large salmon are being counted as sea trout as it probably can't be differentiated.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk