First turned handle

chriswjx

Reaction score
Wasn't planning to do this this weekend, intended to make one of TFS's neat tailstocks, but other things happened (or didn't)...

Below is my first attempt at turning my own handle. Cork rings came from Marcia via ebay.

Couple of lessons I've learnt, 1 - do it outside! I decided not to brave the elements and tried to do it in my bathroom... thankfully I wore a respirator and could sit on the bathtub ledge to keep most of the mess inside the tub...
2 - I need a longer work surface. I used this work table from Lidl which at max only really allowed support just above the handle. Next time I'd want to be supported at the reel seat instead. Think I'll get a long plank which I can clamp in the table to give an extension...

Overall, happy with the results though. I know some on here prefer thicker handles, however I've done 90% of my fishing on a Loop Multi that I bought from a fellow member here. The handles on that are much thinner round where I hold the rod, and I've gotten used to that. I would have probably liked a wider ring of rubberised at the butt though just to fill the hand a touch more.

20210508_185204.jpg
20210508_191744.jpg

westie4566

Reaction score
You really wouldn't think that was your first attempt Chris - looks spot on to me and I also like the shape (y) (y)

chriswjx

Reaction score
Cheers fellas, wish I'd taken a picture before I'd turned it... I seriously struggled to drill the rings dead centre, and it looked like a bloody jenga tower 😳 was really worried it wouldn't turn right because of how mismatched the rings were...

chriswjx

Reaction score
Some lathe that is chriswjx (y)
which end goes into the drill chuck ,and what holds the other end ? you would need a dust extractor in there

There's 3 sliding door wheels on the wooden stand, and all of the handle is on the opposite side of at stand from the drill. Made it quite tricky to manage spinning, as it wasn't quite centred right and I had to manually hold it down a touch to keep it steady...

Yeah... tried rigging up the vacuum as well, but couldn't fix it right so ended up just sending cork sanding all in the bathtub... pulled the curtain as best I could as well

Bonito

Reaction score
Tidy job but you could do with something inside the hole in your support or you could easily mark a blank.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Tidy job but you could do with something inside the hole in your support or you could easily mark a blank.

Aye there's 3 wheels off a sliding door. But I'm planning to build one of those adjustable ones that TFS has... Was going to build that before I did this handle, but couldn't get around to getting the stuff from the workshop at work

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Looking great Chris.
Your off your nut doing that inside :ROFLMAO:
Did you work down to 600 grit to get it super smooth? Then seal it with u40 cork sealer?

chriswjx

Reaction score
Looking great Chris.
Your off your nut doing that inside :ROFLMAO:
Did you work down to 600 grit to get it super smooth? Then seal it with u40 cork sealer?

I realised that after the missus came in to check how I was doing, and she just shut the door a bit firmer after a quick peak

I didn't know how far to go with the sand paper, so I actually went down to 2000 :roflmao:

Yeah, it's currently sat against a stand drying with the u40 :)