First summer setup

Seanyboy

Reaction score
Hi looking for abit of advise on a summer rod currently have a 14ft rod with a 9/10 multitip sh for when the river nith is higher but feel its to much for lower water/ summer. Seen alot on here about switch rods but i was thinking more of a small double hander around 12 ft a half way house somthing that could take a shooting head or a short spey line. I like the look of the loop evotec cast 12 2 #7 any advise on this rod or any other would be great. Thanks

kenny007

Reaction score
I have a LOOP GASS 12ft 6" in the sales section that would fullfil your requirements for sure.

BW
Kenny

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I gave my review of the medium action here;

Rennie

Reaction score
A shorter 12ft-ish rod of 7-ish weight would be ideal Seanyboy, your thinking is spot on. That sort of rod will give you a few advantages over a switch rod, it'll lift and cast that bit more line, allow you to control/steer fish in play that bit more too, but be lovely to play Grilse,Sea Trout and Summer Salmon on.Ideal for smaller flies and lighter leaders too.
I don't know much about that Loop rod specifically, I personally have the 12ft 6 ins Zenith for a 7 line, use the same line as one of my switch rods, but it's much more limber, casts further and lets me control the line that bit better. Keeping that bit further away from fish and having less impact and footprint from a 7 weight line pays dividend!.I have both an Airflo Scandi Compact head and Barrio 7/8 ISS Spey line for mine, wonderfull outfit!, very versatile too. Had a good mid 20lber on mine last year from Ribble!, never a problem at all.
Don't be scared considering lighter too, such as a 6 weight!.World's your oyster!.
Pedro.

Loxie

Reaction score
I would start from the size of river you intend to fish and go from there. For summer fishing you want the lightest set up you can cover the water with, IMO. In very low water it's hard to beat a single hander on all but very big rivers and in high water you may need something bigger than a 12' on medium rivers. It's very hard to get the ne set up to do everything.

Seanyboy

Reaction score
I gave my review of the medium action here;
Thats good to know they look like nice rods and at a decent price just now aswell which is always a bonus.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Thats good to know they look like nice rods and at a decent price just now aswell which is always a bonus.
Ideal summer rod for me, well that and my Harrison blank 10 footer. I'm surprised this particular model did not pick up a devoted following.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
If you do buy this rod its alsk worth getting the GDC head in low float #7, also well discounted in the loop outlet section. Its the best casting line on this rod I have found.

Seanyboy

Reaction score
Hi rennie when you use the the airflo compact scandi do you use polys with this aswell and if so what lenght for a rod this size? I have no idea what kind of lines to be looking at tbh.

Seanyboy

Reaction score
Loxie and rainclouds i think a single hander will be somthing i will look at aswell il keep an eye out on ebay for somthing i should have lines already that i can use

Rennie

Reaction score
Seanyboy, I use both tapered leaders and 10ft polytips, total leader length about 15ft. The Scandi Compact I use is 510 grain, 10.3 m long.Go's like a flaming bullet and gives very delicate presentation.
Pedro.

Seanyboy

Reaction score
Seanyboy, I use both tapered leaders and 10ft polytips, total leader length about 15ft. The Scandi Compact I use is 510 grain, 10.3 m long.Go's like a flaming bullet and gives very delicate presentation.
Pedro.
Okay that sounds good its somthing like that il be after my casting wont do it justice mind you but its just another excuse to get me down the river

RUSH

Reaction score
12ft 9 oracle scandi and a line like a rio outbound or afs about 34g would be decent imo

Seanyboy

Reaction score
I hadnt thought about the maxcatch before il have a look at it though and do you know what there reels are like? I got a shakespeare agility 2 10ft 7# as a birthday present last week it comes with a screw in extended handle so can be used like a light switch rod aswell really impressed with it but havent got a reel to use on it so will need to get 1 somtime and dont want to spend too much money on it tbh.

Lewiswearfisher

Reaction score
I hadnt thought about the maxcatch before il have a look at it though and do you know what there reels are like? I got a shakespeare agility 2 10ft 7# as a birthday present last week it comes with a screw in extended handle so can be used like a light switch rod aswell really impressed with it but havent got a reel to use on it so will need to get 1 somtime and dont want to spend too much money on it tbh.
I use that exact rod with a vision vibe85 line 17gram, and a wychwood mk11 sla reel, comes with 3 spools, line flys off that rod either overhead cast or with the switch but for spey casts 👍

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Here’s a cheap reel and line for your 10ft #7
Bargain

keirstream

Reaction score