First off the Southie

scoops

Reaction score
Headed to the Brechin water this morning, only second time I’ve come down, water looked perfect started just below the bridge and fished down to stables then moved car to the water works
Up to the wires and put them on a heavier sink tip, about 20 meters past the wires got a gentle pluck tightened into fish didn’t feel that big but was heading towards me, then took off across river couple back flips some powerful runs then tried to head up towards the stables, good scrap on 12ft rod for about 15 minutes
Netted a deep broad fish about 18lbs, good start to the week 🎣
Swam away really strong, never seen a fish bar that all day
Avochie on Friday hopefully some action there

Attachments

• C46934A1-9DD6-4D69-ABF4-93CDDFE809CA.jpeg
    C46934A1-9DD6-4D69-ABF4-93CDDFE809CA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 317
  • D4836E21-0DC7-45BE-AF58-ACB58E6C0A09.jpeg
    D4836E21-0DC7-45BE-AF58-ACB58E6C0A09.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 319
  • A6787223-35DF-4341-8938-C2DF430C30EC.jpeg
    A6787223-35DF-4341-8938-C2DF430C30EC.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
Well done , and on a single hooked tube with no JC (y) , conehead (hotspot) been bashed about a bit too,

westie4566

Reaction score
Well done on a lovely fish from a lovely pool! (y)

Looks like it's not that coloured either.

Back in the mists of time, the Wires always produced an opening day fish.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
That’s a brilliant start especially as the fish doesn’t look like it’s been in for long, still some silver to it.

midgydug

Reaction score
Good fish for the Soothie. Good luck at Avochie.
I had a week on there which coincided with one of the warmest heatwaves we had had for years. The week started great with Andy Murray winning his first wimbledon . The river was like bathwater even in the middle of the night, but there were fish in every pool. I actually managed to catch one on a hitch in Carpenters before sun up midweek. It made my week as it was on my birthday as well.
Would like to see it with water. Great place to stay, you just walk to the pools from cottage.
Tight lines

SALMON RUSHDIE

Reaction score
Headed to the Brechin water this morning, only second time I’ve come down, water looked perfect started just below the bridge and fished down to stables then moved car to the water works
Up to the wires and put them on a heavier sink tip, about 20 meters past the wires got a gentle pluck tightened into fish didn’t feel that big but was heading towards me, then took off across river couple back flips some powerful runs then tried to head up towards the stables, got scrap on 12ft rod for about 15 minutes
Netted a deep broad fish about 18lbs, good start to the week 🎣
Avochie on Friday hopefully some action there
Well done

scoops

Reaction score
Well done , and on a single hooked tube with no JC (y) , conehead (hotspot) been bashed about a bit too,
Took a few fish with that tube, had to rescue it from a tree later on with my wading staff, last one of them and can’t remember where I bought them from

since changed to single hooks lost far less fish not that I’m hooking many, hope that isn’t kiss of death

Last edited:

scoops

Reaction score
Well done on a lovely fish from a lovely pool! (y)

Looks like it's not that coloured either.

Back in the mists of time, the Wires always produced an opening day fish.
Nice pool to fish was on left bank today and fished right down, whole beat from stables down to Craig looked fishy

a few years ago that would of def been a keeper silver purple hue been in a week or 2 I’d think

Tees88

Reaction score
Cracking fish!

It looks like a Korda wide gape x hook you're using?

Scierra

Reaction score
Took a few fish with that tube, had to rescue it from a tree later on with my wading staff, last one of them and can’t remember where I bought them from

since changed to single hooks lost far less fish not that I’m hooking many, hope that isn’t kiss of death
A single hook will always penetrate much easier than any double or treble , Confidence is key

Scierra

Reaction score
Cheers Yes seen a recommendation by Westie on here a few years ago, use the size 8,10&12s been good hooks for the tubes 👍
Quite small gapes/hooks 8,10, &12.s you use ? more so with your plastic hook holder/extension makes the gape so much smaller ?

I use the 2 large hooks on FC's , the rest on tubes mainly when the leaf nuisance that will shortly be upon us, offset point a must for me

IMG_2150.jpeg

IMG_2151.jpeg

scoops

Reaction score
Quite small gapes/hooks 8,10, &12.s you use ? more so with your plastic hook holder/extension makes the gape so much smaller ?

I use the 2 large hooks on FC's , the rest on tubes mainly when the leaf nuisance that will shortly be upon us, offset point a must for me

View attachment 66533

View attachment 66534
Was a size 10 had on yesterday, I usually take off the rubber tubes if removable, though it is tied in on that fly