First Grayling outing of the Autumn

John Keane

Reaction score
I will be doing a bit of trotting for the ladies on the Dee (Wales) next week.

As it’s above the Horseshoe Falls maggots aren’t allowed, but I think I might try taking some cooked long grain rice to feed sparingly and fish a couple of artificial maggots on the hook.

I will also be taking worms and some blokes I know feed and fish sweetcorn but I’m not that keen on that idea.

Got a nice vintage J W Young Trudex to try out and also an old Abu 506 that I’ve been waiting to try out.

Looking forward to it with boyish anticipation!

Last edited:

tomj

Reaction score
Good luck to you- its a beautiful river. I should fish it much more than I do but its just that bit far away; I used to fish as a kid at Llangollen when there was still a weir there! Never seen so many salmon before or since! Dont know if there were any grayling in the river then-if so I never saw one
I had a great outing for trout in September near Llandderfel- I think a release was coming down the Tryweryn-also caught my first ever grayling on a fly
Get to fish about once a year at Bala for the grayling
I am a complete duffer but managed a 3lb fish on the wiggly fellas
Happy days-
Enjoy yourself

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Good luck to you- its a beautiful river. I should fish it much more than I do but its just that bit far away; I used to fish as a kid at Llangollen when there was still a weir there! Never seen so many salmon before or since! Dont know if there were any grayling in the river then-if so I never saw one
I had a great outing for trout in September near Llandderfel- I think a release was coming down the Tryweryn-also caught my first ever grayling on a fly
Get to fish about once a year at Bala for the grayling
I am a complete duffer but managed a 3lb fish on the wiggly fellas
Happy days-
Enjoy yourself

This post gives me shivers.
I started my fly fishing on these waters with my Dad. I caught a grayling of over 2lb from the Llanderfel beat whilst staying in the Bryntyrion Inn. Is it still there? It was owned or managed in those days by the 'Coops'.. a lovely couple who did not like me, at the age of about eight, standing on stink bombs purchased from the 'Wizards Den' shop in Liverpool!
I also cut my teeth trotting worms down a tributary of the Lune in Kirby Lonsdale.
Luxury!

I must add that I am now 62 and 3/4's so it is a while back.
In Bala there was a White Lion Hotel I think and Pugh's tackle shop.
There was an Italian restaurant/takeaway further down the main street on the left...the same side as the White Lion. The white Lion had a big jar of formaldehyde with Gywned, correct me if I'm wrong. herring like fish that only live in lake Bala.
We (my Dad and I) also used to stay with friends of my father... Betty and Gywnn Davis who lived just outside Bala, Betty used to call me Niggy Bach which I think was a diminutive in the Welsh language which would be the equivalent of Nigeleen in the Irish form?
I would love to go back for memories sake, if not to fish, but walk the Llanderfel beat once again.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve fished the Pale beat in Llandderfel in the distant past. I remember being able to walk right down the middle of the glide in chesties flicking a team of wets to either side and getting grayling and trout in the middle of summer.
This year I’ll be at Rhagatt Hall near Corwen and there are some lovely long pools under the far bank.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here I go again...……….

What's trotting? Trotting a worm or a maggot?

bassfly

Reaction score
Here I go again...……….

What's trotting? Trotting a worm or a maggot?

If you think of the way you present a fly on a float by feeding off the real and holding back to lift the fly then that is what is know as trotting. The set up is a lot lighter using a light float with hooks as small as size 18 for maggots, worms and the like. The preferred reel is a centre pin and a rod of 12ft with a light test curve.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

tomj

Reaction score
This post gives me shivers.
I started my fly fishing on these waters with my Dad. I caught a grayling of over 2lb from the Llanderfel beat whilst staying in the Bryntyrion Inn. Is it still there? It was owned or managed in those days by the 'Coops'.. a lovely couple who did not like me, at the age of about eight, standing on stink bombs purchased from the 'Wizards Den' shop in Liverpool!
I also cut my teeth trotting worms down a tributary of the Lune in Kirby Lonsdale.
Luxury!

I must add that I am now 62 and 3/4's so it is a while back.
In Bala there was a White Lion Hotel I think and Pugh's tackle shop.
There was an Italian restaurant/takeaway further down the main street on the left...the same side as the White Lion. The white Lion had a big jar of formaldehyde with Gywned, correct me if I'm wrong. herring like fish that only live in lake Bala.
We (my Dad and I) also used to stay with friends of my father... Betty and Gywnn Davis who lived just outside Bala, Betty used to call me Niggy Bach which I think was a diminutive in the Welsh language which would be the equivalent of Nigeleen in the Irish form?
I would love to go back for memories sake, if not to fish, but walk the Llanderfel beat once again.

Well Nigel-I am 63 so we may have crossed paths way back then! Bryntirion is still there-not sure if its residential but it can be a bit TOO convenient from the river!
White Lion also still going strong-the fish are Gwyniad and were still there a couple of years ago
The tackle shop is also called Gwyniad and has a good stock
Grand area-good memories

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Soon as I saw the answer it came to me that another name for Center Pin reels is a Trotting reel. Here I swing small Dee wing flies for Graylings.

John Keane

Reaction score
Had a good day out on the Dee, grayling fishing.

Fished with 13ft match rod, Trudex centrepin, 6BB shouldered stick float and small worm.

Had great sport with 8 grayling and 4 trout. Trudex is 4” dia so it was a bit of a pain winding back after a 50yd trot, and batting it back wasn’t much better!

After lunch changed to an Abu 506 which made casting and retrieving much easier but the line tended to bed in a bit after each fish.

Biggest grayling around a pound, trout around 8oz.

Back for another go on Wednesday.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Nice one John
Keep the reports coming in, I might be tempted myself this week on how the salmon fishing is bearing up:eek:hwell:

John Keane

Reaction score
Went again yesterday and did okay, with half a dozen nice grayling. Leaves in the river are starting to be a minor problem.

Found a great run where I could get in up to my backside and do long, straight trots and stay in direct contact with the float. I only have 60 yards of line on my Abu 506 but the limit of my vision (in the light conditions) was around 40 yards. All the fish I had were at longer range. My mate was having a break for a butty further down the bank so he was spotting for me and when I couldn’t see the float he shouted “STRIKE!” when it went under. This tactic brought the two best fish of the day at around 1.5lb each. It did feel rather Mr Crabtree though with me being a very old and doddery “Peter”.

The line on the Abu tends to bed in after a good fish making the next run down the pool a bit jerky with having to constantly feed it by hand. A fishless trot sees full mobility restored but I think the ‘pin is a nicer way to fish if you don’t need to worry about casting distance and don’t mind the long retrieve time.

Elibank

Reaction score
Ah, the ABU 506, takes me back to match fishing days on the Trent and Witham.

John, a question, have you converted the 506 to backwind? I think the 505 was the first ABU reel to spawn a cottage industry of backwind converters, but I can’t just remember if the 506 needed it

John Keane

Reaction score
Ah, the ABU 506, takes me back to match fishing days on the Trent and Witham.

John, a question, have you converted the 506 to backwind? I think the 505 was the first ABU reel to spawn a cottage industry of backwind converters, but I can’t just remember if the 506 needed it

Not done that yet, tbh the drag isnt as bad as you’d expect, unless I got an unusually good one? Plus I’m only grayling fishing with it so don’t really need the drag. Perhaps if I hook an early spawner on the worm then the drag will get a good workout.:lol:

Rennie

Reaction score
While the Abu 501/503/505/506 were undoubtably great reels(especially the Swedish manufactured ones!),the 507 and 508 were better! as they were bigger with better winding power and bigger wider spools.
However they all suffered the same problems of a very narrow deep spool.When they ruled the roost it was a common fix to completely fill the spool with plastic padding, then turn it down and smooth it off so the reels took at max 50yds of 3lb line(don't need any more for match fishing and general run of the mill coarse fishing on rivers),colleagues or acquaintances with access to a laith earnt them selves a pint or two for the process!.
However even after the fix, the reels were still prone to line bedding issues and didn't really have the guts for bigger fish of say over 3lb regular.Many switched to the Mitchell Match with a much bigger spool, huge improvement on winding power and the finger dab bail arm as well as increased line capacity(not allways needed for match fishing!).
Various other closed face reels were available at the time including the Crack,Diawa and Shakespeare.Non had the long term life that the Abu reels had and still have even though they long ago ceased to be Swedish made!.
Pedro.

For my trotting work I long ago settled on a Diawa pair of reels with finger dab bail like the Mitchell, but which could be manually closed on hooking a fish or reeling back, unlike the Mitchell which was a "clattery" process involving some manual dexterity and in cold weather ,often sore fingers!.
P.