First build on a bloke 12’6 blank

Mick_G

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m building my first double hander on one of Micks 12’6” XLeNT blanks

I’m struggling to find some basic information, basically I ordered double leg snake guides but having looked at them I’ve decided I want to use single leg wire guides, is there a rule of thumb for what size guide to use on a 12’6” #8-9 rod?
I’ve been searching google for 2 days and I’m no further forward after looking at various charts etc.

Where would people recommend buying guides from in the uk? I’ve asked mick at bloke rods but he seems very busy and hit and miss with replies.

cheers
Mick

Mick_G

Reaction score
Don’t use single leg guides . Loop to loop connections in your line / polytips will catch like made . Playing fish is brutal
Thanks for the reply, my current rods both have single leg guides? Can’t say I’ve had any problems with my main rod which is a guideline elevation which I’m sure has single leg guides.
That’s not to say if I tried double leg guides they wouldn’t feel better of course, I’m using a Rio afs with loop to loop connections also.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I had a guideline rod with single leg guides. You had to point the rod nearly directly towards the fish for the poly leader connection to pass through. Not good when your playing a 20lber at close range in a heavy channel!

Mick_G

Reaction score
I had a guideline rod with single leg guides. You had to point the rod nearly directly towards the fish for the poly leader connection to pass through. Not good when your playing a 20lber at close range in a heavy channel!
I’ve no experience of 20lbers YET! 😬

I think I’ll stick with the double leg snakes for this build in that case so I can compare them when done.

thanks for the info, I’m planning on building a few more anyway if it turns out ok

cheers
Mick

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Good luck. You wouldn’t like to find out the hard way . They tend to get bent out of shape as well

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m building my first double hander on one of Micks 12’6” XLeNT blanks

I’m struggling to find some basic information, basically I ordered double leg snake guides but having looked at them I’ve decided I want to use single leg wire guides, is there a rule of thumb for what size guide to use on a 12’6” #8-9 rod?
I’ve been searching google for 2 days and I’m no further forward after looking at various charts etc.

Where would people recommend buying guides from in the uk? I’ve asked mick at bloke rods but he seems very busy and hit and miss with replies.

c
Guides n blanks might give you some info

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I think Guides n Blanks are the same outfit as Hopkins and Holloway whose guides are used on premium brands including the American ones iSage etc. I'm not sure if they make Recoil guides if you want to go that route. You could also get Mick to supply recommended guides for the blank which would avoid the hasle of figuring out the sizing. I bought guides for a 10 foot build from him and they are perfect.

I'd definitely go with two foot snake guides if you are having any kind of loop connections going through. You can also get that annoying screech with single leg from the line friction resonating with the blank.

DC

Reaction score
here are a couple of links I used. More speak with Mike Bell.........or TFS on the forum

Rod Building - Sage Fly Fish

1611687830640.png

Mick_G

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful replies, I know the direction I’m heading now and I’ll learn as I go, waiting on a rod Turner from mick bell now so I’ll hopefully have the rod ready for epoxy by the time it arrives 👍

mick

Tonyc

Reaction score
I am also on my first build (13ft #8 double hander) and I have built an epoxy turner with the assistance of "The Fishing Hobby" series on UTube and Ebay, the use of a tommy tippee cup sounded bizarre but it works brilliantly. I run a small microwave 12v motor at 8RPM which seems a good speed aand I am impressed with the results. Followed Micks epoxy mixing video as well.

AlanT

Reaction score
Rod Turner arrived today and I’ve also bought an 11’3” bloke switch blank for later in the season.....I can see this getting expensive 😂
It could, I'm conciously trying to do everything as cheap as possible just to see if I can make a good quality rod at a reasonable price, a bit of a game really. The only thing thats caught me out so far is the price of cork!

Mick_G

Reaction score
Well I’ve coated the whippings last night and today, it’s went well for my first ever attempt, learnt some useful things for the next build.

I was quite disappointed at first as when I put the first coat of epoxy onto the copper thread it went jet black, I had been hoping the copper would be brighter against the dark blank. After getting some advice I decided to go ahead with the top coat and to be honest it looks amazing, it’s jet black in normal light but still has a nice deep copper colour in sunlight.

Can’t wait to get out for a cast with it when the water drops off a considerable amount!

I’ll post some photos tomorrow once the epoxy has cured fully

cheers
Mick

Mick_G

Reaction score
It’s really difficult to get any sort of decent photo but it’s now ready to go and seems to balance nice with my usual reel.

Epoxy seemed to take a little longer than I expected to go off but it seems fine, I’m going to buy a selection of threads now and test some on an old blank to see how they look after epoxy before I build my switch rod 😀

06D46980-7352-4CA3-B2F4-D916D331F10C.jpeg
3F7EA848-BCAB-434D-946E-E1AED4EE89EB.jpeg

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
Epoxy seemed to take a little longer than I expected to go off but it seems fine, I’m going to buy a selection of threads now and test some on an old blank to see how they look after epoxy before I build my switch rod 😀

Mick, simply wetting a whipping with water will give you a good idea of the colour when epoxied. Better still, a drop of IPA as it evaporates so quickly.

I've at least one spare bottle of colour preservative. Drop me a pm if you'd like it sent foc.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Mick, simply wetting a whipping with water will give you a good idea of the colour when epoxied. Better still, a drop of IPA as it evaporates so quickly.

I've at least one spare bottle of colour preservative. Drop me a pm if you'd like it sent foc.
Just don't use colour preserver on guide whippings