First attempts at a snaelda...

Finglas

Reaction score
Ok so not sure if this is a "franc n snaelda" or a "rs snaelda" or a "super snaelda", can't seem to grasp the differences between each. Or, maybe it is none of them haha. I just searched around the forum and found pics of snaeldas people had tied and copied a similar colour scheme. Never even used them before. Fronts what I read it seems like they are good in the spring but do they get used in the summer and autumn too?

Quite pleased with my efforts here. Don't think the feelers are splayed enough and I don't have the wee shrimp eyes in either. Hackles on the front are maybe a little long too if I'm being picky. Plus one of them feels a little flexible when I move the cone so that could be a problem. I've maybe used too much of the inner beyond the metal tube?

20210212_213608.jpg

Attachments

• 20210212_213534.jpg
    20210212_213534.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Bingo! It’s not even a half bad effort - it’s perfect! Good skills👍👍👍

in terms of feelers - I actually quite like to bias them so they are more on top - but quartered is what most folk do. In terms of hackle back and front - I’ve seen them long or short. If you go to the FNS site (Sean stanton) - he has a mix of styles - some where the hackle is the length of the body - so I wouldn’t worry too much - they’ll work. They aren’t just spring flies - I’ve used them high water in summer and in autumn.

Finglas

Reaction score
Bingo! It’s not even a half bad effort - it’s perfect! Good skills👍👍👍

in terms of feelers - I actually quite like to bias them so they are more on top - but quartered is what most folk do. In terms of hackle back and front - I’ve seen them long or short. If you go to the FNS site (Sean stanton) - he has a mix of styles - some where the hackle is the length of the body - so I wouldn’t worry too much - they’ll work. They aren’t just spring flies - I’ve used them high water in summer and in autumn.

Thank you DrPatrick. I appreciate the advice the the kind words of encouragement. Hopefully I can get out and try them soon. I'll check out his site, I just bought some bucktails from him a couple of nights ago and it arrived very promptly, used it in they flies!

Thanks again

Rainclouds

Reaction score
View attachment 57384

Quite pleased with this one. Like the colours and the profile. Enjoying tying on the stanton signature tubes.
I have all the materials to get going on these from FnS and couldn't figure out what colour patern to use for mid to late spring. That is just perfdct for what I had in mind. There are a couple of fishy looking fast deep pool necks that strangely don't produce snd I have been thinking this pattern/fishing style might make the difference.

Finglas

Reaction score
I have all the materials to get going on these from FnS and couldn't figure out what colour patern to use for mid to late spring. That is just perfdct for what I had in mind. There are a couple of fishy looking fast deep pool necks that strangely don't produce snd I have been thinking this pattern/fishing style might make the difference.

They colours are very similar to what was sold as a tailfire years ago by donegal fly company. It was a pbp. I've not got any left but got a junction shrimp version. The front hackle was palmered.

So when that company left the scene I searched around and found Martin Richie (think the company is tay salmon fly) selling "reverse cascades". Although the hackle wasn't palmered it is much the same as the old tailfire. Here Is one I've tied. Always fancied trying the colours as snaelda so fingers crossed for some success!

Attachments

• 20210220_114522.jpg
    20210220_114522.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210220_114431.jpg
    20210220_114431.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
They colours are very similar to what was sold as a tailfire years ago by donegal fly company. It was a pbp. I've not got any left but got a junction shrimp version. The front hackle was palmered.

So when that company left the scene I searched around and found Martin Richie (think the company is tay salmon fly) selling "reverse cascades". Although the hackle wasn't palmered it is much the same as the old tailfire. Here Is one I've tied. Always fancied trying the colours as snaelda so fingers crossed for some success!
Awesome👍

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks collet, I took the above picture on a jazzy painted sideboard. Thought it looked quite good, makes the colours appear a little more.

On the jungle cock front, I do like jungle cock but I've basically ran out of any decent nails now and although I'm tempted to buy more, sourcing it seems to be an issue and the price is steep. I'd like to get away from it so if I get a few fish on this it'll give me some confidence to drop it!

cullet

Reaction score
Just before I seen your flies, l was reading some of the comments members are saying about the prices fly tyers will pay.
I think the day will come when we can't afford to pay the prices they are asking then we will realise salmon will take a fly that has no jungle cock.
Don't think you will be waiting long with one of those beauties on .👍👍

Finglas

Reaction score
Gotta say I’d happily have the lot of them in my box (y)

While you’re tying them, another you might want to consider is one with the tail in thirds of red or orange, yellow and black. This kind of thing (sorry it’s a rubbish photo!)
View attachment 58631

Thanks Iain, they look great. Have you used bought shrimp eyes there? Which ones if so? Or did you make them yourself?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks Iain, they look great. Have you used bought shrimp eyes there? Which ones if so? Or did you make them yourself?
I just made them myself as described above by Nickolas. These are 25lb clear nylon, melted at the end over my gas hob - a lighter or match would achieve the same. Just hold the end of the nylon close to the bottom of the flame (not over the top) and it will start to melt and ball up - don't let it catch fire...I then either use black permanent marker coated with varnish, or black varnish on the eye ball. To get them to tie in with less bulk, and more securely, use a pair of pliers to flatten the end that will be under the thread.

Finglas

Reaction score
I just made them myself as described above by Nickolas. These are 25lb clear nylon, melted at the end over my gas hob - a lighter or match would achieve the same. Just hold the end of the nylon close to the bottom of the flame (not over the top) and it will start to melt and ball up - don't let it catch fire...I then either use black permanent marker coated with varnish, or black varnish on the eye ball. To get them to tie in with less bulk, and more securely, use a pair of pliers to flatten the end that will be under the thread.

Thanks Iain, great advice. I'm going to try that soon in some flies!