First attempt at making shanks

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Aye, and it's only just started, Richard!! Mind, you wouldn't think it with the mentally mild weather.

Walked the dogs in T shirt and hoody tonight - ffs it's mid November. I'm normally in full down jacket mode by now 😁

Aww the weather's off its head. πŸ˜‚ Never seen a year like it. Not even had a frost yet. 13 degrees in the car last night. Crazy.

westie4566

Reaction score
Aww the weather's off its head. πŸ˜‚ Never seen a year like it. Not even had a frost yet. 13 degrees in the car last night. Crazy.
It's saving a fortune on the heating thus far, right up this tight fisted Aberdonian's street :ROFLMAO: Supposed to be mid teens here Thurs/Fri.

It's been great for the autumn shrooms, they just keep coming. My kitchen is like a processing plant atm.

Nae so good for the bloody ticks...took 4 of the spaniel after our walk earlier, all larval so fresh the night.:mad:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It's saving a fortune on the heating thus far, right up this tight fisted Aberdonian's street :ROFLMAO: Supposed to be mid teens here Thurs/Fri.

It's been great for the autumn shrooms, they just keep coming. My kitchen is like a processing plant atm.

Nae so good for the bloody ticks...took 4 of the spaniel after our walk earlier, all larval so fresh the night.:mad:

Thankfully the ticks aren't too bad where I am for some reason. At any time of the year. I think I've only ever took 3 or 4 out of my dogs altogether over the years.

Horrible things them!

westie4566

Reaction score
Thankfully the ticks aren't too bad where I am for some reason. At any time of the year. I think I've only ever took 3 or 4 out of my dogs altogether over the years.

Horrible things them!
My springer likes to work the cover, so is always a magnet for the bloody things. Last summer was mental bad for them, this summer not nearly so bad. The past two weeks have just been crazy, off the scale for them. I've even taken a few off my aged BT who just trundles on behind me.

I have three things that I hate in life. Rats, ticks and wasps, in that order.

A good, hard frost will start to alleviate the problem (y)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
My springer likes to work the cover, so is always a magnet for the bloody things. Last summer was mental bad for them, this summer not nearly so bad. The past two weeks have just been crazy, off the scale for them. I've even taken a few off my aged BT who just trundles on behind me.

I have three things that I hate in life. Rats, ticks and wasps, in that order.

A good, hard frost will start to alleviate the problem (y)

Can't believe the number of wasps I've seen this past week either.

Elibank

Reaction score
I’ll update the image tomorrow with a ruler next to it.
Hope these two images are good enough.

Phil

3C1F26D5-538B-4273-AE90-DC0A8ED22839.jpeg
CB9651C6-3139-4BD6-8067-FB6AB4F3AA6C.jpeg

AlanT

Reaction score
JS,

You might be better ordering the stainless pins as it looks like some of these are profiled and would need filing

Jockiescott

Reaction score
JS,

You might be better ordering the stainless pins as it looks like some of these are profiled and would need filing

I'll see what I can find in the shed. I was thinking that even a 4 inch nail cut into 5mm lengths and pressed into metal of some kind, might do my job?

Most of those dowels come in packs of 50 or 100 which I'd never use and the shed is coming down with nails of all sizes. If the nails don't work, I can order dowels later on. πŸ™‚

Rrrr

Reaction score
A pair of decent jewlers pliers and some stainless welding rods and you should be able to make them in hand without the need for a jig.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Cutting them to different lengths ( depending on the direction that you wrap the wire round should help. I’ve made them in the past and found the easiest way was to pre-bend the angles at the start of the loop then formed the eye itself . Just used 2- 3mm drills in a vice clamped with a gap about 2mm . If you can get hold of some brass wire then you don’t need to use such a heavy gauge which should make the forming easier

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
An old set of small needle nose pliers with the points rounded off with a file is a handy tool. ( I used to make my own shrimp pins in aluminium many moons ago when they were allowed)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Cutting them to different lengths ( depending on the direction that you wrap the wire round should help. I’ve made them in the past and found the easiest way was to pre-bend the angles at the start of the loop then formed the eye itself . Just used 2- 3mm drills in a vice clamped with a gap about 2mm . If you can get hold of some brass wire then you don’t need to use such a heavy gauge which should make the forming easier

I know what you mean about pre bending the angles. Doing this made a nice round loop for the hooks of my flying c's. πŸ‘

Jockiescott

Reaction score
First attempt didn't work too well.

The holes I drilled were slightly far apart so was making the loops far too big. I then drilled another hole but this time they were too close together and I couldn't even get the wire between them! πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

The temper started to get up so I set everything to one side till a later date. πŸ˜‚

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A flying C wire forming tool costs about a fiver on Amazon would do the job as well.

I have one and it works perfectly with flying c gauge wire.

The wire I'm trying here is too thick and won't fit between the pins.