First attempt at making shanks

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I ordered some heavy guage wire off eBay to try to make my own shanks.

A nail and a few squeezes in a vice later and this was the result...

IMG_20211115_123518_edit_84661999823018.jpg

I will have to shape the hook loop slightly better in the future but I'm quite pleased with this as a first attempt. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Not bad, if you can find a small block of metal make a wee jig to make it easier / quicker

I tried with a few nails in a block of wood to start with. I had something similar made from the days when I made flying c's for making the loop the hooks went onto.

This heavy wire would be too heavy but I'll get lighter wire eventually for smaller shanks and everything should be much easier worked with.

gwelsher

Reaction score
Tidy. As you say you need a longer leg on the hook loop. If you do some slight mods on the flying C rig it will work for these.

Elibank

Reaction score
Not bad, if you can find a small block of metal make a wee jig to make it easier / quicker
A good friend of mine, a retired engineer, made this after listening to my constant complaints about Waddingtons and how they could be improved - Iโ€™ve not yet had a chance to use it, but tests with thick mono seem to be positive.

F31C08A1-7474-481C-BAE4-93F0120ACB59.jpeg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Tidy. As you say you need a longer leg on the hook loop. If you do some slight mods on the flying C rig it will work for these.

I don't really want the hook leg too long but definitely needs a little kink in it to straighten it a bit. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A good friend of mine, a retired engineer, made this after listening to my constant complaints about Waddingtons and how they could be improved - Iโ€™ve not yet had a chance to use it, but tests with thick mono seem to be positive.

View attachment 68538

That looks the business there Elibank!!! ๐Ÿ‘

That's what I was trying with the nails and bit of wood. Two beside each other and another single one above. The wire is a touch heavy and the wood a bit soft and the nails were being pushed out of place.

That'll give me something to think about now.

Excellent! Thanks so much for showing that. ๐Ÿ˜€

AlanT

Reaction score

View attachment 68538
That looks great. You'll need to try it out and show us the improved version ๐Ÿ‘

AlanT

Reaction score
That looks the business there Elibank!!! ๐Ÿ‘

That's what I was trying with the nails and bit of wood. Two beside each other and another single one above. The wire is a touch heavy and the wood a bit soft and the nails were being pushed out of place.

That'll give me something to think about now.

Excellent! Thanks so much for showing that. ๐Ÿ˜€
A pillar drill and some cheap hardened steel dowels off ebay would make a good version of that. Might try and rustle myself something up over winter

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A pillar drill and some cheap hardened steel dowels off ebay would make a good version of that. Might try and rustle myself something up over winter

I have a pillar drill and I'm heading straight to ebay now to look for those dowels! ๐Ÿ˜

Great idea AlanT! ๐Ÿ‘

AlanT

Reaction score
I have a pillar drill and I'm heading straight to ebay now to look for those dowels! ๐Ÿ˜

Great idea AlanT! ๐Ÿ‘
You prob know this but if you drill the holes a tiny bit smaller than the dowels and press them in. Eg if you drill a 3mm hole, a 1/8" dowel will be perfect to press in as 1/8" is 3.125mm.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You prob know this but if you drill the holes a tiny bit smaller than the dowels and press them in. Eg if you drill a 3mm hole, a 1/8" dowel will be perfect to press in as 1/8" is 3.125mm.

I'll be flying completely blind so I'll take all the advice I can get. ๐Ÿ˜Š

AlanT

Reaction score
Also double drill the holes. So drill 2mm all the way through, then drill the 3mm hole to the depth you want. That way the hole diameter will be very accurate (if you drill it with the 3mm only, it will likely be oversize) and the through hole will stop air being compressed behind the dowels (not good).

Elibank

Reaction score
That looks great. You'll need to try it out and show us the improved version ๐Ÿ‘
Errr, yes, when Iโ€™ve finished the other projects, Alan.

By the way, over the last couple of seasons, Iโ€™ve played with flattening the angle of the eye slightly - in fact our Tweed week crew are asking if Iโ€™m actually fishing when Iโ€™ve been watching the results!

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'm happy buying shanks but something wants me to make one of these. . . .
I don't need any more projects but. . .

You can never have too many projects! ๐Ÿ˜‚

I think I'll take a look in the shed tomorrow. I'm sure there's some smooth lengths of fine steel rod in there somewhere that I could cut a few lengths off. That'll be a wee project for me anyway! ๐Ÿ‘

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I want to try a few things with shanks too. I have an idea in my head of making very short shanks with heavy wire to fish under the surface.

They should sink better than a plastic tube but not as deep as a weighted tube.

I'm not sure if it will work but it's things like that, that I can't buy, that I really want to try out.

Elibank

Reaction score
I want to try a few things with shanks too. I have an idea in my head of making very short shanks with heavy wire to fish under the surface.

They should sink better than a plastic tube but not as deep as a weighted tube.

I'm not sure if it will work but it's things like that, that I can't buy, that I really want to try out.
Iโ€™ve tried tying in two lengths of lead wire sitting in the gap top and bottom, seems to get down a bit more.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Iโ€™ve tried tying in two lengths of lead wire sitting in the gap top and bottom, seems to get down a bit more.

And no chance of the wire being able to shift with it being in the groove between the two wires. That would work! ๐Ÿ‘