Fin & Game - caution required

Yorkfisher

Reaction score
Having recently bought some new top end apparel from Fin and Game, I had some issues with the product which I returned to them for a replacement.

I spoke to the shop who promised me a replacement by return. Two weeks of chasing them and some more unfulfilled promises and I am still waiting! The shop claimed that Covid-19 resulted in them being short staffed, but they weren't too short staffed to take my money!

I hope others who buy anything from this shop have a better experience, or alternatively look elsewhere!

westie4566

Reaction score
Whilst unfortunate, maybe do cut them some extra 'slack' at the moment?

I know from my own business what re-hashing things to achieve social distance has done. Lead times that used to be 7-10 days are now 3-4 weeks.

Obviously, keep on top of the subject, however accept that businesses are pretty much having to suck it and see at the moment.

Fin and Game normally have an excellent reputation for customer service.

TBH - under current circumstances, I'd be the last person to slate a business that's trying to re-open and observe the rules.

For example, I gave a customer of mine an expected lead time that has now run over by 10 days, although the new date is set in stone.

They could have gone online and slated me - but they understand that these times are unprecedented and are in no way in a huff. Perfectly happy and understanding of the situation.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have t9 Agee

I know from my own business what re-hashing things to achieve social distance has done. Lead times that used to be 7-10 days are now 3-4 weeks.

Obviously, keep on top of the subject, however accept that businesses are pretty much having to suck it and see at the moment.

TBH - under current circumstances, I'd be the last person to slate a business that's trying to re-open and observe the rules.

For example, I gave a customer of mine an expected lead time that has now run over by 10 days, although the new date is set in stone.

They could have gone online and slated me - but they understand that these times are unprecedented and are in no way in a huff. Perfectly happy and understanding of the situation.
i have to agree. Normally they are excellent and times are hard so we should support good businesses like this

westie4566

Reaction score
I have t9 Agee

i have to agree. Normally they are excellent and times are hard so we should support good businesses like this
These sort of posts, especially from a member so new to the SFF, always boil my blood.

It could be just the very post above that appears on online searches that puts folk not in the know off and send another excellent wee business to the wall.

The internet is a double edged sword when it comes to business. It cost me the thick end of a grand just pre lockdown to shut up a customer who had no real complaint other than he didn't like how the product he chose worked for him.

I was under no legal obligation whatsoever, yet had to realise that the damage caused would be greater than me coughing up. Damn the internet!

Yorkfisher

Reaction score
I have t9 Agee

Supporting a smaller local retailer is exactly what I did, but when promises are made and not kept it begins to wear thin.. They were quick enough to to take the cash so not unreasonable to expect the aftersales service. I have never had issues with Norris's, GAS or Fawcetts...

Neil W

Reaction score
Supporting a smaller local retailer is exactly what I did, but when promises are made and not kept it begins to wear thin.. They were quick enough to to take the cash so not unreasonable to expect the aftersales service. I have never had issues with Norris's, GAS or Fawcetts...
Maybe so but be cautious in going so public so quickly. They are a good company and I will absolutely buy from them again. Read the post from Westie

Yorkfisher

Reaction score
Maybe so but be cautious in going so public so quickly. They are a good company and I will absolutely buy from them again. Read the post from Westie
I have merely shared my experience. Take from it what you will.

Last edited:

Yorkfisher

Reaction score

I agree Westie..but the business didn't close, it continued to trade online and the order was placed 6 weeks ago.

Communication is the key and had that happened I wouldn't be complaining. My experience was of poor /zero communication and broken promises that has left a sour taste. Had they explained their situation and provided a factual, realistic timescale (albeit an extended one) then I would not have had an issue, but that didn't and still hasn't happened.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
I agree Westie..but the business didn't close, it continued to trade online and the order was placed 6 weeks ago.

Communication is the key and had that happened I wouldn't be complaining. My experience was of poor /zero communication and broken promises that has left a sour taste. Had they explained their situation and provided a factual, realistic timescale (albeit an extended one) then I would not have had an issue, but that didn't and still hasn't happened.
Please re-read my original reply. Many businesses didn't 'close' but were effectively shut down by their suppliers. (I never closed for business...but my factories couldn't supply so I had to take advance orders albeit these were only a few)

Again from personal experience and just in getting started up again, every business is in uncharted waters.

Communication is key...I agree. However when probably the bulk of your staff are furloughed, then you can't expect answers overnight, indeed in weeks. Then there's supply chain issues.

So, in your case I assume you're waiting for a replacement? As businesses re-open they're all trying to work out what demand will be and therefore what sort of stock to carry. Too much after current times will see you bust and too little will lead to complaints. It's a fine line that NO business has ever had to walk along before. As above, the supply chain is tricky too as they are trying to work out demand

How many other posts do you need to read telling you how good Fin and Game are and not to worry.

I'm just happy that Covid 19 has had NO impact on you, your family or your working life that the impact everywhere else has totally evaded you.

Yorkfisher

Reaction score
Please re-read my original reply. Many businesses didn't 'close' but were effectively shut down by their suppliers. (I never closed for business...but my factories couldn't supply so I had to take advance orders albeit these were only a few)

Again from personal experience and just in getting started up again, every business is in uncharted waters.

Communication is key...I agree. However when probably the bulk of your staff are furloughed, then you can't expect answers overnight, indeed in weeks. Then there's supply chain issues.

So, in your case I assume you're waiting for a replacement? As businesses re-open they're all trying to work out what demand will be and therefore what sort of stock to carry. Too much after current times will see you bust and too little will lead to complaints. It's a fine line that NO business has ever had to walk along before. As above, the supply chain is tricky too as they are trying to work out demand

How many other posts do you need to read telling you how good Fin and Game are and not to worry.

I'm just happy that Covid 19 has had NO impact on you, your family or your working life that the impact everywhere else has totally evaded you.
Thanks Andy, apologies. Given that you described the business as "reopening " it implied that they must have therefore been closed...my mistake.

Covid-19 has effected all of us in many different ways and how it has impacted on my family is no concern of yours!

It's interesting that you have previously been happy to critise poor service in this forum... Indeed on one of my posts, but now you've turned over a new leaf and its acceptable not to communicate with customers and over promise and under deliver...given that you appear to condone this situation perhaps you could share the details of your business so I can avoid trading with that one too.. 😉

Last edited:

simoncassidy

Reaction score
I have bought lots of gear from Fin and Game over the years,both directly from the shop when over on the Tweed and online. I have given them repeat business because of the excellent customer service I have recieved from having Simms waders that leaked replaced before I even got to send the leaking ones in the post to breaking a rod on the Tweed and be told to call in to the shop and get the replacement section there and then from a rod on sale in the shop.I think we are in extraordinary times due to Covid19 and every business is suffering because of it.The last thing small businessses need is to be ridiculed because of customer service in these times. Everything is being affected a little slack may be needed and Im sure Fin and Game will resolve your issues.

cgaines10

Reaction score
It seems a bit premature to be slating them in these weird times. If they've promised you a return i'm sure you'll get it. Will waiting a little longer really kill you?

I have bought plenty of items during this period, from many different outlets and nearly all of them have been severely delayed, along with numerous lost in the post. However, I understand the state of the world right now, so if i have to wait a little longer, I shall, have some patience & trust. Then if it doesn't come through, fine, say your bit.

I hope you get sorted & I hope Fin & Games reputation isn't tarnished.

Last edited:

flytay

Reaction score
I would like to echo other members comments. I regularly use Fin and Game and found them to be an excellent shop with good customer service. I have never had a problem with them and in an emergency they have delivered items to local beats on the Tweed to save an otherwise wasted day.

I'm sure that the problem was caused by the lockdown restrictions. I ordered an item from Orvis online which was shown as being in stock but took 4 weeks to arrive. When I chased it, I was told that it was coming from America. A little frustrating but I accepted that these were unusual times.

ballintemple

Reaction score
I have often used them & always found their service excellent. It's a tough time for small businesses at present, including good ones like F&G.

westie4566

Reaction score
Thanks Andy, apologies. Given that you described the business as "reopening " it implied that they must have therefore been closed...my mistake.

Covid-19 has effected all of us in many different ways and how it has impacted on my family is no concern of yours!

It's interesting that you have previously been happy to critise poor service in this forum... Indeed on one of my posts, but now you've turned over a new leaf and its acceptable not to communicate with customers and over promise and under deliver...given that you appear to condone this situation perhaps you could share the details of your business so I can avoid trading with that one too.. 😉
Don't worry, I don't supply stuff down you neck of the woods so you're perfectly safe 😜

Indeed, in normal times I am happy to criticise genuinely poor service, however these times are, and have been, anything but normal.

I guess having seen both sides of the dilemma both as customer and a supplier, I've realised just how messed up the supply chain has been. So as a customer I've cut some businesses slack and have been grateful for that slack being given to me.

Hopefully everyone will get back to some semblance of normality soon.

Wee Double

Reaction score
Great to see the angling community spirit shining through. Just ordered a new rod, new reel and other bits from three well known outlets and the service couldn't have been better. The reel has arrived, and the rod is being posted today, and also other bits on their way.

The post has had it's problems too.

I had my kitchen fitted recently and I unfortunately took a huge chunk out the new sink when cleaning a bass with a very sharp knife. To say the wife was pissed is an understatement :mad:. Anyway, i promised to replace it and ordered a new one about a month ago, it still hasn't arrived. I'm not cross, but will probably chase it up in the next couple of days.

Obviously sinks aren't as important than fishing gear.

Hope you get your bits soon.

Cheers
WD

Niccancatch

Reaction score

Absolutely bang on the nose there Andy. Wether your Richard Branson (****er) or jo blogs, things at the moment in this climate are the same! Get real people!!!!

keirstream

Reaction score
I've bought a number of items from Fish and Game and the service was exemplary.
I had an issue with a Frodin fly wallet which had a stud missing on receipt which didn't interfere with the fly storage at all.
I contacted Tom and he sent me a replacement immediately and told me to keep the original.
Canny say better than that!!!!!:D:D
FrodiFlyWallet.jpg

Lurig

Reaction score
I've bought a number of items from Fish and Game and the service was exemplary.
I had an issue with a Frodin fly wallet which had a stud missing on receipt which didn't interfere with the fly storage at all.
I contacted Tom and he sent me a replacement immediately and told me to keep the original.
Canny say better than that!!!!!:D:D
View attachment 46652
That’s what you call good customer service & how to build customer loyalty. I have also bought & few things from Fin & Game & found them to be very helpful.

westie4566

Reaction score

Actually, I missed your intentional misreading of my post earlier (and please do not presume to call me by my Christian name after sub 30 posts on here and without ever personally introducing yourself either on general forum or by pm. It makes you come across as some creepy stalker who's obviously gone thread trolling)

My comment re reopening of business was not referring to Fin and Game but to their supply chain who will have been closed over lockdown. Funny how every other respondent on this thread thinks the same!

I'm not, nor ever have been a c'nut and genuinely hope you get your issue sorted soon. I just expect fair play in all aspects of life. If i see unfairness...then I'm at it like a rat up a drainpipe.😅

Walleye

Reaction score
Obviously sinks aren't as important than fishing gear.
Glad you added some much needed perspective there :D

I've also waited longer than normal for most stuff, not just for fishing gear. It's cool.

I've also seen some wierd stuff in lockdown, like a customer wanting to fight a member of staff at Screwfix just because he politely asked the guy to move his car from a clearly marked no parking spot within 2m of customers leaving the shop.

I guess some people just have a sense of entitlement and can't handle having to do things out of the ordinary, or having their life impacted in any kind of way during what are unique times in everyone's lives.

Anyway, I hope your sink turns up in the close season ;)