Few Bass Flies...

John Keane

Reaction score
Not fished the fly for bass for a good few years but these are the flies I used to do it with. Heavy on the white, pearl, blue and silver and a definite preference for the surface poppers in the right conditions.

Attachments

• 77631869-B62F-4E03-8FB4-9F1BFBA1760D.jpeg
    77631869-B62F-4E03-8FB4-9F1BFBA1760D.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 338
  • 3DE27764-F5CC-4021-9D7F-484FCD1B5217.jpeg
    3DE27764-F5CC-4021-9D7F-484FCD1B5217.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 350

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
No black? Black would be a staple of mine especially gurglers and surface flies, mind you much of my bassing would be late at night..

John Keane

Reaction score
No black? Black would be a staple of mine especially gurglers and surface flies, mind you much of my bassing would be late at night..

There’s bits of black with the grizzle hackles but I always used to stick by colours that could be seen in mackerel, sprats and sandeels and they used to catch fine after dark!

Last edited:

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
There’s bits of black with the grizzle hackles but I always used to stick by colours that could be seen in mackerel, sprats and sandeels and they used to catch fine after dark!

Nice selection though, have you had much success with the shrimp, have not got the hang of them as yet, how do you fish them ?

Isisalar

Reaction score
Used to fish the Woodmill pool on the Itchen for Sea Trout at night. Would get the odd Bass on the Sea Trout flies but by far the most successful fly for Bass was a Bibio fished on a dropper, size 10/12, some would use one specifically to target the Bass.
I know, it makes no sense but it's so.
Used to get LOADS on live roach but they've gone all anti actually catching/ taking fish down there now .

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Nice selection though, have you had much success with the shrimp, have not got the hang of them as yet, how do you fish them ?

I’m no longer salt water fly fishing but I used to fish them over sandy bottoms and twitch them a bit like bonefish flies. Only ever had one bass on them and that was at night when there were fish crashing all around me.

My greatest successes were always fishing a popper, like Hot Lips, in an offshore breeze, with clear water and a fast tidal run.

John Keane

Reaction score
This is a 4.5lb bass caught on a surface popper longer ago than I care to remember!

Shakespeare boot-foot neoprene waders - ugh! :doh:

Attachments

• 537BE705-ADC2-4769-BD06-B74648AE1A18.jpeg
    537BE705-ADC2-4769-BD06-B74648AE1A18.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 279

LouisCha

Reaction score

I had bass on a shrimp fly a few times last year, a small #10 pattegrisen. When nothing else seemed to get a reaction, fishing that shrimp very slowly close to bridge pilings and over bladderwrack beds pretty reliably caught small schoolies; mostly at slack tide.

What worked was a strip - pause - strip retrieve on a clear slow inter and long leader, with short sharp strips and long pauses, 5 - 30 seconds to let the fly flutter down like the real thing

Good fun and saved a blank on a couple of occasions :thumb:

I expect there are some situations where you could sight cast to bass on sand flats with shrimp flies, bonefish style, but I've never experienced that :noidea:

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I had bass on a shrimp fly a few times last year, a small #10 pattegrisen. When nothing else seemed to get a reaction, fishing that shrimp very slowly close to bridge pilings and over bladderwrack beds pretty reliably caught small schoolies; mostly at slack tide.

What worked was a strip - pause - strip retrieve on a clear slow inter and long leader, with short sharp strips and long pauses, 5 - 30 seconds to let the fly flutter down like the real thing

Good fun and saved a blank on a couple of occasions :thumb:

I expect there are some situations where you could sight cast to bass on sand flats with shrimp flies, bonefish style, but I've never experienced that :noidea:

I’ve never sight cast to bass on sand flats either but I used to prospect for them by doing that. Not a very successful technique as the only one I had by doing it was at night.

I was once wading a sandy beach in the daylight casting for bass with a Deceiver pattern and there was a bloke fly fishing off the end of a groyne and catching schoolies on a normal, white Baby Doll.

Lefty Kreh, eat your heart out!

Last edited: