Fergal Sharkey on Channel 4 news

alan

Reaction score
Hi
Just watched Fergal Sharkey rip into the river authorities in England about the amount of sewage they allow into our rivers. What a breath of fresh air he was, no holds, gave it to them good style.
He was well dressed, shirt and tie and had all his facts to hand. This ex- pop star could be the answer to the tossers that fob us off at every corner.
Asked why he was concerned about the situation, straight reply."Because I'm a fly fisherman"
Regards
Alan

offshore

Reaction score
Apolgies Alan, didn't see your post; I put a link up to the same news item. You are right, Fergal Sharkey was very good.

Gustav

Reaction score
Just watched the channel four excerpt on the link provided by Offshore
900,000 hours of human sewage and rainwater flow into UK rivers in just one year – revealed – Channel 4 News
It is worth the 12 or so minutes especially for the latter part when yer man is interviewed.
It is the kind of subject matter the NGOs who seek to represent us should be lobbying about at parliament, it is the kind of source material and subject matter we should be actively monitoring analysing and reading about every month not just in our sorry ad-mag T& S but in the mainstream national and local press.
The facts are we are collectively and using our rivers up and down the country as part time open sewers, but don't worry the EA told us its perfectly legal.
Well it shouldn't be.
I remember a programme about storm sewage affecting surfers in Cornwall and that is a parallel situation to the same problem of a system that just cannot cope without change.

When you add in legal abstractions we are also in particular endangering the amazing chalk streams (of which there are only 225 in the world) but the EA seems to be happy with maintaining what is a very disturbing status quo and in the programme over-claims massively about their future plans.

In the last few years the river systems which seem to be holding up the best seem to be those whose headwaters in particular are least influenced by the effects on humans and our waste.
Just think what is leeching into our rivers from normal sewage plants and from high rainfall raw sewage releases.
Not just organic material but the residues of hormones, recreational drugs etc etc.

This is a big story or at least should be a big story.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
It still amazes me, that we still carry on looking , and blaming, when simple basic, gets bypassed.
The water.
You can spends millions on habitat, hatchery, net buy out, etc. But if the water not right, it all big waste.
We need to monitor all rivers, and action be taken, when toxins are over present.
End the day, would you swim in the water ?

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I do not dare think about just what has been dumped in my local ,The Thames. over these last couple of months, but the one saviour is the shear volume of water flowing. I cannot recall seeing the river with such a sustained flow rate, ever. The Chalkstreams are running at very high flow rates too, not the sluggish, low water scenarios of the last few, dry years, the aquifers are brim full, for the first time in years, the Avon is over its banks, but gin clear. unfortunately it does give the Authorities the opportunity to dump more **** than they could usually get away with!!!!

NEbody

Reaction score
You get what you pay for

Most of us are water company customers. Water companies are heavily regulated, principally by OFWAT and in specific fields by the EA and the Drinking Water Inspectorate. OFWAT determines how much money the companies need to raise to operate efficiently and the costs of doing that, which we ultimately see in our water bills. What gets included in OFWAT’s calculations is influenced by ministerial advice. Ministers tend not to favour the substantial increase in water bills that rapid implementation of major sewerage improvement would require. It’s happening, partly in response to pressure from people like Fergal, but at a rate that should keep water bills at a level that’s judged to be acceptable. Meanwhile, the water companies are under pressure from their owners to give them a return on capital and the EA is under rather more direct government control than it was when it was set up. If you want higher standards from the water industry, you need to persuade politicians that the great British public is happy to pay for them.

scotsmac1

Reaction score
When were in a moment of Climate pollution being the In topic, for something so necessary being bypassed, and more less a smudge being thrown over , all down to certain folk having less profit.
Then additionally we got the repeated emptying of intencive farm slurry being dumped, into the nearest river , and rarely a punishment.
Surely one start on the farm slurry issue, would be to subsidy good farming practices.
Were slowly poising the base of life., and wild fish like salmon decline is one the first warnings.

alan

Reaction score
Cookie-boy
As a Scouser I haven't a firkin clue what your on about. If you have seen it then even a Del Boy would understand what he's on about.
Regards
Alan

lowforcefly

Reaction score
When were in a moment of Climate pollution being the In topic, for something so necessary being bypassed, and more less a smudge being thrown over , all down to certain folk having less profit.
Then additionally we got the repeated emptying of intencive farm slurry being dumped, into the nearest river , and rarely a punishment.
Surely one start on the farm slurry issue, would be to subsidy good farming practices.
Were slowly poising the base of life., and wild fish like salmon decline is one the first warnings.
How about any future subsidy being subject to independent audit , and verification, on good farming practise ?
We would have to enforce it differently than we do other regulations?
As they are joke @ the mo. IMHO!

Just a thought ?

Mel...