Felt Pen mark

budge

Reaction score
Does anyone know what will remove a felt pen mark from a fly line?
Not sure I would risk anything solvent based on a flyline. Why do you need to remove it ? Some of mine aren't marked in exactly the right place but it doesn't take long to adjust how much you strip in.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Non anti persperant deoderant removes it.
Edit.. not tried it on fly line but removes it from everything else.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
Cover it with a coloured pen(permanent sharpie) obviously Dougie, red or close as you can get to the line colour. I wouldn't try to remove for fear of damaging the line.

rodbender

Reaction score
Not sure I would risk anything solvent based on a flyline. Why do you need to remove it ? Some of mine aren't marked in exactly the right place but it doesn't take long to adjust how much you strip in.

It has bled onto other parts of an expensive Speyline, the line has a colour change so don't know why it was required?

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Non anti persperant deoderant removes it.
Edit.. not tried it on fly line but removes it from everything else.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's called the lynx effect it also helps in luring female salmon to your fly 😜.

Last edited:

charlieH

Reaction score
I agree with this. I wouldn't trust anything that might remove spirit-based felt pen not to affect the line's coating.

Back in the days before dual colour fly lines became the norm, I used to mark the loading point with a permanent marker. But it always needed to be redone periodically, so if you just fish with the line you'll probably find that it fades over time.

In any case, I doubt the fish will mind!

Last edited:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
WD40 should work, methylated spirit as already mentioned, but avoid anything containing acetone.

budge

Reaction score
I put markers on all my lines, even though most are dual colour nowadays. I am colour blind which can make things difficult, plus fishing with sun in your eyes can be hard to see the loading point. I usually put a marker at the head and another at the reel end.