Favourite outfits

Neil W

Reaction score
Inspired by the salmon reel post it’s definitely nice to not thing about the unmentionable virus thing.
It would be good to know what outfits you like to fish with for large, medium and small rivers. Mine are

Large river- Sage one 1015, Hardy perfect 4.25, Rio Scandi outbound 10/11

Medium river- Sage igniter 8136, Hardy perfect 4.25, Rio Scandi VT 9wt

Small river- Sage TCX 8119, Nautilus Spey, Rio Scandi outbound 7/8

Of course I have other rods I use ad like such as the Sage x 9140 with a 9/10 Scandi and the Lamson ARX4+, I could go on but these are my current favourites

Andy Musgrove

Reaction score
Loop Cross S1 12ft 7# with Evotec G4 HD 8/10 or Hardy Cascapedia 8/9 does me just fine with various shooting heads skagits and scandi’s. I also like the Wulff Ambush TT line on this rod. Cheers

mc andy

Reaction score
Tay rod is a 14ft7 zenith, Hardy Zane, rio svt 10#

Mid /small river is a 12ft 8# loop evotec med action. Orvis hydros reel. Rio svt 8#

Pictures are better than words:)

DSC_0306.JPG

DSC_2768.JPG

firefly

Reaction score
P6110078.JPG

Travelling by plane: Loop S1 13'2" (#8)/Classic 7-9 and Loop 13'6" (#9)/Classic 8-11
Other: Loomis NRX Green 13' (#8/9)/Classic 7-9 and Loomis NRX Green 14' (#9/10)/Classic 8-11
Big (!) rivers and long belly Spey lines: Loomis GLX 15'1" Stinger (#10/11) and 15' Greased line (#10/11)/Classic 11-13

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Just for something to keep me amused, I'll indulge in Neill's salute to the Sage in his opening post. But----------those that know me may be surprised in what I write.:)

Large river; Gaelforce Destination 14ft 6in, Danielsson Control 8-13 and Gaelforce Multi Tip 10/11 (O.K. I'll start off as expected!) The line I vary with various levels of water, using the floating head in low and medium levels with whatever 15ft tip as required.
In higher levels though, I'll move to the Sink 2 head and very the 15ft tip again according to flow and depth needed to achieve. I will then add a 10ft tip if I feel it is required to achieve a triple density approach. I always use plastic tubes (except Snaeldas and Frances) as I prefer the depth to be achieved by the line.

Medium River;Low to medium, I'll use the Zenith 13ft 6in, Danielsson L5W 8-12 and Gaelforce integrated lines. Floating for low and Hover when the river is carrying some extra fresh. Matched with various 6ft to 10ft Polys, that covers all aspects really.
In high water, I move to the 14ft Gaelforce Equalizer, Gaelforce Multi Tip, all as large river above.

Small River; Low, 10ft Vision Vipu 7wt (trout rated), Vision Trout reel, 40+ Extreme, any depth achieved by choice of tippet material (or, in a break from routine, a wee bottle tube)
Medium, again carrying a good fresh, an 8wt (salmon rated) 10ft Bloke built for me by Mick several years ago. I didn't like it at first, but now I understand how it works, it is superb teamed with a wee Classic copy reel (I thought I was bidding for a Loop and got conned:redface:)I won on a Dee auction and a Barrio Switch line with again, various poly tips.
In high water, out comes the Loop Cross 12ft 8wt, teamed with the Danielsson Control 7-12 and the Gaelforce 30g Switch line and poly tips. I also use it with the Gaelforce Hover that digs in a bit in faster flows.
Dead simple this salmon game, ehh????:lol:
Below are some photos of 6 salmon I landed in a July morning last year with the river carrying an extra 2ft of water using the small river/high water set up. The ghillie posing with the one fish he landed for me.:lol:

Fish1.jpg

Fish2.jpg

Fish3.jpg

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
I must confess I do like sage rods for some reason they just suit me. I have tried most other makes and the only one I liked and regretted selling was the Loop Cross S1 7wt 6pc. I may end getting another one

Loxie

Reaction score
Just for something to keep me amused, I'll indulge in Neill's salute to the Sage in his opening post. But----------those that know me may be surprised in what I write.:)

Large river; Gaelforce Destination 14ft 6in, Danielsson Control 8-13 and Gaelforce Multi Tip 10/11 (O.K. I'll start off as expected!) The line I vary with various levels of water, using the floating head in low and medium levels with whatever 15ft tip as required.
In higher levels though, I'll move to the Sink 2 head and very the 15ft tip again according to flow and depth needed to achieve. I will then add a 10ft tip if I feel it is required to achieve a triple density approach. I always use plastic tubes (except Snaeldas and Frances) as I prefer the depth to be achieved by the line.

Medium River;Low to medium, I'll use the Zenith 13ft 6in, Danielsson L5W 8-12 and Gaelforce integrated lines. Floating for low and Hover when the river is carrying some extra fresh. Matched with various 6ft to 10ft Polys, that covers all aspects really.
In high water, I move to the 14ft Gaelforce Equalizer, Gaelforce Multi Tip, all as large river above.

Small River; Low, 10ft Vision Vipu 7wt (trout rated), Vision Trout reel, 40+ Extreme, any depth achieved by choice of tippet material (or, in a break from routine, a wee bottle tube)
Medium, again carrying a good fresh, an 8wt (salmon rated) 10ft Bloke built for me by Mick several years ago. I didn't like it at first, but now I understand how it works, it is superb teamed with a wee Classic copy reel (I thought I was bidding for a Loop and got conned:redface:)I won on a Dee auction and a Barrio Switch line with again, various poly tips.
In high water, out comes the Loop Cross 12ft 8wt, teamed with the Danielsson Control 7-12 and the Gaelforce 30g Switch line and poly tips. I also use it with the Gaelforce Hover that digs in a bit in faster flows.
Dead simple this salmon game, ehh????:lol:
Below are some photos of 6 salmon I landed in a July morning last year with the river carrying an extra 2ft of water using the small river/high water set up. The ghillie posing with the one fish he landed for me.:lol:

View attachment 43331

View attachment 43332

View attachment 43333
How did you get Ian to land a fish for you?

Loxie

Reaction score
Big river 13' NRX, Lamson and AFS. small rivers: 10' 7wt Omri Thomas deluxe, Danielson, ridge clear slow inter, 11' 8wt IMX danielson, ridge clear fast inter, 10' 6wt Omri, danielson, DT 6 Sylk, 11' 3 6wt airtec, lamson 40+ 7wt floater. Norway, Russia Tay type rivers 15' Z axis, Lamson, AFS.

Balticer

Reaction score
Traveling and general salmon fishing: 13'6'' #9 Loop Cross s1 6pcs + Danielson 9thirteen + Rio Skagit Max 600grain or Loop GDC #9 floating
Seatrout fishing and salmon on smaller rivers: 13'3'' #7/8 Winston BIIX 4pcs + Cortland XC reel + Rio skagit max 500grain or Loop opti adapted line #8.
Seatrout fishing on small rivers and salmon fishing using sunray shadow: 11' #7 Loop cross s1 5pcs + Hardy Zane + Airflo skagit switch 480grain + single hand fly lines.

Still considering about 12-12'6'' #7 in 5-6 pcs.

Neil W

Reaction score
Here’s the sage one 15ft and the Hardy perfect on the Dee in March a few years ago. Unfortunately no fish to show a picture with the rod
IMG_0673.jpg
Not the best picture ever but don’t have many on the iPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Rod wise im a bit of a guideline fan and all my salmon rods are guideline. That may change next year after having a run down a pool with a friends hardy marksman s as it felt perfect in every way with the line and reel he was using.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

salmon11

Reaction score
My favourite outfits are.

Large rivers- RJC 11146-6piece match with a Danielsson H5D 11forteen loaded with Rio Scandi 10/11 or the 3D version depending on the water levels.

Medium rivers- RJC 8130-6piece match with a Danielsson L5W 8twelve loaded with a Gaelforce Equalizer integrate 9# or Gaelforce 3D depending on water levels.

Small rivers- RJC 7122-5piece match with Danielsson L5W 8twelve loaded with a Gaelforce Equalizer integrate 8#

BAE8C77E-3476-454D-80F4-92F9CA5B65A1.jpeg
7E01D05F-23D1-4A2A-8E5E-2E17BCD21A7B.jpeg

ibm59

Reaction score
Winston b11t 9’ #4
Lamson Litespeed 2 Hard Alox
Rio LT #4 and Cadno silk dt #4

If pressed to choose , I use a Loop Evotec 12’6” #6 with a Vosseler S2 and various lines for most of my salmon fishing these days.
This Rod really brought it home to me that the LINE is where you should start making up your outfit.

bros

Reaction score
Small river....rod 11'6 Snowbee geo nano....reel Hardy swift mk2.............line rio ssvt

Med river......rod 14' Hardy Marksman 2t....reel Hardy sirrus no3.............line gaelforce sh

Large river....rod 15' Airflo Airlite v2.......... reel Hardy sirrus no3.............line vision ace sh

dave_n

Reaction score
Oracle switch, barrio line and Truefly reel for most situations.
For bigger rivers I like the Norris #10 with a hardy Mach 2

rs2ford

Reaction score
Great thread Neil.

Small river;
Loop Cross S1 12'2" 7wt, Danielsson L5W 8twelve and Rio Scandi Versitip or Loop Cross 11ft 7wt switch, Loop Opti Runner and Barrio 22g switch line.

Medium river, high water;
Gaelforce Destination 13'9" 8/9wt, Denielsson H5D 11fourteen and Gaelforce Equaliser integrated 39g head.
Medium river, low water;
Gaelforce Destination 12'9" 8/9wt, Danielsson L5W 8twelve and Gaelforce Equaliser integrated 34g head.

Large river;
Sage X 15ft, Hardy CLS 9000 and Gaelforce Equaliser integrated 42g head.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited: