Fantastic spring on Tweed

kingfisher

Reaction score
I'd love to have a few days on the Spey just now but it seems to be strictly locals only and anyway there's no room at the inn.
I've been sitting looking at my rods and reels and flies and hoping for water in the Teith or Earn so that I can have a go.
No joy so far and none forecast.
The lockdown continues.
It's no fair.:(
Tom a mate stays in Callander and he was out fishing Friday evening and saw two fish launch out of the Giusher pool if that’s how it’s spelt?

mows

Reaction score
Read the report already and it's not going to happen. :(
Too long in the teeth now to be driving 100 miles North and 100 miles South in the same day.
Afraid the police state has absolute control in this situation. No sign of her relaxing it much either.:(
Just say your Prince Charles, Ian Blackford, or away to a protest. You'll have no bother from Mr Plod!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I'd love to have a few days on the Spey just now but it seems to be strictly locals only and anyway there's no room at the inn.
I've been sitting looking at my rods and reels and flies and hoping for water in the Teith or Earn so that I can have a go.
No joy so far and none forecast.
The lockdown continues.
It's no fair.:(
You can get tickets for Spey on some beats but like you said no Accomadation. So unless you are up for a tent or sleeping in your car your stuffed. It’s the sh1tting in bushes that I couldn’t bear. Fingers crossed things get eased some more in a week then a good bit more 3 weeks after that. If so we might manage to rescue the grilse season. I would give my right arm to be on the Findhorn right now after that massive lift it got last week.

Oscar

Reaction score
I see that the Ulbster Arms in Halkirk is now taking bookings - does this mean they are seeing a potential end to restrictions I wonder?

Oscar.

ArchieL

Reaction score
The boys with the October/November Tiemshare rods must be spewing that the run times appear to be changing on the river. The boys with the late spring early summer will be smiling if the trend continues. Thing with Timeshares is the more fish you catch the higher your maintenance fee. Even 1 or 2 extra fish caught can result in massive jumps on to the next tier of maintenance fees. Not a bad problem to have mind you.

T7

Reaction score
How are beats managing the social distancing thing? Ghillies in boats, driving guests to different pools etc? Even use of the hut must all be difficult.

charlieH

Reaction score
The boys with the October/November Tiemshare rods must be spewing that the run times appear to be changing on the river. The boys with the late spring early summer will be smiling if the trend continues. Thing with Timeshares is the more fish you catch the higher your maintenance fee. Even 1 or 2 extra fish caught can result in massive jumps on to the next tier of maintenance fees. Not a bad problem to have mind you.
Not necessarily. Apparently the terms of some of the early timeshare schemes - the Conon, for example - don't allow for any adjustment in the maintenance charge to reflect changes in the distribution of catches through the season. I'm told that there have previously been proposals to rebalance the payments, but any such change needs to have the agreement of all timeshare owners, and in the past this has been blocked by those who have been disproportionately favoured by the arrangement.

If it comes back to bite them on the bum, and those people end up paying disproportionately high charges for weeks that are now producing fewer fish than previously, it'd be hard not to think that they are simply getting their just deserts!

ArchieL

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Apparently the terms of some of the early timeshare schemes - the Conon, for example - don't allow for any adjustment in the maintenance charge to reflect changes in the distribution of catches through the season. I'm told that there have previously been proposals to rebalance the payments, but any such change needs to have the agreement of all timeshare owners, and in the past this has been blocked by those who have been disproportionately favoured by the arrangement.

If it comes back to bite them on the bum, and those people end up paying disproportionately high charges for weeks that are now producing fewer fish than previously, it'd be hard not to think that they are simply getting their just deserts!
I know of 1 fish caught on a Tay Beat which cost the week owner an awful lot of money hence why i posted what i did. I have previously owned fishing (Not Timeshare) and and it was an absolute headache with all the legal bumf and voting for almost everything which had to be done and posted away each year. My rods were not that dear compared to peak time rods on the beat but you knew that there was alot of politics going on in the operating company. Rods were sold pretty quickly after i found out that owning my own salmon fishing was not as nice an experience as i expected it to be. Just like to see any river doing well so good luck to the Tweed and its fishers.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Tay....seems reasonable
Dee...poor
Spey....good with reports of plenty fish running.
From what I have been told, runs into rivers further north are at least average.
Edit.....I am hearing there has been a fair run of few new fish appeared in the Dee.
So looking positive all round.
Shame I am marooned on the rock!

HOWKEMOOT

Reaction score
How are beats managing the social distancing thing? Ghillies in boats, driving guests to different pools etc? Even use of the hut must all be difficult.
Where I fish on middle Spey, boats out of use, must wear a life jacket, no use of any hut facilities, gillie will net provided social distancing is applied, use own transport at all times. All a bit dreich.

M

• Thanks
Reactions: T7

larry_grayson

Reaction score
I've fished both the Tweed and the Spey in the last few weeks, the difference between both rivers is night and day.
Tweed fish congregate in the deep pools only so far up...once they spread out I'd expect catches to drop off.

On the Spey , fish belted through and this makes it harder to catch fish I think.

Spay all day for me and I live a stone's throw away from the Tweed.
I find the river boring TBH.
OK I'm English but I have fished both the Tweed and the Spey as recently as last year and I'm pretty sure they are more than 10 mile apart.

Chicharito

Reaction score
OK I'm English but I have fished both the Tweed and the Spey as recently as last year and I'm pretty sure they are more than 10 mile apart.
Aye, just ignore the guidelines and spread the virus!
Well done Dominic Cummins!
If you live in England the Scottish bookings shouldn't have been taken!
I don't see how your actions can be condoned. Did you travel to the Spey and back in a day or stay over?
Reckless behaviour IMO.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Aye, just ignore the guidelines and spread the virus!
Well done Dominic Cummins!
If you live in England the Scottish bookings shouldn't have been taken!
I don't see how your actions can be condoned. Did you travel to the Spey and back in a day or stay over?
Reckless behaviour IMO.
Meant to reply to Lefthand up not LarryG of course!

lefthandup

Reaction score
Fine and nor do I care what you think.
What you did was wrong, end of!
Ok , let's be realistic here...the virus is here to stay long term.
You can either get on with your life in as normal a way possible whilst being sensible or you can let it dominate your life to misery.

I'm not going to tell you or anyone else how to live your life and you ain't ever going to tell me how to live mine.

It's that simple...
Now move on , I can't believe it's taken this long for someone to get on their high horse TBH.

scoops

Reaction score
Really!
I wasn't telling you, the Government guidelines are clear!
I’ve been looking at Spey and wishing to head up but agree a bit to far for me, but Did you not have Italy ski trip when all this Covid carry on was kicking off and rife in Italy, and get your trip cut short?
Which had more chance of infection spreading??