Failure fishing for king salmon.

cgaines10

Reaction score
OMG that's a sore one! Definitely a new net required, a branch for a handle? lol wtf :lol:

wormo

Reaction score
bad luck m8 , the netsman would have went in at the back of it with a boot upthe erse

Tyke

Reaction score
Lovely fish, I appreciate how he must have felt losing that.

Tyke.

heather point

Reaction score
Netsman made a total mess of it.
If I had been on the net the fish would have been in the boat.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Quality, the guy on the rod didn,t help though, holding the rod out the side rather than dragging it towards the net, a spare ,hanging treble in the middle of the net was always going to end badly! Nice looking fish though.
peter

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a little about king salmon and much of that looked bad.

Yes the net was inappropriate. That net made the fish look larger than it may have been...…. I could be scooped up in my king net and I'm a big fella.

Boats - deep water and kings are a bad mix because the salmon inevitably tries to go under the boat once close (guide should know that)

Get a really big one hooked from a boat? Start scanning the shoreline because it's a world easier from shore. I've done that for fellows when salmon are in impossible spots. Hold the boat up-current let the man swing a fly to the fish - fish hooked cross the river to a tiny gravel bar and then net fish with HUGE Ranger rubber bag net....

Last fellow I had fishing kings here with Spey rod caught 22 of them and we netted each at shore even 2 hooked from boat in flood conditions.

Lastly, when I say big kings I mean 50 pound salmon that will weigh 50 on a scale. They can be a real handful and you are best served if the guide has successfully handled numerous large fish and can coach you through it.

Handel

Reaction score
One of the things I have come to appreciate more as a result of fishing abroad is Scottish (and Welsh, never fished in Ireland or with a gillie in England) gillies/boatmen. They know how to net a fish. That is a very rare skill to encounter outside the UK.

keirstream

Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
What a treat Kamfishing.:lol::lol:
I get so fed up of videos on here with the perfectly executed cast with the fly working at the perfect depth and speed catching the perfect fish landed perfectly 1st time by a netsman with a halo round his head. That's not real.
What you have been good enough to post here is marvelous entertainment, I chuckled all the way through it, the netsman had the fish in the net at least 3 times and every time he pulled it back. Great fun.
That lad would be a star on the Benny Hill show.:)
He'll learn.
Thanks again.:thumb:

JACK POWER

Reaction score
You reckon that lad had a future that didn't involve a sauce Tom?

There was for many years a salmon assassin on our river. He's dead now but he was a relentless, skilled and highly motivated angler - he sold all his catch. It is not an exaggeration to say he turned gaff use into an art form. He carried an old brass Hardy, collapsible one under his coat on a kind of Sam Brown belt. I often saw him undo it, extend it and do the dirty deed in almost one movement. If you looked three seconds later there was no gaff to be seen, it was back under the the coat. Just one of the lost skills. If he carried the really long gaff you knew there were fish around because he did not always feel obliged to hook a fish before taking one. When men were men and often poachers too ... Ahhhh well again.

Last edited: