Extreme selfishness

salarchaser

Reaction score
Someone posted on our local forum today asking whether anywhere within 6 miles has fuel because that's how much she has left and the two fuel stations in our town are both dry still, and she's rang both and they don't know when they're getting a delivery.

Derbyshire is still panicking, then.
No different in parts of cheshire.
Mrs SC has 31 miles left but no diesel local to us.
Still got over 50 gallons in the tractor and a couple 100 litres in the storage tank. Pity its red though.

Bonito

Reaction score
Taking control appears to mean accepting a reduction in standard of living to no noticeable societal effect, and with no end in sight. We haven't even hit the worst of disruption yet. That will happen post January. This is just the warm up. Short term pain for long term gain is all very well, but no one has outlined the gains yet - still - beyond romantic concepts of control and sovereignty, which are only benefits in an unglobalised economy.

I think moaning is a proportionate response to all the concurrent events. Hardship in service of glory is noble. Hardship in service of an ill-defined vision of 'control' - yeah, I'm struggling to swallow that AND my cauliflower, swede, pumpkin and cabbage. I imagined the sunlit uplands would consist of more than root vegetables, having to shop for milk every other day and accepting that this Christmas, turkey is off the menu, Christmas trees are in short supply and the kids' presents won't get through customs. Is all. I don't want or need MORE than I ever had, and of course this isn't real hardship at all for those of us with a decent income. I'm struggling to swallow that we all now have access to less, and everything costs more, and is harder to get - and if you dare to complain or suggest it's the fault of Brexit, people tell you to stop moaning and eat your turnips, like Baldrick. Eating local is one thing. Watching the rest of the world trade and enjoy each other's goods freely while we boil our turnips...? I don't remember that being on the side of any buses.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What a load of tripe. I`m not into Indian or Chinese foods, prefer good old fashioned standard british food. Over the last, lets say week 10 days I`ve had fresh fish (cod) steak fillets, turkey twice, chicken fillets, made shepherds pie, had steak pie, made a basic chicken stir fry no shortage of anything on the shelfs. The above accompanied by whatever veg I fancied. Put £20 into the diesel Volvo 3 days ago, that runs a week + as most is local just now. Had to queue behind a whole 2 cars and a builders van. Only other car in the station was using the air pump. Now if the kids presents will not get through customs, try buying in UK, no need for customs. My standard of living is pretty constant and costs, really don`t notice any difference. You are making a lot of your little anti Boris / Tory tirade up.

PS our supermarkets, as well as having normal veg and fruits we are used to also have some very tasty lookiin stuff from S. America and Africa. The tomatoes especially look vastly superior to the Spanish cast offs we normally get.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Do we think maybe there is an actual fuel shortage? Because I am at a loss to understand why the pumps are still dry in my town - I get the initial panic, but surely all the panickers have done their panicking by now...? It's not like where I live is that big....

Safranfoer

Reaction score

What a load of tripe. I`m not into Indian or Chinese foods, prefer good old fashioned standard british food. Over the last, lets say week 10 days I`ve had fresh fish (cod) steak fillets, turkey twice, chicken fillets, made shepherds pie, had steak pie, made a basic chicken stir fry no shortage of anything on the shelfs. The above accompanied by whatever veg I fancied. Put £20 into the diesel Volvo 3 days ago, that runs a week + as most is local just now. Had to queue behind a whole 2 cars and a builders van. Only other car in the station was using the air pump. Now if the kids presents will not get through customs, try buying in UK, no need for customs. My standard of living is pretty constant and costs, really don`t notice any difference. You are making a lot of your little anti Boris / Tory tirade up.

PS our supermarkets, as well as having normal veg and fruits we are used to also have some very tasty lookiin stuff from S. America and Africa. The tomatoes especially look vastly superior to the Spanish cast offs we normally get.
Your reply is fair enough - and thank you - except for buying kids toys made in the UK. We don't MAKE much stuff in the UK.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Do we think maybe there is an actual fuel shortage? Because I am at a loss to understand why the pumps are still dry in my town - I get the initial panic, but surely all the panickers have done their panicking by now...? It's not like where I live is that big....
Since moving back here I have come to the conclusion that having pointless mass panic attacks is just part of life for a certain proportion of the population. I expect that it's to do with the weather and therefore watching too much East Enders or something. People should get out more, some of them need to have a serious word with themselves.

Bonito

Reaction score
Your reply is fair enough - and thank you - except for buying kids toys made in the UK. We don't MAKE much stuff in the UK.

You can BUY it in UK, regardless of whether it is made here, china, usa or outer mongolia. Will be in shops so you have no worries on customs.

salarchaser

Reaction score

You can laugh if you want and you can speak for your little corner of the country but it is wrong of you to generalise.

Where I live in cheshire there has been no fuel since Sunday (not that I got any then).
Dont use supernarkets that often as I tend to buy fresh stuff from farm shops. However, we do a bulk shop of tins / frozen / dry goods once a month.
Definitely gaps on the shelves.
Mightnt be as bad as it could be, but definitely a negative experience in my neck of the woods.

Boris / Tory / Brexit. No tirade as you put it, just factual observation.

peterchilton

Reaction score
You can laugh if you want and you can speak for your little corner of the country but it is wrong of you to generalise.

Where I live in cheshire there has been no fuel since Sunday (not that I got any then).
Dont use supernarkets that often as I tend to buy fresh stuff from farm shops. However, we do a bulk shop of tins / frozen / dry goods once a month.
Definitely gaps on the shelves.
Mightnt be as bad as it could be, but definitely a negative experience in my neck of the woods.

Boris / Tory / Brexit. No tirade as you put it, just factual observation.
Just don’t generalise it’s nothing like that in mid wales, plenty of fuel and plenty of full shelves and plenty of life in the products 👍
Aren’t the tories making an example of Derbyshire and Cheshire and I guess you all know why 😊

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Just don’t generalise it’s nothing like that in mid wales, plenty of fuel and plenty of full shelves and plenty of life in the products 👍
Aren’t the tories making an example of Derbyshire and Cheshire and I guess you all know why 😊
I don't know why...

salarchaser

Reaction score
Im not generalising. Exactly the opposite. Just saying the experience in my neck of the woods isnt perfect.
Currently no fuel.
Gaps on shelves. Plenty of stuff, just often not what you're looking for.
Irrespective of politics, it could be better.

Never mind, we have control of our borders.
Or not.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Headed up the motorway today with just under 1/4 of a tank. In the petrol station, the guy in front of me put £17 of diesel in his car. He then pulled off onto the motorway, slipped his Zafira into Sport mode and headed off at about 90.

£17!

salarchaser

Reaction score
Headed up the motorway today with just under 1/4 of a tank. In the petrol station, the guy in front of me put £17 of diesel in his car. He then pulled off onto the motorway, slipped his Zafira into Sport mode and headed off at about 90.

£17!
Thats what's causing the problem.
Less people genuinely needing to fill up, it's people topping off whenever they can.

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Nae fuel shortage for me I've got plenty 😜. I knew some tit wae a mobile would take a pic 🥴
Screenshot_20210930-185053~2.png

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Thats what's causing the problem.
Less people genuinely needing to fill up, it's people topping off whenever they can.
Let him crack on if he’s doing it on the motorway. There are no shortages there. It’ll probably go off if someone doesn’t buy it.

Loxie

Reaction score
Taking control appears to mean accepting a reduction in standard of living to no noticeable societal effect, and with no end in sight. We haven't even hit the worst of disruption yet. That will happen post January. This is just the warm up. Short term pain for long term gain is all very well, but no one has outlined the gains yet - still - beyond romantic concepts of control and sovereignty, which are only benefits in an unglobalised economy.

I think moaning is a proportionate response to all the concurrent events. Hardship in service of glory is noble. Hardship in service of an ill-defined vision of 'control' - yeah, I'm struggling to swallow that AND my cauliflower, swede, pumpkin and cabbage. I imagined the sunlit uplands would consist of more than root vegetables, having to shop for milk every other day and accepting that this Christmas, turkey is off the menu, Christmas trees are in short supply and the kids' presents won't get through customs. Is all. I don't want or need MORE than I ever had, and of course this isn't real hardship at all for those of us with a decent income. I'm struggling to swallow that we all now have access to less, and everything costs more, and is harder to get - and if you dare to complain or suggest it's the fault of Brexit, people tell you to stop moaning and eat your turnips, like Baldrick. Eating local is one thing. Watching the rest of the world trade and enjoy each other's goods freely while we boil our turnips...? I don't remember that being on the side of any buses.
The government, her majesty's opposition, the Liberal Democrat's, The SNP and the Greens all said this would happen. It seemed perfectly obvious to me this would happen. However it seems the majority of UK voters, and by your own account very nearly you, preferred to leave the EU. One of the very worse things about democracy is that we sign up to do what the majority want. Unfortunately the alternative is no democracy.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
The government, her majesty's opposition, the Liberal Democrat's, The SNP and the Greens all said this would happen. It seemed perfectly obvious to me this would happen. However it seems the majority of UK voters, and by your own account very nearly you, preferred to leave the EU. One of the very worse things about democracy is that we sign up to do what the majority want. Unfortunately the alternative is no democracy.
In the end I voted remain because I wouldn’t trust this government to exit a tricky car parking space successfully, let alone a relationship that underpins so many aspects of daily life and law, and I couldn’t be part of the xenophobia that masqueraded as patriotism from the likes of Farage. I feel entirely vindicated. A good idea badly executed is a bad idea. I am so glad I changed my vote so I can legitimately whinge about the uselessness. It’s wrong of me to blame Brexit. It’s how Brexit was implemented. Did not need to be this chaotic at all.

Loxie

Reaction score
In the end I voted remain because I wouldn’t trust this government to exit a tricky car parking space successfully, let alone a relationship that underpins so many aspects of daily life and law, and I couldn’t be part of the xenophobia that masqueraded as patriotism from the likes of Farage. I feel entirely vindicated. A good idea badly executed is a bad idea. I am so glad I changed my vote so I can legitimately whinge about the uselessness. It’s wrong of me to blame Brexit. It’s how Brexit was implemented. Did not need to be this chaotic at all.
It was always going to be like this, whichever muppets were running the show.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Anyway. We are where we are. I finally found someone local with logs today, so at least I can hunker down over winter and hope for a brighter spring.

Loxie

Reaction score
I don’t agree. May’s deal even was more pragmatic.
I don't disagree that any number of permutations could have been better, or less bad as I prefer to see it, but that's not what the majority wanted. Fundamentally we voted to make ourselves poorer and after that it's just a question of degree. It seems that the Brexit we have is what people wanted.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I don't disagree that any number of permutations could have been better, or less bad as I prefer to see it, but that's not what the majority wanted. Fundamentally we voted to make ourselves poorer and after that it's just a question of degree. It seems that the Brexit we have is what people wanted.
I feel like people are too stubborn to say that this isn’t the Brexit they ordered/expected/wanted because that suggests regret so there’s lots of bluster and ‘nothing to see here everything is FINE and all the shortages and tensions and problems are imagined or FINE’. Maybe there isn’t anything to see, long term. I’ll be the first to admit I very much live in the moment, especially since my dad died unexpectedly and it really made me reassess what a life well lived means. I do prioritise the moment. Anyway. You’re right that the majority voted for it but that doesn’t to my mind mean they therefore have to accept whatever half-assed implementation they’re left with. That’s just tribalism. I’ve spent all week despairing at the utter carnival that has been the Labour Party conference. It’s actually painful how unfit to serve they are. There doesn’t seem to be this sense of, Christ this is NOT what I ordered from Leave voters right now.

Whatever. I have logs and wine and I don’t even like turkey. I’m happy to hibernate til spring.