Extreme selfishness

peterchilton

Reaction score
In Mid wales, no problems. No queues for petrol, I got some at 7pm last night and i was the only person on the forecourt, cashier said it was a bit busy on friday.

Went to Tesco, no empty shelves. Its just a selfish panic driven by the remoaner MSM.

ozzyian

Reaction score
In Mid wales, no problems. No queues for petrol, I got some at 7pm last night and i was the only person on the forecourt, cashier said it was a bit busy on friday.

Went to Tesco, no empty shelves. Its just a selfish panic driven by the remoaner MSM.
No problem here either. Must be a middle England thing.

I think it's right that they have got the army in to help, though I wouldn't have them driving tankers I'd have have them firing warning shots over the heads of the a-holes at the service stations to disperse them. Give them something to really flap about :)

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Yes but an imaginary shortage of petrol isn't a crisis and it certainly isn't grounds to panic.

I suspect people actually enjoy a bit of a crisis and I think they enjoy the excuse to have a flap - it gives meaning and purpose to their otherwise dull existence. It seems to happen here a lot with the media expertly egging it all on.

Anyway, can't hang about chit chatting all day, need to get back in the queue at Tescos. I managed to get £4.26 worth in yesterday (though quite a lot ended up on my shoes) and it's a least a 5 mile round trip so I probably need some more.
There's the ongoing pandemic, disruption to food supply chains, disruption to our kids' educations, the removal of universal credit, energy companies going under and gas prices rising astronomically. An imaginary shortage of petrol in and of itself is no cause for panic. In the context of everything else - many people are on high alert, and the government has lost authority when it says, 'There is no problem with xxxx' because there's been at least a billion recent examples where it turns out there WAS and they've had to u-turn, fast.

And yes, panic is, fuelled by the media - and that includes everyone posting photos of the 'crisis' on social media. We're all the media now, it's not just MSM.

The queue of traffic is still outside my house. I really, really hope it's not for petrol.

Elibank

Reaction score
Ha! 80 miles til empty. And I'm sitting looking at a queue of traffic outside my house that I suspect is linked to whichever numpty posted on the local forum that the tanker was filling up the Sainsbury's petrol station.

People only panic in times of crisis. Quit with the crises, people will stop panicking. And to be clear, I don't blame Brexit, and certainly not for the driver shortage. But the government's handling of Brexit...? Be nice when I can buy milk with a longer shelf life than tomorrow. That's my baseline expectation for a sunlit upland. It has TEA.
At 12.00, the queue went back 200 yards past Aldi..

Safranfoer

Reaction score
At 12.00, the queue went back 200 yards past Aldi..
Really...? The government saying they've put the army on standby coupled with endless photos of petrol stations on the town forum hasn't reassured the good folk of our town...?

I'll stay in today.

salarchaser

Reaction score

Im sure its not just 'remoaners' being selfish. That seems a bit defensive to me making me assume you're a Brexiteer. (Still waiting for realisation of earthshattering benefits from brexit to be announced - why has NI gone up for healthcare / NHS when the bus said there'd be >£300M a day spare after brexit)

Cheshire certainly has empty shelves (and freezers) in its Tescos. Cant comment on the cause, but noticable.

peterchilton

Reaction score
Im sure its not just 'remoaners' being selfish. That seems a bit defensive to me making me assume you're a Brexiteer. (Still waiting for realisation of earthshattering benefits from brexit to be announced - why has NI gone up for healthcare / NHS when the bus said there'd be >£300M a day spare after brexit)

Cheshire certainly has empty shelves (and freezers) in its Tescos. Cant comment on the cause, but noticable.
You should move to wales.

Yep £350m a day spare is what it said .... lets fund our NHS instead

£350m x 365 = £127 billion

Health spending = £137 - 138 Billion approx

Safranfoer

Reaction score

We haven't got empty shelves, though there are plenty of gaps (they didn't put a shortage of green pesto on the side of a bus, did they?!) - we have got super short shelf lives, especially on meat and dairy, and a noticeable deterioration in the quality of fresh produce. Salad stuff and fruit is going off much faster - I'm giving up on salad, doesn't matter if it's bagged or I make it from scratch, it goes slimy or bitty really quickly. I don't want to shop every day - and don't have the fuel to do it for very long! - and I can't afford to keep wasting money throwing food away.

I feel like the answer is to forget that we ever ate unseasonal/imported fruit and veg. Good for the planet, bad for a kid that only really likes tropical fruit. And I LIKE a crisp salad for lunch. Sigh. I shall count my carbon footprint's reduction, not calories, and bring on the jacket spuds.

ibm59

Reaction score
A7DB2EC0-41EA-4A66-922F-3AFD4110D829.jpeg

ibm59

Reaction score
We haven't got empty shelves, though there are plenty of gaps (they didn't put a shortage of green pesto on the side of a bus, did they?!) - we have got super short shelf lives, especially on meat and dairy, and a noticeable deterioration in the quality of fresh produce. Salad stuff and fruit is going off much faster - I'm giving up on salad, doesn't matter if it's bagged or I make it from scratch, it goes slimy or bitty really quickly. I don't want to shop every day - and don't have the fuel to do it for very long! - and I can't afford to keep wasting money throwing food away.

I feel like the answer is to forget that we ever ate unseasonal/imported fruit and veg. Good for the planet, bad for a kid that only really likes tropical fruit. And I LIKE a crisp salad for lunch. Sigh. I shall count my carbon footprint's reduction, not calories, and bring on the jacket spuds.
Considerably shorter shelf lives on most fresh stuff for sure for a wee while now.
Especially noticeable if you’re having to rely on home deliveries for any reason. 🙄😳

peterchilton

Reaction score
My potato experience was in the midlands 55 years ago, half term. That food sounds all a bit English to me ....

peterchilton

Reaction score
Just been to Tesco no panic buying of petrol

IMG_0166.jpg

Milk sell by date October 20th.

Massive queues for umbrellas and boats though.

salarchaser

Reaction score
You should move to wales.

Yep £350m a day spare is what it said .... lets fund our NHS instead

£350m x 365 = £127 billion

Health spending = £137 - 138 Billion approx
Lived there until I was 24. Still visit, usually with rod in hand, but settled where I am now.

As for numbers, the money being used to fund the NHS didnt disappear with Brexit, so the £127B should be additional.
But who believes politicians? Lie, get what they want, waffle, move on.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
My husband just excitedly reported that he has got diesel - his fuel light was on - AND he only had to queue for 5 minutes. But there was no milk at all in the petrol station shop. Perhaps you could start sending food parcels across, Peter? Maybe airdrops, like we're West Berlin?

peterchilton

Reaction score
How much will you pay for a 2 litre bottle of milk sell by date Oct 20th? £10.00 or swap for a second hand brolly?

madcaster

Reaction score
I've been a fuel tanker driver for over 30 years through fuel blockades and strikes it doesn't take long for the country to grind to a halt.
Sadly this one is pure stupidity.
Only tonight whilst I was trying to get on a forecourt was the police called to move traffic.

Army ! Don't make me laugh WTF they tried that one during the 2002 blockades and 2008 strikes and there was too many fu@k ups that cost millions.

It'll ease in the next week when folk realise there tanks are full and there going nowhere.

MC