Ever Heard Of The Eternal Optimist??

keirstream

Reaction score
The Eternal Optimist is a lovely fly which looks to me that you could catch fish all year on it. A stick on, you would think?
I make it a point to give it a throw every time I am out Spring and Autumn and never had so much as a pull on it.:(
The point being, I think most members on the forum nowadays would rest easy enough under that description. For myself, I see myself that way as, despite not long ago putting the rods away after a long and mostly difficult season and thinking "will I put myself through all that mental anguish again next year?" the first time I see decent fishing coming up, well, you just have to book it, don't you?
So, last night I was scrolling through Fishpal, minding my own business and trying my best to ignore the adverts when, in front of my eyes up popped an offer I could not refuse. A week on Kinnermony in mid April?? I'll have some of that!:)
The online process failed and wouldn't allow me to book so this morning I was right on the phone and who answered? None other than Anne Woodcock.:nod: Anne can talk. What seemed like 2 hours or so later I came off the phone and wondered if in fact I had booked the rods but, rytenuff, as they say around Speyside and Inversneckie, the confirmation was in my inbox.:thumb: Purrfect!
So, 2 days in wonderful Speyside kicks it off in the Spring, my 1st bookings for the new season in this country. And it's still November.:shocked:
Anybody else got the ball rolling yet???

Last edited:

barbonboy

Reaction score
Got a few booked
April 4 days Kercock
May 3 days Stobhall
June 3 days Lower Kinnaird.
August 4 days Kercock
September 7 days in Ireland.
Years nearly full,:D

westie4566

Reaction score
Nice one Tom,you'll enjoy that.

Aye, booked up at Tulchan again for April and have added an extra day to it for next year. Cannae wait!

budge

Reaction score
Mine will probably be the same thirty odd days on the Ribble keep saying I will book a few days up Scotland somewhere but don't know where or when to start.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

tenet

Reaction score
Deposit sent for weeks 22 and 38 on Thurso. Far to much money so no ghillies next year and having just turned 74 need to get as much fishing in whilst i still have some mobility.:thumb:

keirstream

Reaction score
Nice one Tom,you'll enjoy that.

Aye, booked up at Tulchan again for April and have added an extra day to it for next year. Cannae wait!
I'll most likely be fishing a couple of days there also in April along with The Banjo who has the booking. He is fishing with me on Kinermony. It's a braw time to be on the Spey.:thumb:
Then mibees a couple of days along with the Southie Maestro himself. He has guaranteed springers or else he'll refund the permit money out of his retirement golden handshake or did I hear him wrong??? Before that in March I have a standing 3 day booking on Gallery when I would like to fit in a day on Stracathro for myself. I like there.
After that in early April I have an invitation for 3 days on the Helmsdale which is sadly now just a bit too early but really looking forward to the experience and catching up with Youngy again.:) Last week in April is 3 or 4 days on East Haugh which has been pants over the last 2 or 3 seasons but it'll be better next year.
Mid May sees us on the Conon for a week. Throw in regular weekly rods on the Teith and Earn and I have officially run out of time next season.
As I said, an Eternal Optimist.:lol::lol:

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Got a few booked
April 4 days Kercock
May 3 days Stobhall
June 3 days Lower Kinnaird.
August 4 days Kercock
September 7 days in Ireland.
Years nearly full,:D
Some nice beats there, especially if the mighty Tay picks up.:thumb:
Where would you go in Ireland in September?
I wouldn't mind a tilt at the Mourne myself.

G

guest2938

Findhorn March and June
Spey Tulchan April
NC500 fishing trip year 2 can’t wait

And all with guid pals.... braw !

DCH

westie4566

Reaction score
I'll most likely be fishing a couple of days there also in April along with The Banjo who has the booking. He is fishing with me on Kinermony. It's a braw time to be on the Spey.:thumb:
Then mibees a couple of days along with the Southie Maestro himself. He has guaranteed springers or else he'll refund the permit money out of his retirement golden handshake or did I hear him wrong??? Before that in March I have a standing 3 day booking on Gallery when I would like to fit in a day on Stracathro for myself. I like there.
After that in early April I have an invitation for 3 days on the Helmsdale which is sadly now just a bit too early but really looking forward to the experience and catching up with Youngy again.:) Last week in April is 3 or 4 days on East Haugh which has been pants over the last 2 or 3 seasons but it'll be better next year.
Mid May sees us on the Conon for a week. Throw in regular weekly rods on the Teith and Earn and I have officially run out of time next season.
As I said, an Eternal Optimist.:lol::lol:
Haha, if your on Tulchan wi the Southie Maestro then you'll be up the same time as us. We did the original booking of the two beats together a few years back.

Totally forgot about Stracathro!! We have our usual spring days there plus our seatrout nights over the summer. Also have Park in Feb. Add that to my Brechin and ADAA fishing and it's already getting to be a busy year!

Tyke

Reaction score
Kicking things off early with 3 days on upper Floors in Feb, then 3 days at the end of April / beginning of May on Kincardine on the Dee, end of May another 3 days on Junction, followed by 3 days on Banchory in mid June & a week on the Spey in August.
Then a week with Rennie waving the big rods around at Rome Croy (Tay) in September & a week on the Luce in October.
Sadly we ditched our week on the Tweed at the end of October/ beginning of November last year after almost 30 years in my case, so may have to look for something else to replace it earlier in the year....

Tyke.

keirstream

Reaction score
Findhorn March and June
Spey Tulchan April
NC500 fishing trip year 2 can’t wait

And all with guid pals.... braw !

DCH
NC500 trip. How does that work?
Is it going to be day tickets on the Helmsdale, Naver, Thurso, Borgie ticket water kind of trip?
The Kyle's a good bet.:thumb:

barbonboy

Reaction score
Some nice beats there, especially if the mighty Tay picks up.:thumb:
Where would you go in Ireland in September?
I wouldn't mind a tilt at the Mourne myself.
Ive fished the Owenmore for years. If it gets water, you can have a good week. Catches have dropped off, from what they used to be, but this year it picked up, a little. Lovely little spate river, in Bangor Erris.

keirstream

Reaction score
Haha, if your on Tulchan wi the Southie Maestro then you'll be up the same time as us.
No, you have it wrong.
I'm on the Southie with the Southie Maestro.
He says we can't possibly go wrong. Sore arms and all that.
And I thought it was I who was the Eternal Optimist.:lol:

G

guest2938

NC500 trip. How does that work?
Is it going to be day tickets on the Helmsdale, Naver, Thurso, Borgie ticket water kind of trip?
The Kyle's a good bet.:thumb:
Yes, exactly that. I camped it and the weather and scenery was stunning. Kyle of Durness I enjoyed. I’ve some experience under my belt for next year, plus I’ll try and stretch a week and add a couple more rivers.

Kinermony is a great cast, I enjoyed the very top (fish from little turn? ) and the very bottom. That’s where I felt the action was on the day.

DCH

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Then a week with Rennie waving the big rods around at Rome Croy (Tay) in September & a week on the Luce in October.

Tyke.
Fair year you have coming up there.:thumb:
How do you do on the Luce?
Only last night I was thinking of a pop at the Cree.

Rennie

Reaction score
Rome Croy cheque went in the post some weeks back, Ribble cheque won't leave the book until early on next year, but I'm committed to returning Ribbleside for another season.
After that, well its difficult times at the moment here in the House of Rennie, so it's going to be a see what unfolds net year.Fancy an early trip, but at the moment every things in the lap of the gods.
Pedro.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I've got my usual day's booked on the northie, will also have a few days on the tay and Annan, I'll also be taking my clyde ticket next season and whatever else takes my fancy throughout the season and in between I'll be hitting the brownies on the Clyde, Annan, tweed and on the talla 🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣 bring it on :nod:

keirstream

Reaction score
Ive fished the Owenmore for years. If it gets water, you can have a good week. Catches have dropped off, from what they used to be, but this year it picked up, a little. Lovely little spate river, in Bangor Erris.
Now that's a fair call.
I almost bought a house in Bangor 10 years back but too much flaffing about with Irish lawyers and auctioneers.:(
I have fished Carrowmore but never the river. I quite fancy that.:)

keirstream

Reaction score
Yes, exactly that. I camped it and the weather and scenery was stunning. Kyle of Durness I enjoyed. I’ve some experience under my belt for next year, plus I’ll try and stretch a week and add a couple more rivers.

Kinermony is a great cast, I enjoyed the very top (fish from little turn? ) and the very bottom. That’s where I felt the action was on the day.

DCH
I watched the local lads fishing the low tide for sea trout way out on the flats in the Kyle of Tongue last July, they were just spots in the distance. I would never attempt that, I'm not fast enough anymore to beat the incoming tide.
Stunning, just stunning landscape.:thumb:

westie4566

Reaction score
No, you have it wrong.
I'm on the Southie with the Southie Maestro.
He says we can't possibly go wrong. Sore arms and all that.
And I thought it was I who was the Eternal Optimist.:lol:
Let me know when your there and I'll stick my heid in past. I wouldn't bank on SM's golden handshake paying for your permit though.....it may already be all spent on fishing:nod::tongue::lol:

G

guest2938

I didn’t go to the KoT only drove though it. Fishing the KoD was daunting enough. I was gobsmacked at the scenery between Applecross and Thurso. Duncansby Head is a place to visit though. Mesmerised. That’s the best of Scotland.

DCH

Tyke

Reaction score
I didn't do too badly, it was late-ish October so the fish were coloured, but they are all returned anyway & certainly weren't yet ready for spawning.

The water was a wee bit low, but we had a couple of mini lifts in the week which helped to freshen it up & by adapting tactics to a stealthy approach (I fished a 6 wt switch rod & 360 grain Scandi head with 5 ft poly tips & smaller flies than I would have used in better water levels) I contacted fish. I had a day off to go hind stalking (successfully) so in 5 days fishing I landed 3, lost a good one at the net, lost 2 others after 20-30 seconds & 2 more after after a couple of thumps on the rod plus 1 or 2 missed takes where there was no contact on lifting into the fish.

All good fun on the light gear, I didn't catch anything large, 2 at around 8 lbs & 1 of about 6 lbs, but the one I lost at the net would have been 12 + lbs (had to try & hold him as he was doing his best to get around a snag).

My pal Paul had a couple of better ones of around 15 & 12 lbs. there were a couple of sea trout caught as well, but not very big ones.

Regards, Tyke.

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
I've got my Tay spring dates booked, regards the rest they will all happen but can wait till the new year to book. I actually enjoy my winter breaks now and not dread them, possibly a age thing!?

Woodbank

Reaction score
Never tried the Luce in October but had some lovely sport on stairs in August/September ave you had a good run there before ?

mows

Reaction score
You're all making me jealous.
I'm keeping my brechin permit and that might be it, as I don't know when I'll be able to fish.
I'll still be paying for the odd days such as tulchan and balmcewan, but may well be giving them away.
The good news is i will have some free time to fish during the week.
I'll give you a taste of the new, new fettercairn if I do make Tulchan.

Cheers

Mows