Ever had a first cast fish?

nickolas

Reaction score
First time

Had a few over the years, and a few last cast as well.. most memorable was this one.. if Carlsberg did birthdays 😊

Yep, first time to Russia, first morning, jumped out of the chopper, guide told me to stand on a stone, made a first false cast amongst some boulders, went to make the proper cast, thought i was on rock, 18lbs on the end, very , very luck start to a very good week. Memories.

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Twice...and from the same pool.

1st instance was around 10 years ago. A chap had just fished the pool through and was coming out at the bottom. I went in at the top and started to strip and lengthen line. I made my 1st full cast and hooked a fish on a size 9 Cascade. Turned out to be a 15 1/2 lb'er.

2nd instance was last season. I had just walked into the pool and had lengthened some line. I flicked out roughly half the head and looked down to pull off another yard. Just as looked up, the current caught the line and a second later the line drew away. I lifted and was into a fish. Long story short...the chap that was netting the fish didn't drop the net as I drew the fish in and the fish hit the rim and came off. I looked in the 10-12lb range. I hooked another 10 minutes later at the tail of the pool which about turned and headed back to the sea...came off after about 10 seconds.

Both fish were from the Bonhill Pool, River Leven :nod:

NEbody

Reaction score
I introduced a friend to salmon fishing on a beat I'd fished for years. Set him away on the first morning: showed him a pool to start on, where the fish were likely to be and how to cover them.

Watched him for a while then went off to the next pool up. First cast: 9lb fish;) Sadly, he came to realise quite quickly that it's not always so easy.

GeeZedTee

Reaction score
First cast

Yes, on the River Mole in the Pylon Pool. Slid down the sandbank onto the gravel. Walked to the edge of the water and pulled some line off the reel, decided to flick the fly into the fast water at the head of the pool to get a bit of line out for the back cast. As the fly landed some 10 foot out I saw a flash of silver come up from a crack in the bedrock and a grilse attached itself to my line! My first ever salmon, on my first cast, and the last for a few years!!!!! Anyway we ate it on my 50th Birthday and very tasty it was too.