European cup

salarchaser

Reaction score
I’m an even prouder Devonian this evening . Not the prettiest game but full of the guts and determination that makes rugby the great game that it is . Two great European games with West Country rugby teams coming out on top .
Exciting last 20 mins.
Body on the line defending. Great discipline.

Loxie

Reaction score
As a Devonian I'd also add that Exeter are reasonably representative for a top side and to be best in Europe with that philosophy is a great achievement.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Yes not a good look for a full back. It is a bit of a mystery why they signed him. They certainly don't play to his strengths.

In your opinion Handel do you think Finn even saw Nowell?

He still has the eye for the unexpected of course but an error like that is very uncharacteristic these days. Good game of rugby as it was, you have to feel for the Racing boys though, it leaves you feeling like a crime was committed when such positivity goes unrewarded in sport. Fair play to Exeter, no shortage of commitment, deserved I would say.

Handel

Reaction score
In your opinion Handel do you think Finn even saw Nowell?

He still has the eye for the unexpected of course but an error like that is very uncharacteristic these days. Good game of rugby as it was, you have to feel for the Racing boys though, it leaves you feeling like a crime was committed when such positivity goes unrewarded in sport. Fair play to Exeter, no shortage of commitment, deserved I would say.
He does throw his fair share of miracle balls (as Jiffy calls them). Did he look is really the question. I doubt he did and Nowell has a bit of a record of doing that so he probably should have done.

With Sexton past it, Anscombe crocked, Ford unable to defend the 10 channel and Farrell pencilled in for the 12 shirt there is a 10 shirt going begging on the next Lions tour. Finn didn't do himself any favours. Gatland will look at that and then look at Biggar.

Exeter have to decide what to do next. Do they carry on as they are or try for a more expansive game? They are very effective but you wouldn't call them easy on the eye.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Must admit I would have been happy had either side won. Racing have a few Munster lads in their ranks and have paid their dues over the years. However, Exeter seem a current version of old Munster, dogged, more or less community-based and animated by the same never-quit attitude and ambition. More backstreet than catwalk. The values that make it, still, IMO the best game in the world. Well done Exeter.

Finn Russell cost Racing the game. Two or three gambles that backfired, two or three forced errors. The difference between a great 10 and a very good 10 is composure and knowing how to read the odds accurately. Russell cannot do that, sad but true. And how Gatland would love to be able to call on Virimi Vakatawa. What a player. And surely Simon Zebo must be at least in Gatland's thoughts after his display yesterday?

Now, if Munster's injury disasters would only pass ....

Paul White

Reaction score
A great win by a great team with commitment to each other, coached by a "yeoman of England", and overseen by a real chairman.......Money takes a back seat as far as they are concerned which is a real breath of fresh air in sport today. Exeter are out on a limb geographically but boy do they make up for that with community spirit and humility. We could all learn a lot from them!!

ozzyian

Reaction score
He does throw his fair share of miracle balls (as Jiffy calls them). Did he look is really the question. I doubt he did and Nowell has a bit of a record of doing that so he probably should have done.

With Sexton past it, Anscombe crocked, Ford unable to defend the 10 channel and Farrell pencilled in for the 12 shirt there is a 10 shirt going begging on the next Lions tour. Finn didn't do himself any favours. Gatland will look at that and then look at Biggar.

Exeter have to decide what to do next. Do they carry on as they are or try for a more expansive game? They are very effective but you wouldn't call them easy on the eye.

In fairness you don't often see him looking at anything much - but that also goes for the triple cut out right into the bread basket stuff as well :) It used to be the case that when a miracle ball went wrong it was invariably the receiver not awake to the possibility but at Racing that doesn't happen so much - you need to be wide awake on those salaries! Which made that one yesterday a bit strange looking.

Some will remember (correctly perhaps) that error defining the game but on balance I'd say his overall contribution was in the black or break even at worst. Not a great game by his standards but most (P Feul pipe up if you like) recognise him in France as the first guy on the teamsheet and the architect of some heroic Racing performances..

This isn't a Lions thread (I'm sure we'll get to that!) but Finns ill discipline last year with Gregor will also play a big part in the selection decision as will Gatlands determination to continue the Lions dull mediocrity under his direction. Anyway, theres a bit of rugby between now and then.

Last edited: