Ettrick & Yarrow Beats.

Reaction score
Just out of interest, does anyone know if there are any other beats on these rivers other than Sunderland Hall, Lindean, Selkirk District AA Beats 1-3 and Buccleuch Beats 1-5? Does the Buccleuch water exhaust the upper rivers of the Ettrick and Yarrow or are there some private beats in amongst it?

Incidentally, I went for a walk along the 'Salmon Leap Walk' at Philiphaugh Cauld with my dad last weekend. I know we're not allowed to fish it as it's below a cauld, but the run off from the cauld pool on SDAA is some of the nicest fly water I've seen at such low levels. If you were allowed to fish that in October, it'd be amazing.

Cheers.

Last edited:

SOLWAYSALMO

Reaction score
Just out of interest, does anyone know if there are any other beats on these rivers other than Sunderland Hall, Lindean, Selkirk District AA Beats 1-3 and Buccleuch Beats 1-5? Does the Buccleuch water exhaust the upper rivers of the Ettrick and Yarrow or are there some private beats in amongst it?

Incidentally, I went for a walk along the 'Salmon Leap Walk' at Philiphaugh Cauld with my dad last weekend. I know we're not allowed to fish it as it's below a cauld, but the run off from the cauld pool on SDAA is some of the nicest fly water I've seen at such low levels. If you were allowed to fish that in October, it'd be amazing.

Cheers.

The Yarrow Is A Lovely Wee Stream Ive Stopped a Few Times For A While On Way To Selkirk Working Used To Have my Lunch Watching The Burn Or Further Down At ST Marys Loch Lovely Park Of The Land Up There And Theres Nowt For Miles :cool:

Elibank

Reaction score
The Yarrow Is A Lovely Wee Stream Ive Stopped a Few Times For A While On Way To Selkirk Working Used To Have my Lunch Watching The Burn Or Further Down At ST Marys Loch Lovely Park Of The Land Up There And Theres Nowt For Miles :cool:

Read Bill Currie's book "Days and Nights of Game Fishing" - I think the relevant chapter is "The Dowie Dens of Yarrow".

mammoth69

Reaction score
mick just rents it of Sir Michael Strang Steel who owns phillipaugh. it's not worth fishing until late october / nov and by then all the fish are coloured kippers.

Bann Special

Reaction score
One of my great childhood memories is my father catching a 9lb salmon from a pool a few hundred yards below Yarrow church in July 1982 when we were fishing for escaped rainbow trout on a summer family holiday.

Given the spring run of the Ettrict there must be a few in the Yarrrow before Oct.

I think the permit came from Bowhill estate but now I am in the dregs of my memory!

Reaction score
I'd heard that the early Spring fish that keep going past the Meetings Pool will go up the Yarrow to St Mary's Loch and sometimes come back down, so there must be springers (although I'm sure people keep quiet!).

Thanks for the above.

AlanT

Reaction score
I've fished the Yarrow for 30 years for trout, early to mid-season, and in all that time I've never seen a single salmon. I have seen them later in the season from Sept onwards but very few. I’m not sure how many spring fish will realistically travel the Yarrow early season.

I have seen the odd fish in the Ettrick in the same period, but nothing in both systems that would merit any kind of fishing effort.

I think the numbers through the ladder have averaged around 125 fish per month from March till July over the last ten years or so, and then averaged 1400 per month Aug to November.

Considering that 95% of all the Tweed spring fish stock run the Ettrick to spawn, then there’s either very few Tweed spring fish overall, or they are all running as red fish in the autumn.

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
I've fished the Yarrow for 30 years for trout, early to mid-season, and in all that time I've never seen a single salmon. I have seen them later in the season from Sept onwards but very few. I’m not sure how many spring fish will realistically travel the Yarrow early season.

I have seen the odd fish in the Ettrick in the same period, but nothing in both systems that would merit any kind of fishing effort.

I think the numbers through the ladder have averaged around 125 fish per month from March till July over the last ten years or so, and then averaged 1400 per month Aug to November.

Considering that 95% of all the Tweed spring fish stock run the Ettrick to spawn, then there’s either very few Tweed spring fish overall, or they are all running as red fish in the autumn.

Or it's a myth!

marty31

Reaction score
I've fished the Yarrow for 30 years for trout, early to mid-season, and in all that time I've never seen a single salmon.

I think overall there is plenty spring fish run the tweed, but not surprising that you in 30 years of trout fishing in early-mid season haven't seen a salmon, the yarrow is a spawning stream and the spring salmon that spawn in it, will lie in the main river holding pools, till early autumn spates encourage them to move up, as you say "running as red fish in the autumn"

Reaction score
The numbers of fish through the counter in April, May and June on the Ettrick are really not far off that of the Whiteadder, which is considered a Spring(ish) river. Granted, 2000 fish each month from Sept to mid-Nov means in context the run looks negligible, but if you pick your moments or are local then it'd be worth it. There were fish up the top of the Ettrick in June last year and I lost one in July. I heard of a February fish off the Ettrick last year also. Not the best fishing in the world, obviously, but not non existent either.