Estimated weight

luney

Reaction score
Very difficult to accurately guess the size from a single photo. I would have said around 14, but, she is holding it away from her body when you look at the size of her hands in comparison to the rest of her.
Photos can be deceiving; I have attached a photo of a fish I got a couple of weeks ago that was easily 18 but only looks about 10 in the photo. The photo was taken from slightly above me and I was holding the fish under my body as I leaned forward.View attachment 66233
9lb all day long

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hardly matters as it’s a very Bonny fish in any case. My first instinct was 12-14lb, which is quite a lump on some small rivers.
Fish over ten pound look big to a novice and they are big. My thoughts on never trying to over estimate my fish was to remember how a bag of sugar weighs two pound, which enabled me to keep my feet on the ground when trying to est as a two pound bag of sugar is bloody heavy lol.

Can’t help thinking that river looks like the river Otter in Devon.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Great picture, 12/13lb, decent depth and lenght, big tail.
Yeah I thought the same. Not all coloured fish look as splendid as this one. Immaculate, large spotted tail, as you say it’s depth and length whilst still looking solid, nice looking Kype n all, points to a fish that should see some action on the redds in a month or two.
My first ever Salmon on the Ogwen was caught on a rapala in similar looking low conditions in its tartan colour and that memory will stay with her forever as it did me.
Only downside if you can call it that? Is the realisation that one doesn’t catch these fish on every visit or even every year lol.