Enough is Enough

Scierra

Reaction score
Having read Bob Whites column in Trout and Salmon magazine ,about close seasons need reviewing because of no Autumn runs, he states maybe the Tay season needs closing down at the end of September ?
Leaves a lot to be desired of rivers still open season until the end of November ? dragging some large gravid salmon out of the river , hang your heads in shame anglers still fishing in November , when at best these gravid fish should be left in peace to spawn, the reason why they are there in the first place,
You can catch gravid fish on any salmonriver in November, but why ?
Enough is enough

chriswjx

Reaction score
Let alone gravid salmon in November, there's a fair number that are already spawned out. When I had my first casting lesson this time last year (might have been a year and a week before actually) as we were walking down the banking on the Haystoun beat and could see 2 actively spawning redds, several already spawned and even a dead one lying in the middle of the river. Makes no sense at all to be targeting fish like that...

DeveronNumpty

Reaction score
Having read Bob Whites column in Trout and Salmon magazine ,about close seasons need reviewing because of no Autumn runs, he states maybe the Tay season needs closing down at the end of September ?
Leaves a lot to be desired of rivers still open season until the end of November ? dragging some large gravid salmon out of the river , hang your heads in shame anglers still fishing in November , when at best these gravid fish should be left in peace to spawn, the reason why they are there in the first place,
You can catch gravid fish on any salmonriver in November, but why ?
Enough is enough
Not having fished the Tweed myself i know other anglers who have caught spawned fish in early November from upper Tweed beats. Unfortunately ladies and gents rivers are still fishing on past glories, having said that upper beats on all major rivers rely on heavy summer rainfall to enable fish to penetrate the upper beats in numbers. It is unfortunately for the King of fish that economics drive these practices and probably will in the future.

Scierra

Reaction score
Not having fished the Tweed myself i know other anglers who have caught spawned fish in early November from upper Tweed beats. Unfortunately ladies and gents rivers are still fishing on past glories, having said that upper beats on all major rivers rely on heavy summer rainfall to enable fish to penetrate the upper beats in numbers. It is unfortunately for the King of fish that economics drive these practices and probably will in the future.
The upper River Dee closes down 2 weeks before the lower river in OCTOBER . why ? consevation of spawning stock ?

I'm not into shooting, but shooting season for breeding birds is closed not when the birds are on the nest,but maybe a couple of weeks prior to laying their eggs ? surely salmon need the same protection ?

Seemingly some rivers allow to catch salmon after redding as quoted by Deveron above, spawned fish ,Kelts , surely these spawned fish are at their most vunerable after spawning , many will die without being hauled out on the riverbank, leave them in peace.

Salmon have evaded febs , preditors etc on their downward migration to the sea, avoided preditors at sea to the feeding grounds, made the perilous migration back to the river of their birth avoiding seals,nets febs etc ,all the way to the redds be it in the upper or lower reaches, and when they are about to spawn they are hounded by the kipper bashing rods .
Time for change , sooner the better as Bob White has quoted.

goosander

Reaction score
?

I'm not into shooting, but shooting season for breeding birds is closed not when the birds are on the nest,but maybe a couple of weeks prior to laying their eggs ? surely salmon need the same protection ?

Salmon have evaded febs , preditors etc on their downward migration to the sea, avoided preditors at sea to the feeding grounds, made the perilous migration back to the river of their birth avoiding seals,nets febs etc ,all the way to the redds be it in the upper or lower reaches, and when they are about to spawn they are hounded by the kipper bashing rods .
Time for change , sooner the better as Bob White has quoted.
Need to stop fishing soon.
Pheasant shooting stops on the first of February And the young most time hatch out in early June.
Bob.