Eden 2021

Karl-K

Reaction score
I’ve joined Carlisle Anglers this year, I’ve had a look at the maps on the website, but not knowing Carlisle that well, the parking locations look a bit vague, is there anyone on here that could share information on where to park for any of the beats, cheers

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
I’ve joined Carlisle Anglers this year, I’ve had a look at the maps on the website, but not knowing Carlisle that well, the parking locations look a bit vague, is there anyone on here that could share information on where to park for any of the beats, cheers
Karl

I'm not a member of CAA at present, but i know the water well, car parks are located;

To fish the Kerbs and Opposite bank Long Pool, turn off Directly after Toby Carvery before Tesco, small locked gated carpark.
StoneyHolme golf course large public car park for Garden Wall, Rickerby Rocks etc.
Sheepmount Athletics stadium, Caldew Foot, Giants Grave etc
Willow Holme Industrial estate, drive right to the old power station, good for NB Bridge, Bone Mill etc
New Bypass on A595, drive over the river, parking on the verge-layby, good for the Fence end, walk to Kirkpot half a mile.

Hope this helps.

Karl-K

Reaction score
Karl

I'm not a member of CAA at present, but i know the water well, car parks are located;

To fish the Kerbs and Opposite bank Long Pool, turn off Directly after Toby Carvery before Tesco, small locked gated carpark.
StoneyHolme golf course large public car park for Garden Wall, Rickerby Rocks etc.
Sheepmount Athletics stadium, Caldew Foot, Giants Grave etc
Willow Holme Industrial estate, drive right to the old power station, good for NB Bridge, Bone Mill etc
New Bypass on A595, drive over the river, parking on the verge-layby, good for the Fence end, walk to Kirkpot half a mile.

Hope this helps.
Martin,

that’s brilliant, many thanks for the info, greatly appreciated👍

crewesader

Reaction score
Having never fished the Eden and never looked at it's path can anyone tell me if I am on the Lune at Tebay is there ever a scenario that a trip over Orton scar to Appleby worth the effort and if so what time of year and what's the situation on access, thanks in advance.

Warwick I

Reaction score
I don't think there is that many Salmon run up to Appleby the bulk of the Salmon run turns right to run up the Eamont towards the Ullswater area.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Having never fished the Eden and never looked at it's path can anyone tell me if I am on the Lune at Tebay is there ever a scenario that a trip over Orton scar to Appleby worth the effort and if so what time of year and what's the situation on access, thanks in advance.
Not really unless you fancy a bit of trout fishing.
I live in Appleby
I don't think there is that many Salmon run up to Appleby the bulk of the Salmon run turns right to run up the Eamont towards the Ullswater area.
They get to Appleby but mostly after the season is done
For some reason they seem to hang around the middle reaches and run at the last minute.

crewesader

Reaction score
Often looked over the bridge in Appleby and seen some lovely Brownies. Oh well thanks for the reply.
Not really unless you fancy a bit of trout fishing.
I live in Appleby

They get to Appleby but mostly after the season is done
For some reason they seem to hang around the middle reaches and run at the last minute.

laird of aros

Reaction score
The salmon tend to reach Kirkby Stephen mid November. I have caught very mended kelts early in the season up there.

Karl-K

Reaction score
I've just got a last minute pass from the boss:), to go to the caravan for the weekend, so pack the car after work, zoom up the M6 and will be on the Eden all tomorrow and early sunday morning before back down the M6, hopefully salmo will have read the script, but to date nothing has come off the beat I'm fishing tomorrow - but someone has to get the first:), I might even have an afternoon snooze and fish on in to the evening and see if there are any sea trout about, I've never fished the Eden for sea trout so that could be a first.

Karl-K

Reaction score
Well that didn’t go to plan😭, got to the caravan late Friday, to find that a section of the inflatable awning had burst, so Saturday morning was spent taking that section out and rejigging the other 2 sections to get something useable. Got to the river about 3.30 full of optimism, fished the pool down a couple of times, but it was eerily quiet (except for the bloody wind), not even any brownies were showing. Decided to sit, watch and have a coffee. Fully refreshed I started walking up to the top of the pool, but my right boot was loose and getting looser each step, I thought I mustn’t have clicked the boa system in place, but alas as I went to tighten it, the wire had snapped, I tried a few more casts, but having previously broken that ankle on a fishing trip, I didn’t feel right/secure. With no spare boots in the car, I decided to call it a day and headed back down the M6, at least I had Sunday to work on my fishing/fly tying room/man cave, it’s nearly there just wall mount the TV, a shelf and a bit of worktop and it’s done😂😂

Stoater

Reaction score
Well that didn’t go to plan😭, got to the caravan late Friday, to find that a section of the inflatable awning had burst, so Saturday morning was spent taking that section out and rejigging the other 2 sections to get something useable. Got to the river about 3.30 full of optimism, fished the pool down a couple of times, but it was eerily quiet (except for the bloody wind), not even any brownies were showing. Decided to sit, watch and have a coffee. Fully refreshed I started walking up to the top of the pool, but my right boot was loose and getting looser each step, I thought I mustn’t have clicked the boa system in place, but alas as I went to tighten it, the wire had snapped, I tried a few more casts, but having previously broken that ankle on a fishing trip, I didn’t feel right/secure. With no spare boots in the car, I decided to call it a day and headed back down the M6, at least I had Sunday to work on my fishing/fly tying room/man cave, it’s nearly there just wall mount the TV, a shelf and a bit of worktop and it’s done😂😂
Karl, don't worry you won't have missed much. There's not a lot happening just now, that I'm aware of anyway. The smallish floods in May saw a good few run quickly upriver. I just went to watch a good shallow section of the tidal river, in the hour before the tide pushed in. It wasn't a yucky big tide and the low river level and dusk approaching meant conditions were ideal for seeing fish. I saw a few herling, but no salmon or decent sea trout. June and July were good again last year, especially for the 2sw fish, maybe the cold late Spring is delaying the fish.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Has anyone fished the Lazonby council fishing’s stretch on here?

I know most would think of the Private Lazonby estate fishing’s but for 15 bats and permits available from the swimming pool, caravan site and with a mile of fishing, one would think there would be some opportunities to catch salmon and those big Eden brownies?

Karl-K

Reaction score
Karl, don't worry you won't have missed much. There's not a lot happening just now, that I'm aware of anyway. The smallish floods in May saw a good few run quickly upriver. I just went to watch a good shallow section of the tidal river, in the hour before the tide pushed in. It wasn't a yucky big tide and the low river level and dusk approaching meant conditions were ideal for seeing fish. I saw a few herling, but no salmon or decent sea trout. June and July were good again last year, especially for the 2sw fish, maybe the cold late Spring is delaying the fish.
Yep its strangely quiet, as you say I'm also hoping things are a month or so behind with the cold spring, as ever us salmon fisherman are the eternal optimists, lets see what the next month brings, for me its a spare pare of wading boots till the boa laces arrive:ROFLMAO:

Karl-K

Reaction score
Free of charge lace replacements have just arrived from Boa, so no need for replacement boots😂😂👍👍

GILLIELAD

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
has anyone been on the river recently, is the river fishable.
Thanks in advance.

Stoater

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
has anyone been on the river recently, is the river fishable.
Thanks in advance.
The river is certainly fishable, although last week's rise of 3 or 4 inches was the only extra water for over a month. The water is also clearer and cooler than it can be at this time of year. Last week there were a good amount of fish appearing at the bottom end of the river, but the small rise in levels combined with big spring tides seems to have moved them. These fish could well have moved downriver, but I know that a few have crept upstream too into the CAA waters. Park Broom (not far upstream from the M6 road bridge) seems about as far as they are likely to travel. This is frustrating for the usually productive beats a little further up, where angling effort has all but dried up. It also exposes the stocks of our prime 2sw salmon to the threat of seal and porpoise predation around the rivermouth. Going by the increasing amount of fish carrying claw marks and similar damage, these animals seem to be increasing in number in the Solway. Not long ago, it seemed rare to catch a salmon with these wounds.

GILLIELAD

Reaction score
The river is certainly fishable, although last week's rise of 3 or 4 inches was the only extra water for over a month. The water is also clearer and cooler than it can be at this time of year. Last week there were a good amount of fish appearing at the bottom end of the river, but the small rise in levels combined with big spring tides seems to have moved them. These fish could well have moved downriver, but I know that a few have crept upstream too into the CAA waters. Park Broom (not far upstream from the M6 road bridge) seems about as far as they are likely to travel. This is frustrating for the usually productive beats a little further up, where angling effort has all but dried up. It also exposes the stocks of our prime 2sw salmon to the threat of seal and porpoise predation around the rivermouth. Going by the increasing amount of fish carrying claw marks and similar damage, these animals seem to be increasing in number in the Solway. Not long ago, it seemed rare to catch a salmon with these wounds.
Hello Stoater, thanks for the message, got a bit of traveling so you info helps a lot.
Fingers crossed 🤞
Tight lines