Eden 2021

Andrew B

Reaction score
This point has been a bit of a pet gripe of mine for a long time.
A couple of examples and then I'll give a theory as to why I think there are few salmon reported above Eden Lacy🤔

As a kid in the seventies myself and friends pulled plenty of salmon infected with udn out of the the Eden from July onwards... At Appleby.

There were a couple of pollution incidents in the late eighties and early nineties. They were in July and August if memory serves correctly.
On the first occasion a fresh 17lb salmon was discovered suffocating in the pool immediately below the bridge in appleby. I walked four miles of the river that day and the amount of dead salmon was staggering.
The second pollution incident happened at Warcop which is about five miles upstream of Appleby and again the amount of salmon lay dead was an eye opener.
As a last example, a now deceased pal landed a 7lb salmon on May 15th at Bolton. He was using a #5 rod and 3lb nylon fishing size 14 & 16 spiders at the time. Lucky for him, the fish leapt almost instantly and he realised what he had hooked and played it accordingly.

Now to my thoughts on why few salmon are caught in the upper middle Eden...
Number one, nobody actually fishes for them.
Number two, when one does get hooked it is on very light tackle and just breaks off without being seen and is just put down as a big trout or a failed knot.
I’ve heard the flesh of those Eden trout is pretty rancid n all? I spoke to a guy a few years ago(non angler) who spoke of seeing Salmon enter Ullswater in May.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
I’ve heard the flesh of those Eden trout is pretty rancid n all? I spoke to a guy a few years ago(non angler) who spoke of seeing Salmon enter Ullswater in May.
The native fish were fine but after two fish kills it was heavily stocked until recently. The stockies weren't great

Gralaks

Reaction score
There wont be much info given out on this thread. Over the seasons it's always been very quiet. It's a shame but it feels like its "every man to himself" on the Eden. There must be some fantastic stories out there but hey ho. Just saying.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Looking back through the old River Eden threads, it appears that Armathwaite and Lazonby usually get their first fish in early April.
Can anyone confirm this observation or have any thoughts?

madcaster

Reaction score
Looking back through the old River Eden threads, it appears that Armathwaite and Lazonby usually get their first fish in early April.
100% although I've had fish in March and a bit later at Lazonby, If we got more anglers out earlier I'm pretty sure this would change but its the same on lots of rivers, you would be surprised how many anglers don't bother till April, reason being is its a bit warmer and there is more of a chance of a fish in April:unsure:

Andrew B

Reaction score
You know I always looked forward to reading about Lazonby in the T&S reports but they never seem to mention it now?
But you’re right as I always remember the reports mentioning April for Lazonby. It one place I’d love to fish on the Eden more so than Carlisle where I’ve fished and caught Kelts in March. In those same reports I remember one guy who only fished for the sea trout at Lazonby from around May onwards and he did pretty well, albeit I don’t remember any big sea trout being caught?

madcaster

Reaction score
Nice day fishing today no fresh fish but after that big flood its coming down nicely.
Could do with some new toes it was a bit chilly in the river all day.
1 well mended kelt for my efforts and he went on his way.😊

MC

Andrew B

Reaction score
Nice day fishing today no fresh fish but after that big flood its coming down nicely.
Could do with some new toes it was a bit chilly in the river all day.
1 well mended kelt for my efforts and he went on his way.😊

MC
It’s been really cold today lol. Not a bad days fishing imo

JS

Reaction score
Looking at doing some spring fishing on the Eden after lockdown, have people got recommendations on the bet places to fish. Only ever fished the eden at Eden Lacy and usually fish the derwent in the summer but as Scotland springers look out the question I was hoping people could advise on the best place to go on the eden and when

lax0341

Reaction score
There‘s some rumour that the Eden had a really good run of fish last year. Could you confirm this ?

Martin the fisher

Reaction score
There‘s some rumour that the Eden had a really good run of fish last year. Could you confirm this ?
The beats around the motorway bridge at Carlisle had a fantastic season last year, I know of several anglers who had a very good season, I'm talking serious numbers here !

The lads who caught are all good fishers, dedicated, and extremely conservation minded, they deserve last seasons reward for all their efforts.

The lower tidal beats didn't have a bonanza, Warwick Hall did well, Armathwaite did OK, the fish seemed to arrive late May and just "parked up" above Carlisle.

Other Solway rivers also experienced the same improved runs too !

lax0341

Reaction score
The beats around the motorway bridge at Carlisle had a fantastic season last year, I know of several anglers who had a very good season, I'm talking serious numbers here !

The lads who caught are all good fishers, dedicated, and extremely conservation minded, they deserve last seasons reward for all their efforts.

The lower tidal beats didn't have a bonanza, Warwick Hall did well, Armathwaite did OK, the fish seemed to arrive late May and just "parked up" above Carlisle.

Other Solway rivers also experienced the same improved runs too !
That are really encouraging news !(y)

razzer

Reaction score
the fish seemed to arrive late May and just "parked up" above Carlisle.
Considering the amount of water from mid june onwards giving excellent running conditions, the fish where in no hurry to move to far upstream . Just goes to show the fish will move on when there good and ready.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Considering the amount of water from mid june onwards giving excellent running conditions, the fish where in no hurry to move to far upstream . Just goes to show the fish will move on when there good and ready.
I’m no expert on the Eden and have only fished it twice on the Carlisle anglers in March for two Kelts to my rod? But from what I gather the Edens Salmon not unlike those on the Tweed, seem to do everything in their own sweet time.

It’s no secret that the Eden has been the form horse for a few years now but I don’t know if someone more experienced could answer this about those early Feb/March springers and the best places to try?

So going back fifteen years ago when I fished in March I was led to believe that Warwick Hall waters were often the first to get off the mark and that these early fish often ran straight through Carlisle? Like I said not being local I could only repeat what I’d been told but what’s surprised me the past few years is how many of these early fish are coming off Carlisle waters ( please correct if I’m wrong)?
A local ace classic fly tyer called Dave Carne always looked forward to May on Carlisle and picked up fish in twos and threes as they were running.
Eden Lacy must be woefully underfished to have such low catch stats. Perhaps the real gem and one beat I’d love to fish is the Lazonby stretch which was always reported as kicking off in April.
Such great value fishing on a river that can provide days to rival any of the big Scottish four imo.

razzer

Reaction score
I know Dave and he is still on this forum as far as i know.
Low water in the spring and beats below Wetheral fish best. May, june, july tend to be best months these days as the back end runs like on most rivers have all but disappeared. To much water and yeah fish usually move thru us at carlisle pretty quick early season, the lower the better for us until the water heats up early summer.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I know Dave and he is still on this forum as far as i know.
Low water in the spring and beats below Wetheral fish best. May, june, july tend to be best months these days as the back end runs like on most rivers have all but disappeared. To much water and yeah fish usually move thru us at carlisle pretty quick early season, the lower the better for us until the water heats up early summer.
Is he now? Interesting character is Dave Carne. Loves his Northern Soul and he was very kind to me as a budding young fly tyer learning to tie classic flies. I was the owner of one of the finds of the century for vintage fly tying fanatics in that I came across George. M. Kelsons own personal fly tying boxes, equipment and of course the super rare materials. Obviously Dave was one of the first to come down to see it all but I look back on it with so much regrets as the loss of my sister just sent me off the rails of which I’m only just getting back on track.

Dave by his own admission wasn’t a great angler back then but I’ll never forget him taking three stunning 15lb fish in May above the park and all from the same spot within half n hour.
It’s that type of fishing that just shows the potential of the Eden in Spring when big numbers of fish are coming in off each tide?

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Just looked at the historical catches for Warwick Hall.

Look at the catches from January to May in the 50s and 60s (and low number caught in the autumn).

Then low numbers of salmon in the 70s and the emergence of strong autumn catches in the 80s and 90s.

A great illustration of the changes that occur in run timings.

Interesting reading, thanks for posting. Wow I'd loved to have fished early spring in 50's!

Scierra

Reaction score
Just looked at the historical catches for Warwick Hall.

Look at the catches from January to May in the 50s and 60s (and low number caught in the autumn).

Then low numbers of salmon in the 70s and the emergence of strong autumn catches in the 80s and 90s.

A great illustration of the changes that occur in run timings.

Maybe the trend is slowly reverting back to a main Spring run and on other rivers too ?
There were some large salmon grassed on the Eden way back then .

SteveG

Reaction score
I fished it until shortly after Nick took over.
There was an elderly gentleman in the village who had a syndicate rod.
He was well into his eighties and would only fish if conditions were absolutely perfect and never at night.
The upshot of that was that he would let family and friends fish his rod for the salmon
Since none of them were interested in seatrout I was allowed to fish every Tuesday night as long as I gave him a seatrout if requested 👍
I'll never forget the very first time I went. I'd never even seen a seatrout nevermind fished for them.
Ten minutes in and I was into the first one and suddenly realised that I was in trouble lol
Water lapping the top of my chest waders in the tail of Irvine foot and a silver nutcase on the other end.
What seemed like an hour later I had a 4lb 2oz bar of silver on the bank.
I was shaking like a leaf and had to have a coffee to calm down.
I finally went back in and two casts later and I was in again, this time 3lb 14oz.
My nerves were shot by this point and I packed up and went home.
It was an eye opener for someone who was used to catching brownies upto around a pound and a half lol
Been hooked ever since and have rarely fished for anything else from late April til the end of August since then.
Sounds like a great introduction to night fishing for sea trout. There just something about fishing a dark pool and feeling the weight of a good fish taking the fly 👍

razzer

Reaction score
I watched some old film footage from hardy a few years ago with them spring fishing around Wetheral on the eden in the 50's, there was some cracking early spring fish about in jan/feb/and march in those days.
Apparently the eden even back then had a healthy autumn run as well as a great spring run, but the anglers back then never bothred so much with the autumn fishing as they classed the fish inferior to there spring run cousins. Could be a certain amount of truth in that because youl notice the autumn catches sharp went up after the rapid demise of the spring fishing after the UDN outbreak in the 60's.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Think that was the case on a lot of rivers with a strong spring run, many beats on the Dee were not fished after June/July in the "old days".