Eden 2021

madcaster

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have attend a job very local to the Eden today where why wouldn't you have a cast on opening day.
2 well mended seatrout and a kelt that came off.
Big water dropping and a touch nippy.

MADCASTER

Attachments

• 20210115_080513.jpg
    20210115_080513.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 219

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Only ever fished it once, I always preferred from crow wood down ๐Ÿ‘
That was for seatrout at night though, not salmon

Andrew B

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have attend a job very local to the Eden today where why wouldn't you have a cast on opening day.
2 well mended seatrout and a kelt that came off.
Big water dropping and a touch nippy.

MADCASTER
Why not indeed. Not a bad start at all.

madcaster

Reaction score
I've caught Seatrout there whilst Salmon fishing but never targeted them on the Eden.
Wouldn't be too hard to find and target I would of thought.

MC

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Having fished the Eden between Appleby and Temple Sowerby for 45 years, including an awful lot of night time bustard fishing, I never caught a seatrout.
Had countless seatrout from Warwick Hall and the PAAS water above whetheral but they seem to disappear somewhere Lazonby and Temple Sowerby ๐Ÿค”

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
If anyone fishing above Lazonby can shed any light I'd be very interested and grateful for your thoughts. ๐Ÿ‘

madcaster

Reaction score
I will speak to some of my friends who are seatrout nuts.
Wish I could answer ๐Ÿค”
Not a 1 in 45 years there's been 7 US presidents fair play ๐Ÿ˜Š

You dont tell the Mrs your off seatrouting do you ๐Ÿง

MC

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Fish the Wear now but for many years I fished the Lune which was only a 20 minute drive ๐Ÿ‘
I had a friend who owned a beat of the Eden at culgaith and he always said there would be a shoal of big seatrout in one of his pools by mid July. I always thought it was probably a shoal of large chub but never made the effort to see for myself

Also, the website of the Black Swan at Culgaith claims seatrout are present from June onwards in the same vicinity.

madcaster

Reaction score
Don't know if any of the syndicate rods at Warwick do any night fishing.
I will ask Nick on Tuesday.

MC

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
I fished it until shortly after Nick took over.
There was an elderly gentleman in the village who had a syndicate rod.
He was well into his eighties and would only fish if conditions were absolutely perfect and never at night.
The upshot of that was that he would let family and friends fish his rod for the salmon
Since none of them were interested in seatrout I was allowed to fish every Tuesday night as long as I gave him a seatrout if requested ๐Ÿ‘
I'll never forget the very first time I went. I'd never even seen a seatrout nevermind fished for them.
Ten minutes in and I was into the first one and suddenly realised that I was in trouble lol
Water lapping the top of my chest waders in the tail of Irvine foot and a silver nutcase on the other end.
What seemed like an hour later I had a 4lb 2oz bar of silver on the bank.
I was shaking like a leaf and had to have a coffee to calm down.
I finally went back in and two casts later and I was in again, this time 3lb 14oz.
My nerves were shot by this point and I packed up and went home.
It was an eye opener for someone who was used to catching brownies upto around a pound and a half lol
Been hooked ever since and have rarely fished for anything else from late April til the end of August since then.

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
A long time ago, back at the beginning of the 1970โ€™s, I was fortunate to be able to learn trout fishing in all its forms on the rivers of the Eden system, particularly the River Lowther. In a truly huge August flood herling, young sea trout would run the river in huge numbers, the locals called them โ€˜Sprodsโ€™ and many could be caught on a worm right under the rod tip at the edge of the swollen river, in really good numbers. Exciting times for a 12 year old!
Thatโ€™s a long way up the system, but I have no idea whether that would still be the case today, but I seem to remember hearing somewhere that those days are gone now.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Iโ€™ve always thought the Eden was a bit of a strange river even with the salmon? Thereโ€™s nothing to mind holding em back for such a long river and yet you never hear of much past Eden Lacy, albeit Iโ€™m not local.

Stoatstail1967

Reaction score
Iโ€™ve always thought the Eden was a bit of a strange river even with the salmon? Thereโ€™s nothing to mind holding em back for such a long river and yet you never hear of much past Eden Lacy, albeit Iโ€™m not local.
This point has been a bit of a pet gripe of mine for a long time.
A couple of examples and then I'll give a theory as to why I think there are few salmon reported above Eden Lacy๐Ÿค”

As a kid in the seventies myself and friends pulled plenty of salmon infected with udn out of the the Eden from July onwards... At Appleby.

There were a couple of pollution incidents in the late eighties and early nineties. They were in July and August if memory serves correctly.
On the first occasion a fresh 17lb salmon was discovered suffocating in the pool immediately below the bridge in appleby. I walked four miles of the river that day and the amount of dead salmon was staggering.
The second pollution incident happened at Warcop which is about five miles upstream of Appleby and again the amount of salmon lay dead was an eye opener.
As a last example, a now deceased pal landed a 7lb salmon on May 15th at Bolton. He was using a #5 rod and 3lb nylon fishing size 14 & 16 spiders at the time. Lucky for him, the fish leapt almost instantly and he realised what he had hooked and played it accordingly.

Now to my thoughts on why few salmon are caught in the upper middle Eden...
Number one, nobody actually fishes for them.
Number two, when one does get hooked it is on very light tackle and just breaks off without being seen and is just put down as a big trout or a failed knot.

Maggy

Reaction score
This point has been a bit of a pet gripe of mine for a long time.
A couple of examples and then I'll give a theory as to why I think there are few salmon reported above Eden Lacy๐Ÿค”

As a kid in the seventies myself and friends pulled plenty of salmon infected with udn out of the the Eden from July onwards... At Appleby.

There were a couple of pollution incidents in the late eighties and early nineties. They were in July and August if memory serves correctly.
On the first occasion a fresh 17lb salmon was discovered suffocating in the pool immediately below the bridge in appleby. I walked four miles of the river that day and the amount of dead salmon was staggering.
The second pollution incident happened at Warcop which is about five miles upstream of Appleby and again the amount of salmon lay dead was an eye opener.
As a last example, a now deceased pal landed a 7lb salmon on May 15th at Bolton. He was using a #5 rod and 3lb nylon fishing size 14 & 16 spiders at the time. Lucky for him, the fish leapt almost instantly and he realised what he had hooked and played it accordingly.

Now to my thoughts on why few salmon are caught in the upper middle Eden...
Number one, nobody actually fishes for them.
Number two, when one does get hooked it is on very light tackle and just breaks off without being seen and is just put down as a big trout or a failed knot.
Thanks for that Warcop reference.

Disappearing sea-trout: have you many tributaries below your problem area capable of taking spawners ?