Ed Ward casting a Micro Skagit.

smokie999

Reaction score

Thoughts? Could any of you find a use for this setup?
I use a very similar set up which is a 9'6" partridge #7 single hander with the extension butt fitted .I cut down an old spey line and made a shooting head from it .I use the setup on my local stocked res for the trout .When the res is full over head back casts can be a problem because of the trees and bushes this set up solves the problem and casts out great.gets me into the spots the others will not be able to cast in

bob

donfisher123

Reaction score
hmm

I presume he is fishing for trout with that set up and in that crystal clear water surely he would be spooking any fish anywhere near him casting like that ?:confused:

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
I presume he is fishing for trout with that set up and in that crystal clear water surely he would be spooking any fish anywhere near him casting like that ?:confused:

My own thoughts entirely, looks nice but a single spey/snake roll might be a better presentation choice, have chopped a head for my present 9ft swff rod which works very well fishing gullies heavy flies with no backcast etc.

Strathglass

Reaction score

Most videos I've seen of him casting he usually looks as rough as a bag of spanners, in comparison this was quite neat and tidy! :p :D

Eminem

Reaction score
He needs a brolly to stop him getting soaked by the spray and white water during each cast.

Micro-skagit......I've heard it all now. :p

(Smolt)

Reaction score
The Jedi!

Tidy casting though, hard to see where this could be applied. I would honestly be slightly frustrated if Ed went down the pool infront of me :eek: but then again it's no different to someone flogging the water with a spinner.

kgm

Reaction score
He needs a brolly to stop him getting soaked by the spray and white water during each cast.

Micro-skagit......I've heard it all now. :p

:D micro fecking skagit, wtf :D ye'd be linched trying that in the North East in Spring - I'd get an otter board out easier:cool: ;)

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm full of admiration for geezers who can cast like this,setting trends while the rest of us follow.However, were I to fish like that on t'Ribble the poor season I've just experienced would have been a lot poorer!.My 6 weight switch outfit barely makes a ripple when its Spey cast!.I'm never so conceited that I think that I can't learn from anyone about anything,so I'm sure there will be a time and a place for a Micro Skagit outfit,but as yet I don't think I could identify that time n place in my fishings.But!,never say never,open mind and all that!.
Happy casting folks,Pedro.

Springer

Reaction score
I'm full of admiration for geezers who can cast like this, setting trends while the rest of us follow.

I see it a little differently Pete.

The problem arises when you pin your particular colours to a single mast so publicly, in this case its skagit, others do it with different rods, lines and/or casting styles. Then everything has to be about the particular style they are selling, Ive even seem EW using an adapted skagit as a full floater set up.

As far as Im concerned that casting isn't anything special, for me its a good example of using the wrong cast and wrong line system in a given situation and using far more effort than is needed to achieve it. Im thinking its like using a 5lb mash hammer to crack a walnut.

People just focus on the loop traveling forward when appraising a cast, there is far more to it than that for me.

Rennie

Reaction score
In essence I agree Alan,I don't think its an all season/conditions round technique and as such flawed,however E.W esq. has pinned his colours to the mast and obviously believes in what he does and has influenced the popularity/developement of the method(I could say the same of other anglers with a variation of flees/tackle/lines of thinking).In all likely hood he's a better angler than me(again as are a lot of other anglers with something to say) and as such I feel I can learn something from him as I would from You,or Granbo,Gawesworth,Gowans,Frodin et al.Forgive me when I say I'd be likely to cherry pick the best bits(it sounds so impersonal and more than a little mercenary) from each to enrich my own fishings,rather than follow slavishly a personal indoctrination,that I feel is simply because I haven't got where I'm going yet,still on the road as it were.
Seasons Greetings,P.

Springer

Reaction score
Cherry picking is the right thing to do Pete without any doubt, there is no single method/style that is superior to others over a full Atlantic salmon fishing season. Far better to incorporate the best of each into your own style that suits the places, times, water levels and temps that you fish.

My point is really that we see so many who decide to pin their colours to a particular mast and then preach to us how better than the rest their method is, surely only a fool or some one with a financial gain in mind would do that?

Neither of which I suffer gladly.

keirstream

Reaction score
:D micro fecking skagit, wtf :D ye'd be linched trying that in the North East in Spring - I'd get an otter board out easier:cool: ;)

It looks like a bomber on the business end, it certainly performs well up to the standards of a 617 squadron Lancaster releasing it's cargo over the Mohne and Edersee dams.:)
I guess all the Yankee blurb about the need for stealth when fishing crystal clear streams for steelhead means little to E.W.
And you're being a wee bit disingenuous about the relative difficulty of operating an otter board. Once it's tuned in perfect balance you wouldn't know it was out there.:cool:

SP8

Reaction score
I would certainly agree that where he is casting in the video I wouldnt be using that cast or even a skagit set up for all the reasons stated above. To give him the benefit of the doubt maybe he was just demonstrating the set-up for the video. I can certainly think of places and conditions where I fish that such a set up would be really useful (I know exactly where Smokie is talking about and he is spot on, it's ideal for there and I could see it being really useful where I fish on the Ure.) I have been thinking of a really short skagit for my Greys 11'6 just for that sort of restricted casting and with a heavier tip/fly.

SP8

smokie999

Reaction score
I would certainly agree that where he is casting in the video I wouldnt be using that cast or even a skagit set up for all the reasons stated above. To give him the benefit of the doubt maybe he was just demonstrating the set-up for the video. I can certainly think of places and conditions where I fish that such a set up would be really useful (I know exactly where Smokie is talking about and he is spot on, it's ideal for there and I could see it being really useful where I fish on the Ure.) I have been thinking of a really short skagit for my Greys 11'6 just for that sort of restricted casting and with a heavier tip/fly.

SP8
Think you saw the set up on the casting day at Innerliethen Pete ,I got it out of the car to show you
bob

(Smolt)

Reaction score
People just focus on the loop traveling forward when appraising a cast, there is far more to it than that for me.

Interesting, so what is going right or wrong with Ed's casting in this sequence/video?

Springer

Reaction score
Interesting, so what is going right or wrong with Ed's casting in this sequence/video?

Cant you see for yourself Liam?

Why don't you have a go at picking out the good and not so good aspects of these casts yourself, let us know what you think and then I will comment later, that way your not just getting the answers on a plate. :)

The option is open to anyone and it could make for an interesting and informative discussion.

Springer

Reaction score
one thing that sticks out to me is ,why use a single handed rod and cast it using both hands :confused:

Because it is more efficient than using one hand Jimmy when you get to the type of cast and distances seen in this clip.