Ebay Madness?

Andrew B

Reaction score
I've seen some items for sale or bid there that are clearly overpriced. Someone mentioned battered old Hardy reels, yep seen those. Honestly I've seen reels offered starting at $125 USD that I wouldn't take home if I saw them at a Thrift Shop for $20 just too abused unless you need the springs and pawls from them.

One reel I can't figure the pricing on is the Hardy Angel. In America that reel did not sell very well at all. Had I known that they would be listed at eBay for the same as retail or higher I could have bought them on Closeout Pricing at 45% off retail.

I've been toying with the idea of trying one but there's no way I'll pay $500 for a discontinued reel......

Was it W.C. Fields who said "There's a sucker born every minute"?

I really love the messaging eBay sends here on the US site, things like "Hurry and Bid Again so you can Win" or "Enter a Higher Max Bid so this doesn't get away........"
Lol me too about the Hardy Angel reels. Absolute madness.
I used to sell a lot of gut eyed flies and had some real beauties and I always got a fair price but I’m sure there’s a whole load of shenanigans going on with vintage fly gear on eBay.
The times I’ve had to tell folk their Hardy Palakona rod isn’t worth what they’re seeing as a buy it now price on eBay🙄

chriswjx

Reaction score
Is that even allowed? Have to say as a seller I did ok but there are always gonna be those who you’re never gonna please.
Re dodgy sellers I’ve learned to spot em and stay clear but I remember my mother who is no duck egg, getting fleeced twice in a row on IPads which fortunately were covered by PayPal.

Maybe it’s the Yorkshire in her looking for a bargain but it’s the old adage “if it looks too good to be true”.
One thing I’ve seen on eBay is someone listing a load of major things from speed boats, cars to caravans and there’s usually a few grand on each and there might be as much as thirty items all listed to end at the exact same time lol.

Anyone who’s sold on EBay knows it takes about ten minutes to list each item, making each lot end at different times.
All those got pulled before ending by eBay but you’d be surprised how many folk who fall for this s*** in their wanting to think it’s legit.

If he had cancelled it because the item genuinely got damaged or something then yes it would be fine. But because he openly admitted that he sold it on somewhere else, he gets flagged as a non-performing seller and think there's either a note against him on his profile, or they can suspend him...

Doesn't really damage those folk who only sell the odd thing now and then though...

Andrew B

Reaction score
If he had cancelled it because the item genuinely got damaged or something then yes it would be fine. But because he openly admitted that he sold it on somewhere else, he gets flagged as a non-performing seller and think there's either a note against him on his profile, or they can suspend him...

Doesn't really damage those folk who only sell the odd thing now and then though...
It’s still out of order as most of us know the risk and reward of using auctions? That’s supposed to be the thrill with auctions and as the thread is suggesting it’s somehow gotten away from that, with folk not being realistic about things.
I’ve had some really good deals on Gumtree actually. Folk list the price with local area coming up first and in my case I got two matching Greys streamflex 7”6 and 8”6 with matching reels and greys line from a bloke who took up trout fishing on the Eden for one season and gave it up. For less than 200 bats I flew up to Appleby so there’s one good alternative to eBay imo.

chriswjx

Reaction score
It’s still out of order as most of us know the risk and reward of using auctions? That’s supposed to be the thrill with auctions and as the thread is suggesting it’s somehow gotten away from that, with folk not being realistic about things.
I’ve had some really good deals on Gumtree actually. Folk list the price with local area coming up first and in my case I got two matching Greys streamflex 7”6 and 8”6 with matching reels and greys line from a bloke who took up trout fishing on the Eden for one season and gave it up. For less than 200 bats I flew up to Appleby so there’s one good alternative to eBay imo.

Yup, was just a fella trying to be greedy and cover all his bases... but I dare say if it happened to him he wouldn't be as nonchalant...