Ebay Madness?

Meldon9

Reaction score
You need coal board safety wellies and a royal mail bag to finish the look

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with the good old brown posties bags! Modern ones a a bit bright for me!

Rrrr

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the good old brown posties bags! Modern ones a a bit bright for me!
Aye, in these days of catch and release such a big bag isnt really seen anymore.

wormo

Reaction score
I don’t get it Wormo? Even those old Daiwa rods from the eighties and nineties are selling for coin I can’t get my head around lol.
most of them don't sell though but I think lockdown boredom mabe driving some people mad

gcp1987

Reaction score
Just was wondering if anyone else would share my disbelief on this?

Sharpes 24" gye net, sold as used (though in immaculate condition). Went for £62 + £12 shipping...

A new one from Sharpes is £74.99 with free shipping, so I was boggled to see one marked as used go for basically the same.
If you include the real "cost" on the environment for the brand new net, ie: the raw materials/resources used, energy in production, cost to ship product to retailer and then to the customer it kind of makes sense if you put an eco-hat on- especially if the used net is in mint condition.

You could argue that the buyer has done a good thing keeping the used and perfectly good net out of landfill...

Still, it is a surprise to see the prices are so close!

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
You could be onto something there Wilki? I’m having visions after the lockdown of turning up to our favourite haunts and having to get in line behind a queue of newfound lockdown anglers sporting 80s style Bob Church fishing vests and Ron Thompson salmon rods paired with Abu Rimfly reels.......

Maybe I need to get out more😂
my gear is not a lot more modern than that
You could be onto something there Wilki? I’m having visions after the lockdown of turning up to our favourite haunts and having to get in line behind a queue of newfound lockdown anglers sporting 80s style Bob Church fishing vests and Ron Thompson salmon rods paired with Abu Rimfly reels.......

Maybe I need to get out more😂
my gear is not a lot more modern than that,Leeda magnum reels daiwa rods

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
There can be some good deals at times but the best ive had are where the seller has described the item in a way that makes it too hard to find.
Got an unused ultralite disc salmon for 140 quid a couple of years back due to spelling mistakes.
Also got my day a vision 13 footer for 30 quid because the seller had listed it as just 13ft 9 10

got a 13ft sportfish im6 flyrod almost unused for fifty quid super rod

Lurig

Reaction score
I know others have already mentioned this but the price of Jungle Cock Capes is getting unbelievable with lots going in the £100 to £150 ish range & some are not even that good.

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
I know others have already mentioned this but the price of Jungle Cock Capes is getting unbelievable with lots going in the £100 to £150 ish range & some are not even that good.
yes there is a cape currently in excess of £150, what would a couple of eyes from that cost per fly.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Thats why i like beats in the middle of nowhere that arent really listed on club maps. A good walk from the car through farm land and unless shown they are a nightmare to find and fish

Boom! A kindred spirit.
On club water which can consist of an entire river in some places, I would often spend time in finding some fishing away from the car parks and obvious fish and angler traps? Most folk are either lazy or go for the craic imo?I have some places where I can guarantee I won’t see a footprint other than mine all year. Sure it’s not the easy unhindered fishing that the popular places are, and you have to be prepared to lose flies and get turned round in the dark but it ain’t hard rewarding when it comes off?
Have to add that I know some folk who hate being on their own and they love having others seeing them catch lol.

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
There can be some good deals at times but the best ive had are where the seller has described the item in a way that makes it too hard to find.
Got an unused ultralite disc salmon for 140 quid a couple of years back due to spelling mistakes.
Also got my day a vision 13 footer for 30 quid because the seller had listed it as just 13ft 9 10

Yes there are those “sleepers” still, where a fly rod gets lost in amongst the course fishing section or something like that. I had a decent business and was self employed for about five years in sourcing classic salmon fly materials, vintage fly tying kits and whole taxidermy birds from auctions all over the country and if there was a lone fishing lot on its own I knew it would be a sleeper and would go cheap.
Should add that, it’s gotten really difficult now to get a bargain as it’s so easy to look up values and as per the thread about eBay, folk in general-just get too carried away and push the prices up.

Last edited:

Meldon9

Reaction score
Aye, in these days of catch and release such a big bag isnt really seen anymore.

Thankfully where i fish the C&R nutters have not taken over yet!

Also make goodgoose bags!

chriswjx

Reaction score
Yes there are those “sleepers” still, where a fly rod gets lost in amongst the course fishing section or something like that. I had a decent business and was self employed for about five years in sourcing classic salmon fly materials, vintage fly tying kits and whole taxidermy birds from auctions all over the country and if there was a lone fishing lot on its own I knew it would be a sleeper and would go cheap.
Should add that, it’s gotten really difficult now to get a bargain as it’s so easy to look up values and as per the thread about eBay, folk in general-just get too carried away and push the prices up.

And when you find a bargain the seller can be a 🍑 (to pardon the french)

There was a nice Beaulite (JW Youngs 1540) with spare spools on ebay I just lost out on, cos no one else decided to bid, and it ended at £40 which in fairness is a stupidly low price, and I did offer him a higher price 2 days before the auction finished... then I get a message 2 mins after "winning" the auction from him saying "Oh I've decided to sell it elsewhere"... Annoying how if I was the one to cancel after buying eBay are like "thats a breach of contract bleh bleh"...

Elibank

Reaction score

There was a nice Beaulite (JW Youngs 1540) with spare spools on ebay I just lost out on, cos no one else decided to bid, and it ended at £40 which in fairness is a stupidly low price, and I did offer him a higher price 2 days before the auction finished... then I get a message 2 mins after "winning" the auction from him saying "Oh I've decided to sell it elsewhere"... Annoying how if I was the one to cancel after buying eBay are like "thats a breach of contract bleh bleh"...
It’ll probably be relisted, some of these sellers couldn’t run a whelk stall.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen some items for sale or bid there that are clearly overpriced. Someone mentioned battered old Hardy reels, yep seen those. Honestly I've seen reels offered starting at $125 USD that I wouldn't take home if I saw them at a Thrift Shop for $20 just too abused unless you need the springs and pawls from them.

One reel I can't figure the pricing on is the Hardy Angel. In America that reel did not sell very well at all. Had I known that they would be listed at eBay for the same as retail or higher I could have bought them on Closeout Pricing at 45% off retail.

I've been toying with the idea of trying one but there's no way I'll pay $500 for a discontinued reel......

Was it W.C. Fields who said "There's a sucker born every minute"?

I really love the messaging eBay sends here on the US site, things like "Hurry and Bid Again so you can Win" or "Enter a Higher Max Bid so this doesn't get away........"

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've seen some items for sale or bid there that are clearly overpriced. Someone mentioned battered old Hardy reels, yep seen those. Honestly I've seen reels offered starting at $125 USD that I wouldn't take home if I saw them at a Thrift Shop for $20 just too abused unless you need the springs and pawls from them.

One reel I can't figure the pricing on is the Hardy Angel. In America that reel did not sell very well at all. Had I known that they would be listed at eBay for the same as retail or higher I could have bought them on Closeout Pricing at 45% off retail.

I've been toying with the idea of trying one but there's no way I'll pay $500 for a discontinued reel......

Was it W.C. Fields who said "There's a sucker born every minute"?

I really love the messaging eBay sends here on the US site, things like "Hurry and Bid Again so you can Win" or "Enter a Higher Max Bid so this doesn't get away........"
The prices of the "collectors" reels make no sense to me. Either a rough looking brass faced perfect that is only good for a shelf or a ltd edition of a reel for 6 times the price.
If im buying a reel, the first thing im doing is sticking a line on and using it which will probably mean gravel rash etc.
Also the hardy angels drag reminds me of an old 70s telephone with the spinny dial thing.

chriswjx

Reaction score
The prices of the "collectors" reels make no sense to me. Either a rough looking brass faced perfect that is only good for a shelf or a ltd edition of a reel for 6 times the price.
If im buying a reel, the first thing im doing is sticking a line on and using it which will probably mean gravel rash etc.
Also the hardy angels drag reminds me of an old 70s telephone with the spinny dial thing.

Some of those wooden reels crack me up... because its roughly carved out of wood its worth £50+?

Elibank

Reaction score
Anyone asking nearly £450 for a 13’ Hexagraph Walker wants their bumps feeling....

Anyone paying that should be sectioned

Andrew B

Reaction score

Is that even allowed? Have to say as a seller I did ok but there are always gonna be those who you’re never gonna please.
Re dodgy sellers I’ve learned to spot em and stay clear but I remember my mother who is no duck egg, getting fleeced twice in a row on IPads which fortunately were covered by PayPal.

Maybe it’s the Yorkshire in her looking for a bargain but it’s the old adage “if it looks too good to be true”.
One thing I’ve seen on eBay is someone listing a load of major things from speed boats, cars to caravans and there’s usually a few grand on each and there might be as much as thirty items all listed to end at the exact same time lol.

Anyone who’s sold on EBay knows it takes about ten minutes to list each item, making each lot end at different times.
All those got pulled before ending by eBay but you’d be surprised how many folk who fall for this s*** in their wanting to think it’s legit.