Ebay Madness?

chriswjx

Reaction score
Just was wondering if anyone else would share my disbelief on this?

Sharpes 24" gye net, sold as used (though in immaculate condition). Went for £62 + £12 shipping...

A new one from Sharpes is £74.99 with free shipping, so I was boggled to see one marked as used go for basically the same.

SteveG

Reaction score
Just was wondering if anyone else would share my disbelief on this?

Sharpes 24" gye net, sold as used (though in immaculate condition). Went for £62 + £12 shipping...

A new one from Sharpes is £74.99 with free shipping, so I was boggled to see one marked as used go for basically the same.
Auction fever - it’s an auction so it must be cheap 😂 😂

chriswjx

Reaction score
Yep... In a lot of cases its usually someone's bought something at the RRP, never used it so selling it as new/unused. But in the meantime shops are doing sales on the stuff... Effectively undercutting the 2nd hand market 😆

The other one that confuses the heck out of me is seeing tackle being sold from Japan? I'm currently using JW Youngs 1535s because I managed to pick up 2 reels and 4 spare spools for about £100 total. But I found a couple (stamped as Bruce and Walkers) for sale from a Japanese tackle shop for £250+ EACH! 😯

Last edited:

chriswjx

Reaction score
seen the price some of the jc capes with every feather split are going for, perhaps a good time to sell any surplus

I saw someone list 4 used capes, with practically all the mid feathers removed, and he's starting at £60... in fairness, you probably have the same amount of feathers as a new cape, but in the largest and smallest feathers possible...

Rrrr

Reaction score
The hardy listings seem to be full of dreamers. Batterd old marquis and viscount reels with no paint listed for crazy money or a crazy starting price.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

wormo

Reaction score
The hardy listings seem to be full of dreamers. Batterd old marquis and viscount reels with no paint listed for crazy money or a crazy starting price.

a lot of dream prices on there older model hardy rods like the demon, sirrus, gem or B&W hexagraph etc mostly 15ft or longer wanting upwards of £400 notes , never in a million years
these rods although not ancient are modern dinosaurs , not a patch on todays blanks
in my opinion and I loved my 13ft demon but it was very slow

Andrew B

Reaction score
Lol I thought it was me just being tight re some of the prices on eBay?
It’s not just eBay either as I’ve always bought from regular auctions- household general sales and sporting goods sales where prices were always well below retail value?
Most auctions are charging between 25 and 30% now and with the internet just like eBay the prices get pushed up above what is reasonable imo.
eBay is still good for some new items though imo? Off fishing topic but I ordered some guitar strings yesterday for six quid free shipping on something with a retail price of fifteen bats. I’m just hoping it’s not one of them psy ops where they get back in touch and say we don’t have those in stock but can send you an equivalent which are usually cheapo?

Andrew B

Reaction score
a lot of dream prices on there older model hardy rods like the demon, sirrus, gem or B&W hexagraph etc mostly 15ft or longer wanting upwards of £400 notes , never in a million years
these rods although not ancient are modern dinosaurs , not a patch on todays blanks

I don’t get it Wormo? Even those old Daiwa rods from the eighties and nineties are selling for coin I can’t get my head around lol.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Have to say and I guess Flying Scotsman would know more, that those Bloke rod blanks and even the built ones seem to be a good deal?
Iain Bain put me onto the Bloke thing, saying his Bloke switch rod is better than any of the high end makes he’s used so I guess there are still bargains so long as you stay clear of any sale with Sage, Hardy, Loop ect where folk just seem to lose all reasoning on the name alone and what it means to em perhaps?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Yep... In a lot of cases its usually someone's bought something at the RRP, never used it so selling it as new/unused. But in the meantime shops are doing sales on the stuff... Effectively undercutting the 2nd hand market 😆

The other one that confuses the heck out of me is seeing tackle being sold from Japan? I'm currently using JW Youngs 1535s because I managed to pick up 2 reels and 4 spare spools for about £100 total. But I found a couple (stamped as Bruce and Walkers) for sale from a Japanese tackle shop for £250+ EACH! 😯
Everything is expensive in Japan.
I see loop classic reels second on ebay for more than you can buy from loop.

Andrew B

Reaction score
perhaps because fishing is becoming more popular since the lockdowns people needing tackle
You could be onto something there Wilki? I’m having visions after the lockdown of turning up to our favourite haunts and having to get in line behind a queue of newfound lockdown anglers sporting 80s style Bob Church fishing vests and Ron Thompson salmon rods paired with Abu Rimfly reels.......

Maybe I need to get out more😂

Rrrr

Reaction score
You could be onto something there Wilki? I’m having visions after the lockdown of turning up to our favourite haunts and having to get in line behind a queue of newfound lockdown anglers sporting 80s style Bob Church fishing vests and Ron Thompson salmon rods paired with Abu Rimfly reels.......

Maybe I need to get out more
Thats why i like beats in the middle of nowhere that arent really listed on club maps. A good walk from the car through farm land and unless shown they are a nightmare to find and fish

Rrrr

Reaction score
There can be some good deals at times but the best ive had are where the seller has described the item in a way that makes it too hard to find.
Got an unused ultralite disc salmon for 140 quid a couple of years back due to spelling mistakes.
Also got my day a vision 13 footer for 30 quid because the seller had listed it as just 13ft 9 10

Woodsy

Reaction score
I bought a 24 inch teardrop sharps net last year for less, brand new and delivered...
However, I spoke to sharpes directly and they had none in stock and didn't think they would be making them any time soon due to supplies from china.

I guess people were desperate

I see the same with Shakespeare switch rods going for 60 quid on facebook and ebay. You can usually get them brand new with some kind of warranty for £65 during sales. There is an oracle spey on for 90 quid at the moment if you include postage. It was cheaper brand new with the discount code from JN last week!

chriswjx

Reaction score
I bought a 24 inch teardrop sharps net last year for less, brand new and delivered...
However, I spoke to sharpes directly and they had none in stock and didn't think they would be making them any time soon due to supplies from china.

I guess people were desperate

I see the same with Shakespeare switch rods going for 60 quid on facebook and ebay. You can usually get them brand new with some kind of warranty for £65 during sales. There is an oracle spey on for 90 quid at the moment if you include postage. It was cheaper brand new with the discount code from JN last week!

I checked Sharpes' website when I got out bid on that auction, and they seem to have all sizes back in stock now (I know they were still out of most in the first week of the year at the earliest). Still annoyed by that JN sale haha, I bought an oracle rod and a spinning rod 2 days before they sent me the code... Decided to treat myself to an Atlas vice to make up for it :ROFLMAO: (as my snowbee flymate decided to pack it in at the same time...)

Woodsy

Reaction score
I checked Sharpes' website when I got out bid on that auction, and they seem to have all sizes back in stock now (I know they were still out of most in the first week of the year at the earliest). Still annoyed by that JN sale haha, I bought an oracle rod and a spinning rod 2 days before they sent me the code... Decided to treat myself to an Atlas vice to make up for it :ROFLMAO: (as my snowbee flymate decided to pack it in at the same time...)
I would have rang them and asked could they refund the discount off as a good will gesture, I have no shame though :LOL:

chriswjx

Reaction score
I would have rang them and asked could they refund the discount off as a good will gesture, I have no shame though :LOL:

I did try 😂 they're not answering phones on the weekend anymore though, and the rods arrived that same day as the discount code as well haha

wilkinson shrimp

Reaction score
abso
Thats why i like beats in the middle of nowhere that arent really listed on club maps. A good walk from the car through farm land and unless shown they are a nightmare to find and fish

spot on