Earn report 1965

thejosler

Reaction score
Please note if your looking for genuine river earn report please scroll down on scottish rivers this thread was given to me by the forum for assorted drivel .I was allowed home from school early that friday,my biology teacher was a fishing man himself. So 3.30 pm and me an ma dad ,big Rab are on the Linlithgow bus from Bo,ness. 4 pm we catches the Edinburgh to Stirling bus, at the Stirling station ,you had to run like the bars ! to catch the Crieff bus ,got it ! A bit of a rest, through Brig O Allan ,Dunblane etc ,then off at the farm a mile before Muthill.Follow the hedgerow down to the railway ,over the private road and through the Bigwood. Thats where I seen the biggest hare ever,"Thats a roe ya erse" big Rab retorts.Ok young josler muses.10 minutes later ,I,m being attacked with a black eagle , "Capercaillie " Rab shouts .4 miles on the Earn, but woh! on the other side of the Bombhole ,a fisher! Turns dark, the tree on the other bank sprouts a hat and arms,young joslers shitin it. No bubble float and 2 droppers for him,cuddle up in the barley.Big Rab ,shouts "you ok son" aye paw,I,m not ,the fence posts staring at me wi a face on it now. Big Rabs not had a "draw" ,the waters low ,its 2 am, then ! the water rises a wee tiny bit and turns grey. The big yin gets into the seatrout immediatley, 11 and a 5lb grilse ,and hes on to the big yin upstairs" it just can,t turn light," 4 miles back for the 6 oclock Stirling bus ,a few hens eggs from the side of the road ,one of many happy memories. Years later it transpires in the Station Hotel ,Crieff ,some work was being carried out at the power station at Comrie ,causing the change in water conditions.These outings will never be repeated.

Last edited:

thejosler

Reaction score
The bonfire to remember

Jump forward to 1966, aye that bloody fitba year! The full ,or at least ,almost the full josler clan, decides to hit the Earn early ,just to take a recco, or perhaps just chappin" at the bit to get away. We,re posh noo ,we,ve got cars in the family,Hillman minxes an, all that. Any way ,lest I digress, the winter spates been down, the willows on the bankside are littered with debris, the elders of the clan have NO intention of fishing,theres no migratory fish in march? I ,at 11 years old enthuse, devon minnows ,mepps ,the works, to no avail. Dark oclock comes rapid, so the firewids getting collected ,its lit, an hour later ,me, josler the 2nds sitting 50 yards 6 tattie drills away from this inferno, its pissin down and not a bit of waters touching me, they had tractor tyres ,branches,oil cans a back seat oot an anglia on this thing,and we moan about pollution now ?Anyway, daybreak finally comes ,a good few ill men rouse,drink offcourse, I whacks the good old blue and silver devon on ,first cast I,m just about to lift the rod ,when from my FEET a broonie as white as a seatrout takes me ,thats the josler hooked for life ,braw.

keirstream

Reaction score
Aye, Jos.
Your bonfire post brings back huge memories of life in the fast lane back in the late 60s/early 70s.
One friday night in October a team of us took the bus from Bannockburn to Kinbuck with the intention of being on the Allan bright and early Saturday morning. As per usual as we neared Dunblane, the thought of passing through and leaving a perfectly good boozer in our wake became more and more unthinkable so we baled out at the square and took up temporary residence in the Stirling Arms.:)
At shutting time, 10pm we staggered out ,p****d and penniless barring for our bus fares home (even at that age we wernt that daft) and started the loooong trek to Kinbuck.:(
What seemed like a fun filled eternity later we set up camp at the big pool above the bridge and built a bonfire of epic proportions to protect us from the frost.
Quietness soon decended except for the snores around the fire until about an hour later when blood curdling screams seemed to indicate someone was getting murdered.:eek:
It turned out that one of the lads, Ronnie Muirhead , had sidled far too close to the fire ,resulting in the soles melting off his wellies, extremely badly scorched feet and a long painful walk to the bus stop next day.:D
We caught hee-haw as usual.:(

Last edited:

thejosler

Reaction score
Aye, Jos.
Your bonfire post brings back huge memories of life in the fast lane back in the late 60s/early 70s.
One friday night in October a team of us took the bus from Bannockburn to Kinbuck with the intention of being on the Allan bright and early Saturday morning. As per usual as we neared Dunblane, the thought of passing through and leaving a perfectly good boozer in our wake became more and more unthinkable so we baled out at the square and took up temporary residence in the Stirling Arms.:)
At shutting time, 10pm we staggered out ,p****d and penniless barring for our bus fares home (even at that age we wernt that daft) and started the loooong trek to Kinbuck.:(
What seemed like a fun filled eternity later we set up camp at the big pool above the bridge and built a bonfire of epic proportions to protect us from the frost.
Quietness soon decended except for the snores around the fire until about an hour later when blood curdling screams seemed to indicate someone was getting murdered.:eek:
It turned out that one of the lads, Ronnie Muirhead , had sidled far too close to the fire ,resulting in the soles melting off his wellies, extremely badly scorched feet and a long painful walk to the bus stop next day.:D
We caught hee-haw as usual.:(
These ,rather,condensed ,excerpts are from a book I,m writing at present,let yous know when its complete.

keirstream

Reaction score
These ,rather,condensed ,excerpts are from a book I,m writing at present,let yous know when its complete.

Would you like me to proof read the book wot you wrote prior to it going to the publisher??????
Or is it to retain the authentic charm of the original Joslerese language, a dialect that would appear to be an amalgam of many local vernaculars including your home town of Bannockburn, your adopted abode of BoNess and-----------every Chinese, Indian, Thai and Italian community in between.:rolleyes:

I rook folwald to it velly velly much an at ya hoor sur.:cool:

Last edited:

S23 RTY

Reaction score
had sidled far too close to the fire ,resulting in the soles melting off his wellies
:D Ouch, amusing but ouch!

65, 66, god I didn't come along until the mid 70s you old farts! ;)

Still, some good memories of heading off down the river myself and mates when I was old enough.

There was one overgrown garden with an old buddy who always let us turn over the garden as long as we didnt keep digging at the same bit, had to work the way along it all, which didnt bother us we got jar loads of black heads and she got the weeds and long grass turned over. Friday night after dinner we'd head down with the forks and get to work, up early on the Saturday, rods tied to the bikes, ruck sack over the shoulder with the sannies, juice and crisps and off we'd go the few miles to the river, hide the bikes and fish all day long. We never did have the sense to hide a bike at one end of the river and take one to the other end so we always ended up walking back, always having a last cast as we wandered back.

Quite often Sundays we'd leave the rods and worms at my wee mates house cos his mum worked during the week, so I'd leave the house on a Monday morning in school uniform and cycle up to his house, get changed and off we'd go back out to the river! Always ended up in a mad rush trying to get home to coincide with getting down the road from school.

There was one farmer who would let us get the fire going and camp by the river all we had to do was give him a chap and he was fine. All we had to do was tidy up behind us which we always did.

Great days.

keirstream

Reaction score
S23 RTY 65 said:
Aye and remember the two old farts that used to tell you to feck off back to school??????
Thats right, me and the Josler you insolent young whippersnapper.:(

thejosler

Reaction score
after reading this i have just put yous as actors of still game now,hope yis have seen it or this will make no sence lol
william
William, wash your mouth oot wi soap,:eek: Tom and I are stand ins for the Krankies;), hansome brutes that we are. ps the" flaming hedgehogs " and "the day the pillars of my temple collapsed" chapters to follow.:cool:

thejosler

Reaction score
Flaming hedgehogs

We,re into 67 now ,the old hillman minx has been traded in for a horrid sky blue triumph herald with no brakes,auld greenheart ,ma faither ,exclaims "theres no feckin way I,m getting in that thing" so off we go,plugs the school on the friday ,me greenheart and jimmy bailley ,thats nollie bailleys brother ,stalward of the forth ,bye the way,died young last year,poor bugger , he could nab a fish, sorry tears on ma keyboard ,oops! its a glens vodka ,anyway,bus to stirling etc up to the earn .This is march ,just after the troot seasons opened, Old greenheart ,decides we,re crossing, so culicode over the water for me and bailley.,he,s been gagging to try out his new milbro get up(embassy regal coupons,ma mum smoked 300 a day so I could get a minimoke, ended up with an iron lung ?),me,I,ve got the chieftan tank ariel wi the mitchell 301, 5 oclock pm it snows ,and I mean it SNOWS. So we takes refuge in the old castle,obviously ,thats where my regal ancestors took refuge INDEED,!Over the winter ,the jakies,jackdaws to our learned friends,have been pumping the auld chimney full off twigs.Greenheart , ma faither, lights up and tosses on a few clugs ,we,re snuggled up under the old ovens for a few hours ,then ! the break oot ,the dormant hedgepigs make a break for it from the fallen twigs in the old fireplace !Ever heard a hedgehog make a noise ,yes I,ve heard them grunting when thier pissed off ,but squeal, only that once. THEY WERE SMOKIN !!:cool:

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Getting more and more like cliffhanging episodes from------Dick Barton-Special Agent.:cool: DIN DRIN DIN DRIN DIN DIN DIN DIN DIN DIN DIN DIN DIN DRIN DIN DIN DRIN DIN DIN.:D:D
Takes me back to Joe Moonies in the 60s.:)

thejosler

Reaction score
The pillars of my temple collapse

Having (through my grand father) established a foothold both in Morven and Strathearn, as a young teenager one had to make his first gut wrenching decision in life.Did I return to my station on Kinlochaline and take up the offer of an apprentice deer stalker on Ardtornish under the the wing of the late Bill Watson or did I opt for the much closer farmhand on Strathearn ., my heart ,to this day wrenches at the decision I had to make. In the end my fate was to be decided by others,my grandad passed away at the tender age of 53(coal dust) and Watson moved to Dunalister.So it was weekends at the farm on the Earn bank,we had some epic outings me and the farmers son along with the under keeper,terrier work, lamping rabbits and foxes ,helping with the birds etc.But nearing the age of 15 with 6 siblings ,one had to make a choice yet again ,a real paying job or the life of opening gates and tilting ones cap to the boss!I took up an engineering apprenticeship at Kinneil with the NCB, always visiting my "castle" on the Earn at weekends. The old castle was starting to be over run with straggs,feral pigeons,which was ironic ,as a pair of peregrines nested in the gable end ,under thier nest the ground was strewn with pigeon legs,every second one with a racing ring attached ! So as we had already done on the farm,we had to cull the messy brutes/the straggs So four of us set out on our mission ,shot guns at the ready, the under keeper stands between the pillars of the main door ,we shout and clap like thunder ,up go the straggs ,two shots go off, No !my castle lets out a tremendous roar,we,re OFF, not only my pillars collapse ,down comes the middle stair case,the floor the lot.Once the dust settles,and my friends I MEAN dust ,we,re in shock, the lodgings are gone forever ,the imaginary family seat dead.,gone for ever now in the annuls of history never to be my refuge from the elements again One thing I,d like to add to you prospective anglers ,be warned ,the castle had its own spook/ghost and we intered him, when I,m up walking the dog I give the ruins a wide berth,the hairs on top of my head,whats left of them,still bristle to this day. To any anglers wetting a line nearbye, beware the spook, he surfaces at night!!!;) THE PLANE CRASH episode to follow:rolleyes:

Last edited:

gotoneon

Reaction score
Having (through my grand father) established a foothold both in Morven and Strathearn, as a young teenager one had to make his first gut wrenching decision in life.Did I return to my station on Kinlochaline and take up the offer of an apprentice deer stalker on Ardtornish under the the wing of the late Bill Watson or did I opt for the much closer farmhand on Strathearn ., my heart ,to this day wrenches at the decision I had to make. In the end my fate was to be decided by others,my grandad passed away at the tender age of 53(coal dust) and Watson moved to Dunalister.So it was weekends at the farm on the Earn bank,we had some epic outings me and the farmers son along with the under keeper,terrier work, lamping rabbits and foxes ,helping with the birds etc.But nearing the age of 15 with 6 siblings ,one had to make a choice yet again ,a real paying job or the life of opening gates and tilting ones cap to the boss!I took up an engineering apprenticeship at Kinneil with the NCB, always visiting my "castle" on the Earn at weekends. The old castle was starting to be over run with straggs,feral pigeons,which was ironic ,as a pair of peregrines nested in the gable end ,under thier nest the ground was strewn with pigeon legs,every second one with a racing ring attached ! So as we had already done on the farm,we had to cull the messy brutes/the straggs So four of us set out on our mission ,shot guns at the ready, the under keeper stands between the pillars of the main door ,we shout and clap like thunder ,up go the straggs ,two shots go off, No !my castle lets out a tremendous roar,we,re OFF, not only my pillars collapse ,down comes the middle stair case,the floor the lot.Once the dust settles,and my friends I MEAN dust ,we,re in shock, the lodgings are gone forever ,the imaginary family seat dead.,gone for ever now in the annuls of history never to be my refuge from the elements again One thing I,d like to add to you prospective anglers ,be warned ,the castle had its own spook/ghost and we intered him, when I,m up walking the dog I give the ruins a wide berth,the hairs on top of my head,whats left of them,still bristle to this day. To any anglers wetting a line nearbye, beware the spook, he surfaces at night!!!;) THE PLANE CRASH episode to follow:rolleyes:

F. . f. . .f.. f I want to swear here but. . .that was brilliant. The best yet Thejosler!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D PMSL indeed

thejosler

Reaction score
The plane crash!!

I,m a bit out of sinc here this should have been before "my pillars etc. collapse" anyway
A large posse of joslers decide to hit Strathearn for the first week of the Glasgow fortnicht(I,m back on ma josler style of writing,but ma books in good queens scottish) Theres auld greenheart,(ma dad), my mum 3 of ma sisters ,uncle chasler his wifey moira and thier two bairns.We,ve blagged a bell tent from the local boyscouts ,its a biggy, kinda" red ochre coloured ,and oor farmer pal on the north side of hielmans brig,(thats the old railway bridge above Dornoch),has fenced off a bit for camp josler right in the corner of the dairy coos field where the railway met the banks of the Earn. Shangrila,eutopia, we,re in the des res, with family, braw, now on arriving the young josler,knee high to a border terrier, meets up with the farmer pal,cadges the .22 bullet gun for coney hunting (we had to eat !) I,m informed via the farmers wife that theres nae ammo,What does one do? "toffee" ,josler waves down the double ended choo choo at hielmans and gets a run into the capital of Scotland, Crieff!! The train drivers shouting "you,ve got 5 mins and this things going back to Auchterarder" i,m up to Frank Thompsons like a whippet,no licence,nothing,tin of 22 bullets back to the train ,off at the camp,sorted,try either of these scenarios now ,jail !Anyway,campfire ,Ging gang goolie, Wild rover no more an. that ,bedtime!Summer was summer then, you could write your name in the tar on the footpaths outside your hoose,and use the stork margarine to take it off yer hands and still use it for your faithers pit piece.The cadged belltents all quiet, daylight comes the rising sun turns the walls of the accomodation vivid orange, and just as aunty Moira opens her bleary eyes the train to Crieff thunders past.Well i,ll tell you ,mayhem broke loose ,heedless chickens bairns screaming,she thought it wis a plane crashed into the railway bank?? Now ,even at a young age the joslers no daft ,hes got the insurance money counted ,auldest son an. that.I.m out under the edge of the tent and running like the bars towards the toon, alas i,m thwarted wi the barbed wire fence the farmer had put up it was the same hieght as joslers eyeline, 4 stitches later,Stirling hospital,damaged retina ,specky for life, the family ? picked me up on thier way home at the end of the week ,exclaiming they had a great time,feckers. THE BUSMANS HOLIDAY TO FOLLOW

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
What was that last story you told me about living a sheltered childhood???
Canny wait till the next tension tinged episode------DIN DRIN DIN DRIN------------------------:cool:

thejosler

Reaction score
T&S Report January 1966,Earn report.

Grayling fishing was steady in spite of cold icey conditions. Salmon were reportadley late in spawning.,activity in the former expected till the end of the month.Mr Miller,superintendent to the river Tay ,had stripped 85 hen fish and 33 cocks ,all fish returned to the system. A farm ,north of the town bridge(Crieff) was sold including the fishing rights to Lady Marys Walk ,CAC hoped to retain the fishing rights.
Advert of the month
Sportsmail,Cardiff,were offering the JW Youngs 4 inch Beaudex for £6/8s/7d credit free terms.
The editors page made issue of the demise of the whaling industry ,due to over fishing.!
Reference was also made by a contributor, that many anglers were ,packing in the sport as salmon were too easy to catch!!:eek:

Last edited:

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Grayling fishing was steady in spite of cold icey conditions. Salmon were reportadley late in spawning.,activity in the former expected till the end of the month.Mr Miller,superintendent to the river Tay ,had stripped 85 hen fish and 33 cocks ,all fish returned to the system. A farm ,north of the town bridge(Crieff) was sold including the fishing rights to Lady Marys Walk ,CAC hoped to retain the fishing rights.
Advert of the month
Sportsmail,Cardiff,were offering the JW Youngs 4 inch Beaudex for £6/8s/7d credit free terms.
The editors page made issue of the demise of the whaling industry ,due to over fishing.!
Reference was also made by a contributor, that many anglers were ,packing in the sport as salmon were too easy to catch!!:eek:
Wonder where the hatchery was located back then?

thejosler

Reaction score

UDN was mentioned in the first half of the year,then never given a mention ,or confirmed during the later half ? Some large fish noted and good seatrout coming into the system early in the year , a 32lb salmon confirmed.A "regular " camper (un,named) :rolleyes: near Templemill had caught over 30 seatrout in his fortnights vacation ,only going out at night:eek: Regular fishers were probing for the season to be extended into november(ringing any bells ?) because of the rivers late runs ,thier theory being the later fish ruined the earlier runs spawning reds :confused:
Editors report,he had been fishing in Norway with a 7/0 salmon fly,when his ghillie hooked a whopper on a size 10 greenwells.
Advert for the season ,
From Anon Shaw,London,you could by a 4 inch Olympic/Japan salmon reel mod.460, for 59s/11d ,trade only.

Last edited: