Earn 2020

bradan

Reaction score
Popped out after work and my first of the season this within the hour. A bit colured :LOL: and a rubbish photo as I was just so relieved to have hooked and landed one. Hopefully the first of several before the end on the month.

Attachments

• 20201008-6lb.jpg
    20201008-6lb.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 133

TamG

Reaction score
Anyone seeing/catching fresh fish. The fish I am seeing are all coloured.
Bob.
Seen a lot of fish running through early Saturday morning between 7:30 - 9:00. Definitely seen some fresh fish among them. Im not having much luck connecting with them yet though. Mate sent pics of 3 fish caught on Monday which looked not bad. They weren't sea licers but they were silver.

The Birdman

Reaction score
Hi all,I’m a tad late to the forum for this season but I’m a member on the Dunning beat.
Lots of salmon holding and moving through our water on Saturday,not many anglers were fishing as they probably thought there would be no water.
Anyway tight lines for the next couple of weeks

RichardL

Reaction score
Hoping to get out Monday and Tuesday so here’s hoping! Let’s hope the high water drops back a bit.

bradan

Reaction score
Hoping to get out Monday and Tuesday so here’s hoping! Let’s hope the high water drops back a bit.

Richard,

Here's hoping. The water is currently high and the forecast for Lochearhead (the catchment area) for today and tomorrow is for more rain. Ditto later in the week.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 65

keirstream

Reaction score
There's only so many likes I can give a man in the space of a week.
Well done again Peter, a mighty bruiser. (y) (y)

goosander

Reaction score
Wonder if this seasons catch will be better or worse than the previous one. Any ideas what the total will be. Wonder what the Feryfield nets tally was.
Bob.

bradan

Reaction score
Wonder if this seasons catch will be better or worse than the previous one. Any ideas what the total will be. Wonder what the Feryfield nets tally was.
Bob.

Too early to tell. It's normally the New Year, at the earlierst, before the majority of returns are in.

Last edited:

strowan lea

Reaction score
I think the recent trend of fast running fish to the upper reaches has continued. Comrie especially, by all accounts, have had another good season. Covid didn't help the anglers but the fish would have free passage for a while. Will be interesting to see the actual returns!

Andrew B

Reaction score
Going back over thirty years ago we had some great holidays at a spectacular Victorian Hotel called The Crieff Hydro. My parents Ford Cortina looked a little out of place there lol.
Not sure if it’s still going or not but I remember seeing people salmon fishing for the first time.

goosander

Reaction score
Keep wondering if the stocking in the upper reaches by the Tay board years ago is the reason fish are heading up river fast.
Would make a good reason for the hatchery.
Bob.

bradan

Reaction score
Keep wondering if the stocking in the upper reaches by the Tay board years ago is the reason fish are heading up river fast.
Would make a good reason for the hatchery.
Bob.

They have been stocking the upper reaches for years but the change in how fish run is more recent, more to do with colder water from the bigger generators installed a decade or so ago. Bigger water, like we had this back-end, will also encourage fish to run hard.

goosander

Reaction score
That is why I am keen on a fish counter as low down the river as possible. I know it will not happen but it gives one a target to go for.
A few years ago when the river was dead mid summer the rive came alive with grilse. They were going all round me. Hitting the line and showing all over the pool. Dozens of them. Stopped as suddenly as they started. The rod above me never saw a thing. Where did they go.
Bob.

keirstream

Reaction score
Apologies to anybody who may be a little bewildered as to why this wee anecdote has appeared on this thread but it follows on to a similar one on the Nith but not really relevant there.
In the 80s and 90s the Earn was famous for huge back end fish and it was a goto destination for anglers all over the Central belt.
At that time I was privileged to have access to Coqhualzie beat owned at the time by Frank Thomson who had an Ironmongers and sporting equipment shop in Crieff. I was introduced to Frank by a friend, Ian Bennett who was ABU rep and sold tackle to Frank, Ian also fished the beat.
One late September day myself and my brother were spinning in the deep holding pool above the weir. I was using my new 6001 LHW multiplier and a 23/4 inch metal brown / gold devon. At that time, most anglers either moulded aluminium devons themselves or knew someone who did. It was simply the most popular and successful bait on the Earn in highish water conditions.
Which it was that day, just over 2 feet of water and clean.
The pool has around 150 yards of fishable water upstream from the weir until you reach trees which are impossible to get beyond.
Standard practice was to spin or worm all the way down to the weir which I had done and threw a final cast before moving on.
The devon stopped mid stream. It was solid and immovable, So, thumb on spool and tension cranked up I walked backwards putting full on strain onto the 20lb Maxima. Something moved ever so slightly so I'm thinking that I had hooked a sunken branch.
So, wind up tight again and repeat. I repeated this 6 times, each time gaining a few inches but still none the wiser until the "branch" moved upstream a yard. My brother and I exchanged surprised looks and a "no, it couldn't be" kind of glance.
More pressure and up it moved again, a little further this time but settled back down into an immovable position.
Long story short, after 40 minutes of gaining inches, the fish got thoroughly pissed off and decided to head upstream in a slow and deliberate pace. I could do absolutely nothing about it and, as it approached the tree line, I cranked the tension up to maximum and bent solidly into it, trying my best to turn it.
Now, I'm no stranger to big fish and the Earn at that time had plenty, but this was something else.:eek::eek:
It just continued upstream, peeling line off the reel as if it was free spooling untill it reached the garden pool some 120 yards above me. By that time , so much drowned line, intense pressure and back came the devon with the hooks completely mangled.
We never saw that fish.:( My brother still talks about it to this day, how the veins were sticking out in my neck trying to turn it.
Anyway, next evening, I got a phone call from Ian Bennett who had just returned from fishing the next beat above the one I had been fishing.
"Tam", he said, "you're not going to believe this, but today, only a few feet from me, a huge fish nosed and tailed twice. It was enormous, easily 50lbs!!!" Ian had several big fish over 30lbs and a couple of 40s to his credit. He knew what he was seeing.
I, meanwhile, was on the floor in the fetal position, sobbing inconsolably.:(