Earn 2020

Martin H

Reaction score
Was having a quick hours fishing down at Dornoch last night. Came across this letter from SEPA. Does anyone know what it relates too - abstraction or discharge?

Attachments

• C3A37FEB-0461-457B-B0F9-5A3FA644B2EE.jpeg
    C3A37FEB-0461-457B-B0F9-5A3FA644B2EE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67

bradan

Reaction score
Was having a quick hours fishing down at Dornoch last night. Came across this letter from SEPA. Does anyone know what it relates too - abstraction or discharge?

Accordng to Drummond Estates, M.A.M Constracting have obtained the licence for extracting gravel above the water level and 1 metre back from the edge. This has been done before and probably has the benefit for anglers of removing serval tonnes of gravel that would otherwise get washed down and in-fill the river bed.

Last edited:

kreid

Reaction score
looks like they stopped or at least reduced generating there....water level dropped.

bradan

Reaction score
looks like they stopped or at least reduced generating there....water level dropped.

Yes. Very frustrating at this time of the year as it means that as soon as the water rises again, especially if generated water, the fish charge through. At least we're at the right end of the river once that happens.

TamG

Reaction score
Just wondering if the netting station at Ferryfield is monitored on a regular basis and if so who is monitoring how many sea trout they are actually taking and is the odd salmon being caught in the nets. I couldn’t actually believe they are allowed to be netting the Earn so went for a look myself last month. The nets are off now but I’m curious as to how much they are actually taking.

bradan

Reaction score
Have other beats had a lot of water crowfoot this season. The levels have dropped and the river is full of it.
Bob.

Not nearly as bad as it has been in past years. Unfortunately, like so many things; JKW etc., it is undoubtedly here to stay and is evidence of a change to the environment many of us rew up in.

bradan

Reaction score
Just wondering if the netting station at Ferryfield is monitored on a regular basis and if so who is monitoring how many sea trout they are actually taking and is the odd salmon being caught in the nets. I couldn’t actually believe they are allowed to be netting the Earn so went for a look myself last month. The nets are off now but I’m curious as to how much they are actually taking.

One would assume that catches have to be reported but how exactly they are monitored I have no idea. I cannot see how there were not some salmoncaught as a bi-catch. A question for the TDSFB and Scot Gov/Marine Scotland.

goosander

Reaction score
Have been trying to find out but no one is saying anything. Asked a bailiff about it and he told us that the Tay board can not stop them. Seams crazy to me that we return our fish yet netting fish for sale is allowed.
Bob.

TamG

Reaction score
One would assume that catches have to be reported but how exactly they are monitored I have no idea. I cannot see how there were not some salmoncaught as a bi-catch. A question for the TDSFB and Scot Gov/Marine Scotland.
Is this something that the Crieff Angling Club Officials would bring to the TDSFB and Scot Gov/Marine Scotland I wonder? Might be an idea to give Gordon a quick e-mail. When I went for a look I was speaking to someone who know's the guys who carry out the netting but he didn't know how many fish or even what type of fish were taken.I believe they are only aloud to take a certain amount of sea trout per year but if no-ones keeping an eye on the returns it could be much more than the allowance. I don't think these guys would be happy with me snooping around the netting station either.

TamG

Reaction score
Have been trying to find out but no one is saying anything. Asked a bailiff about it and he told us that the Tay board can not stop them. Seams crazy to me that we return our fish yet netting fish for sale is allowed.
Bob.
It's totally unbelievable. especially if its not being monitored properly. Im not saying its not monitored properly I'd just like to know that it is. It's all very hush hush. Selling sea trout with the stocks as low as they are cant be legal or it shouldn't be. It's a disgrace.

bradan

Reaction score
Is this something that the Crieff Angling Club Officials would bring to the TDSFB and Scot Gov/Marine Scotland I wonder? Might be an idea to give Gordon a quick e-mail. When I went for a look I was speaking to someone who know's the guys who carry out the netting but he didn't know how many fish or even what type of fish were taken.I believe they are only aloud to take a certain amount of sea trout per year but if no-ones keeping an eye on the returns it could be much more than the allowance. I don't think these guys would be happy with me snooping around the netting station either.
We raised it with SG as part of our comment on the proposed Cat 3 for 2021. Also, I have asked for it to be discussed at the next REIA committee meeting.