Earn 2020

goosander

Reaction score
Would it not be possible to have say 2 tags per person or so many per beat. We need to get as many people on the river fishing as possible,
Bob.

keirstream

Reaction score
Would it not be possible to have say 2 tags per person or so many per beat. We need to get as many people on the river fishing as possible,
Bob.

Bob,
as it stands, you are guilty of thought crime.:)
As a designated Cat 3 river this season, even thinking of taking a fish would end you up in trouble.
100% C & R is what they have decreed for the Earn.
Like it or lump it, it is enshrined in law.:(

kreid

Reaction score
I don't object to 100% C+R on the earn. But I do not think it's right that it should ONLY be the Earn while other rivers are allowed to take salmon. I would not object to 100% C+R on ALL rivers, at least for a trial period to see how it went. Level playing field.

goosander

Reaction score
Have read that the mighty Tay has had its worst season in living memory. Is it also cat 3. Have no problem returning fish if it is going to help the river but as far as I can see the only ones that will benefit are the goosanders.
Bob.

mows

Reaction score
I don't object to 100% C+R on the earn. But I do not think it's right that it should ONLY be the Earn while other rivers are allowed to take salmon. I would not object to 100% C+R on ALL rivers, at least for a trial period to see how it went. Level playing field.

Check the Dee compared to the North Esk and you can see exactly how successful it is.

keirstream

Reaction score
Have read that the mighty Tay has had its worst season in living memory. Is it also cat 3. Have no problem returning fish if it is going to help the river but as far as I can see the only ones that will benefit are the goosanders.
Bob.

Bob,
the Tay has retained Cat 1 status but has a recommendation in place once again requesting 100% C & R. by the Board.

goosander

Reaction score
Tom.
Just wondering if the difference is down to money on the Tay. Both rivers in the same state but would be be surprised if the rod effort on the Earn was more per river.
Bob.

goosander

Reaction score
Saturday looks as if it is heading for a washout at present. Does not really matter as the whole season is in front of us. First day if suitable is usually spent seeing what changes there are and if we can find a kelt.
Bob.

kreid

Reaction score
were any fish caught today? I went up to Comrie and caught a few grayling and a couple of escapee 'bows so some action!

goosander

Reaction score
Just wondering if there was any indication on how many fish were caught last season on the river. Must/hopefully be a lot more than the previous season.
Bob.

goosander

Reaction score
Might make S.E.P.A. let the owners dig out some gravel to deepen some parts. Just hope the S.N.P. and S.E.P.A. do not decide to do this themselves or things will get worse.
Bob.

bradan

Reaction score
Might make S.E.P.A. let the owners dig out some gravel to deepen some parts. Just hope the S.N.P. and S.E.P.A. do not decide to do this themselves or things will get worse.
Bob.

They are so myopic that Hell's likely to freeze over first.

goosander

Reaction score
The dredging of river estuary's was stopped a few years ago. The Clyde estuary that I know best was at low tide a few sandbars with the shipping channel marked out with buoys, The silt has built up so much since then that at low tide you could almost walk out to the shipping channel now. The Earn now has a large sandbar across its mouth. This will also help the flooding in the lower areas.
Bob.

keirstream

Reaction score
Just wondering if there was any indication on how many fish were caught last season on the river. Must/hopefully be a lot more than the previous season.
Bob.

Figures just in, 2018 figures in brackets.
Salmon 497 (359) with a 96% return rate.
Sea Trout 696 (424).

So, yes Bob, the picture improved somewhat.:thumb:

david1982mk2

Reaction score
Is there a break down of the catches? ie beats. Would be interesting to know which areas the fish are in compared to years gone by. The middle river doesn't hold them like it used to.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited: