Early season lure colour

dumbartonangler89

Reaction score
What colour of lure would be best for February and march conditions? Is it too early for greens and yellow minnow imitations?

McPisces

Reaction score
The green & yellow combos are perfect for spring fishing and among my first choice when fishing minnows on the River Don along with black and orange and black & yellow.
I tend to favour fluro oranges and yellows for that little bit more colour.
I would normally fish the big 3" minnows if the water is big (which it really should be in spring), but I also have 2 3/4 & 2 1/2" too.
I also take mounts in the 3 sizes that have been wrapped in lead wire to get extra depth along with a few old Wye leads.

yellowbelly

Reaction score
Probably the best time of year for them, when expecting fresh springers, yellow lures in various shades are usually good for fresh fish throughout the year.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
To think the original yellow belly was a mustard yellow and there is every shade imaginable sacrilege lol

yellowbelly

Reaction score
Too true, loads of greens, the green most used seems to be British Racing Green. Loads of yellow variations for different water conditions. Fluorescent green above fluorescent yellow can be good in coloured water, worth a try.

HantsAvon

Reaction score
My version.....will make the spots more uniform on the next ones I think.
1613216071-picsay.jpg

kendalgreen

Reaction score
Want to try the Devon Minnow approach this year. Havn't used them before so looked on this forum for a few pointers and came across Chris Connolly. Just taken my first delivery of a selection of Devons from him. Minnows look good and a good bloke to deal with. Just need a few fish in the river now ......