Dying shrimp

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I managed to get some shrimp locally off the beach and tried dying them with some carp boilie dye.
For the boiling process i followed some advice off here. Some glyco vinegar and salted boiling water with the dye.

The dye didn't take too well but I suspect that's the dye I used.

I have been drying them out with some rock salt stored on paper.
Some seem to have gone a wee big too dry. Too much rock salt ?

I got some dylon dye so planning on trying that next time

Is salt the way to go for preserving them or glycerine?
If glycerine what would the best way to go about it?

Any help greatfully received
Thanks Ben

Johnny fisher

Reaction score
Glycerine for sure put them in an air tight jar fill up with glycerine and then in fridge take out what you need rinse gently and dry out on paper towel then put them in bag with some sea salt

sneakypeter

Reaction score
To dye shrimps/prawns, gentian violet is the stuff (for purple), be warned you only need a very small amount, it will dye anything including saucepans, kitchen worktops, sinks and you! Bleach removes it from these surfaces. For red, food dyes work quite well, the paste type are best.
peter

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I've been getting shrimp, not many prawn when on the beach last few days.
Tried dylon today
Came out better but still not there yet.
Will try and get violet and look at the food dyes

Thanks for input

Attachments

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Do not discount prawns, the big ,deep water variety, they are very different from the coastal variety, cheap, but from Tesco,s etc, maybe not as nice looking as the fresh caught shrimp, but I have always found them more successful, even small grilse will take them with gusto, I have caught many small grilse on them (2/3LB), and a lot of MSW fish too!!!!!
peter

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I got some from purple whiskers last year.
He does a great service. I went for medium in hindsight should have gone for small.
If prefer smaller ones....

Isisalar

Reaction score
A very successful friend has never bought any preserved shrimps or prawns and picks up what he needs from the fishmongers.
Shell on prawns and brown shrimps work.
Major disadvantage is that invariably they've been frozen at some point but they still work.

the ditch

Reaction score
I've been getting shrimp, not many prawn when on the beach last few days.
Tried dylon today
Came out better but still not there yet.
Will try and get violet and look at the food dyes

you Will do very well on them shrimp sometimes the shrimp go a dark brown and I found it very hard for red dye to take to them however gentian violet will take no problems, practice makes perfect I done a few last night burgundy Egg prawns
BC509713-F943-423D-9A2C-6C61141D9FCC.jpeg

bencarvosso

Reaction score
They're a beautiful red. And a lovely shine off them. What red dye do you use if you don't mind me asking

Thanks Ben

the ditch

Reaction score
I use Dylon multi purpose Scarlet red and my purple is gentian violet crystals, to get that colour mix the 2 in stages till you get the colour you want, as i said practice makes perfect,,, natural shrimp i found very good at times....

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Very good.
I don't think I used enough. I bought the small hand wash pouches.
Was thinking I need to buy the plastic washing machine tubs.
I found a place selling gentian
Gonna order some tonight.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Do not discount prawns, the big ,deep water variety, they are very different from the coastal variety, cheap, but from Tesco,s etc, maybe not as nice looking as the fresh caught shrimp, but I have always found them more successful, even small grilse will take them with gusto, I have caught many small grilse on them (2/3LB), and a lot of MSW fish too!!!!!
peter
I once had a business relationship with the Queen's fishmonger. He provided me with some uncooked huge prawns for a trip to the Spey back in the 80s.they must have been at least 6inches long. Missed opportunity for sure. Would love to see how they'd work on the Avon today with an introduction to some Cochineal.

Last edited:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
They work well undyed at times, even in clear water, they are certainly easier to see, especially when sight fishing in deep water, purple tends to disappear from clear view even in good light conditions in more than around 8ft, in poor light they go invisible in much less depth, no problem for the fish though, not an issue fishing blind, but I always fish with a very short line, often you will see an unseen fish move, but not take, a recast to the spot will often get a response. I very much prefer fishing with a lead rather than a float, when pools allow, which for me is 99%, you get to see whats going on underwater , not something float fishing allows, each to his/her own!
peter

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Had my first cast yesterday and only had the shrimp I dyed with me. Still managed one and lost another.
Will have to get down the beach and source some more.

20200620_152223.jpg