Dying session on Sat.

PETEY

Reaction score
I ventured into dyeing my own capes last year. I have my own set up for outdoors consisting of a sturdy table , camp stove, dedicated pots and pans etc. Concocting your own shades and hues is especially interesting. Adding a bit of fluorescence also perks things up , especially when the dyed materials are viewed under one of those resin curing lights. I shifted operations outdoors as life wouldn`t be worth living if I accidently got WOIGO smudge marks all over the white kitchen units.:eek:

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Great thread - come back across it because I'm dyeing stuff - belting ghillies as well. And I remember also, that you tie some of the best Wadds!

Cheers P. Having some issues just now so not posting much in the way of flies though still tying every day as I cant let people down that have upcoming trips. I have been following your progress mate as you stated that you only started tying in 2012 if memory serves?!? Your flies are superb so keep em coming as I'm enjoying viewing them 👍👍👍
Cheers, Patrick

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I ventured into dyeing my own capes last year. I have my own set up for outdoors consisting of a sturdy table , camp stove, dedicated pots and pans etc. Concocting your own shades and hues is especially interesting. Adding a bit of fluorescence also perks things up , especially when the dyed materials are viewed under one of those resin curing lights. I shifted operations outdoors as life wouldn`t be worth living if I accidently got WOIGO smudge marks all over the white kitchen units.:eek:
you mean like this 🙄🙄 here’s fridays faux pas...

4D796E27-0B82-4D5C-990A-DC46E890F112.jpeg

Reaction score
Type of acid plays a big role for the amount of time needed for the dye to take. You’ll see many companies suggest vinegar in their instructions as it’s easy to find. To elaborate, using concentrated vinegar (30-40%) commonly referred to as acetic acid will reduce time and will help with more dye penetration. For stronger keratin material such as squirrel or bear hair...even feathers I like to use citric, muriatic (hydrochloric) or sulfuric acid. Stronger acids may alter some Blue colors or blends with blues in them , but work fantastic with reds, yellows, oranges and black. Just a little of the stronger acid goes a long way (1/8th-1/4 tsp generally) and add it to the bath BEFORE the color. As Dave touched on about temperature, definitely not boiling. Average 170-180 degrees F (76-82 C). Adding a few drops of Synthrapol or even dawn dish soap can also help in a couple of ways. #1 for keeping grease content down (mostly when dyeing with skin attached) #2 it can help with the bond of the dye to the fiber. One last note, it helps using distilled water versus what Comes out of the tap. There can be a lot of dissolved solids in the stuff from the sink, sure it does work but from time to time you might see uneven dye penetration or flashing.

that’s my long-winded two cents 🤣

best to all of you
Shawn