Dying session on Sat.

salmonaddict

Reaction score
20200118_120747.jpg

1st thing is to degrease. I'm no expert when it comes to dying but this is a fairly straight forward job. Some hot water in the bottom of the sink with some fairy liquid. Agitate the materials and give them a good swirl. I let them steep then swirled around some more...

20200118_121515.jpg

Rinse thoroughly in cold running water...

20200118_121515.jpg

The instructions state 1/4 teaspoon of dye and 1 table spoon of vinegar in 1 litre of boiling water. As I wanted a really strong yellow and as I had the pelt and 4 tails to dye i decided to double the quantities to 1/2 teaspoon of dye and 2 table spoons of vinegar with still the 1 litre of water. A high pot save splashes ruining the wifes tea towels along with your best Primark t shirt. So 1/2 teaspoon of dye in to pot. Be sure to stir well until totally dissolved then stir some more. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar and again give it a good stir. Adjust the heat til you just see small bubbles coming up from the base of the pot and throw the material in...

20200118_121155.jpg
20200118_121318.jpg

Agitate well as it simmers away. The pelt was already a light yellow so I checked after 3-4 minutes. The skin will give you an idea of how the final colour will be but will be a shade or 2 lighter when dry.
I gave the pelt a few more minutes...probably 7 in total. Looked fine so took it out and gave it a rinse in cold running water..

20200118_122517.jpg
20200118_122840.jpg

Happy with the colour of the pelt I sat it on the radiator to slowly dry. The squirrel tails were still simmering away for a total period of around 12 minutes as they were natural. I took them out and rinsed well with cold running water and they looked fine when wet...

20200118_123626.jpg
20200118_125302.jpg

Sat them kn the rad to slowly dry and teased the fibres out to the side to make tying easier...

20200118_184027.jpg

The end result...

20200118_164205.jpg

20171214_172349.jpg

Last edited:

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Fookin hell admin...why is it such a chore to do a step-by-step on this forum?!? 🤔🤪

Also chopped off my 1st paragraph or was that me?!? 🥵

Last edited:

Sash

Reaction score
It was worth it!
Thanks for doing this: you made me realise how (relatively) straightforward this can be.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Fookin hell admin...why is it such a chore to do a step-by-step on this forum?!? 🤔🤪

Also chopped off my 1st paragraph or was that me?!? 🥵
Awesome stuff Salmonaddict. There is something about dyeing your own materials. I got some synthrapol to degrease - but like you I normally use soap or washy liquid and haven’t noticed too much difference.

Belting set of ghillies there as well!

Appreciate you taking the time to post - and the primary reason I think people are put off making an effort to share is the pain that is photo upload!

All the best, Patrick

mc andy

Reaction score
Awesome stuff Salmonaddict. There is something about dyeing your own materials. I got some synthrapol to degrease - but like you I normally use soap or washy liquid and haven’t noticed too much difference.

Belting set of ghillies there as well!

Appreciate you taking the time to post - and the primary reason I think people are put off making an effort to share is the pain that is photo upload!

All the best, Patrick
Couldn't agree more with this post! The ease of posting multiple pictures on the forum is a series down fall. I'm happy to post a picture or two but large numbers I've just given up. I don't want to hijack your thread salmon addict! So will start a thread on the subject. Brilliant job on tgr dyeing though and as said thanks for taking the time to share with your dyeing to vice sbs.

Cheers andy

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
Sorry to sound a critical note but I do mean well. You should really wear rubber or latex gloves when dyeing, unless you are very clear about the safety of the dyeing agent you are using. There is a very well recognised association between certain types of dye and bladder cancer.

Dave Carne

Reaction score
You shouldn't boil materials - with wool and feathers especially it will ruin them - water should JUST be starting to bubble. Only black should be longerr and if essential, hotter.

If it took 12 minutes to get that much dye in I'm guessing you were using something like dylon - too much like hard work, use Jacquard (easy to get off eBay) - that should take only a couple of minutes for getting a good yellow on.

Venpol is a MUCH better degreaser - well worth paying the extra for it.

I'd encourage EVERYONE who does a decent amount of tying to have a go at dyeing - it's most satisfying (I dye pretty much all of my own materials) and a really DEAD easy. Dx

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Brilliant salmonaddict :thumb: cracking ghillies also 🎣. I'm going to give this dyeing lark a go... What's the worst that can happen the inside of my shed looking like a kids colouring book :lol:

Last edited:

salmonaddict

Reaction score
You shouldn't boil materials - with wool and feathers especially it will ruin them - water should JUST be starting to bubble. Only black should be longerr and if essential, hotter.

If it took 12 minutes to get that much dye in I'm guessing you were using something like dylon - too much like hard work, use Jacquard (easy to get off eBay) - that should take only a couple of minutes for getting a good yellow on.

Venpol is a MUCH better degreaser - well worth paying the extra for it.

I'd encourage EVERYONE who does a decent amount of tying to have a go at dyeing - it's most satisfying (I dye pretty much all of my own materials) and a really DEAD easy. Dx
Cheers Dave for the info. I havent done a great deal of dying so all info much appreciated. It's very much a suck'em'n'see for me 👍

I only brought it to the boil to dissolve the dye (Veniard) then simmered gently as per instructions then just inspect the colour every so often. I removed from the dye when I felt the shade was what I was after👍

I'll give Venpol a bash 👍

Cheers 🎣

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Just be sure to buy your own dye pot mate or you'll end up getting walloped with it 🤪
My wee woman wouldn't know what to do with a pot :lol: that and she knows never to go near My copper pot's , I'll get a cheapo from Tesco for it :thumb:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Can this thread be made a 'sticky' ?

As already said above, thanks for posting and all the comments. I always thought dying materials was a bit of faff and something for the experts to play with. Now I see it is far easier.

One question, I know that you get cold and hot dye's. Whats the benefit of the hot?

Thanks,
Iain

salmonaddict

Reaction score
Can this thread be made a 'sticky' ?

As already said above, thanks for posting and all the comments. I always thought dying materials was a bit of faff and something for the experts to play with. Now I see it is far easier.

One question, I know that you get cold and hot dye's. Whats the benefit of the hot?

Thanks,
Iain
Maybe they could turn the pics around while they're at it 😄

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know why or how you had trouble with posting. I post threads with multiple images and text frequently without troubles, been at it since I came onto the forum when Alan had it. Anyway it looks as though you persevered and it's a great post :)

Ard

salmonaddict

Reaction score
I don't know why or how you had trouble with posting. I post threads with multiple images and text frequently without troubles, been at it since I came onto the forum when Alan had it. Anyway it looks as though you persevered and it's a great post :)

Ard
Most aren't the correct orientation...maybe to do with changing the camera from portrait to landscape 👍

salmonaddict

Reaction score

Ard
Just to add...I don't find it difficult posting a sbs but I do find it a chore. Judging by the amount of times the issue comes up on the forum then it would appear that others feel the same and is probably the main reason that few are posted. I go through the procedure, check the entire message, check again then post. Some seem fine while others are not. Most of the pics are of the wrong orientation. Maybe the software doesnt recognise that. I can send multiple images and messages in seconds on WhatsApp, txt and email yet not on here. Is there not a more up to date software available that would make posting reports, sbs's etc a little less of a chore? 👍

Last edited:

kgm

Reaction score
I stopped posting SBS's here a long time ago because of the hassle. Forum software is **** when trying to post a very involved SBS as you have. I always used a camera and uploaded pictures to a laptop for manipulation, then the forum software would do it's thing and frustrate the **** out of you.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Ard

This is the 3rd thread related to this subject in the last few months. There’s 2 other unresolved threads on the ‘suggestions board’* now At some point surely we have to acknowledge that improvement would be desirable?

Personally I found doing TOTM to be an increasing PITA, taking 45 mins or more to summarise the entries. I haven’t posted a SBS for years. I thought about doing a dying and bleaching one but it really wasn’t worth the hour + it was going to take me. The photo posting tool is poor and has a couple of really irritating quirks.

Find a way of improving the user experience and you’ll get more high quality images and more views and more valuable traffic, surely?? Please??

ATB

GK

* ‘Forum Issues and Suggestions’ - the thread where ideas go to be ignored.....:D:D