Dyeing today

gwelsher

Reaction score
I have just been playing with the dye pot using Oxalic acid. Feathers have never been a problem but as you know other stuff can be. I found it impossible to get the guard hairs of Fox to take the colour well, so did a lot of pro suppliers by the look of stuff I have seen. I tried Citric but maybe did not use enough as the results were no better than vinegar so I decided to use Oxalic and I’m really pleased with the initial batch.
The recipe was
1 litre water
½ tsp Veniards Kingfisher and a little sprinkle of Floro Blue
1 tbsp Oxalic
Dash of Synthrapol
70° Dye bath for 10 minutes
Job done. I was amazed at how quick the dye took. Also no damage to the materials. The Fox has not had it’s final conditioner bath yet I just dried it quickly to check the colour. The Fox looks the same colour as the Bucktail it just photographed strange :oops:

Dye Blue Cape.JPG

Dye Blue Fox.JPG

Dye Blue Bucktail.JPG

lexi

Reaction score
That is nice. Only used the vinegar. I have Oxalic here for cleaning under boat..........brilliant stuff.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Nice deep colours there Gary. There is a lot to learn it seems with this dyeing lark and the more trial and error , the better things seem to come out. I've started to give a proper couple of glugs of the polish vinegar with good results, no messing with tablespoons. I bet the lady in the Polish shop is going to give me some right funny looks this week when I call in for another couple of bottles. She must think I'm drinking it like beer.

I discovered chicken skins will leach a right bit of fat into the bath so I am inclined to dye them on their own now. Yesterday I dyed a piece of white Whiting chickabou without getting the deep saturation I wanted. Tried plucking loose feathers instead and had a great result.

Last edited:

undercurrent

Reaction score
With regards to the chicken skins I soak capes in synthrapol or veniards venpol for a couple of days but at least overnight, this removes most of the residual oils from the skin and reduces the excess oil on feathers, white capes often have a pale yellow tinge which shows through on light dyes. Oxalic acid is great as a mordant for setting colour as opposed to vinegar.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
With regards to the chicken skins I soak capes in synthrapol or veniards venpol for a couple of days but at least overnight, this removes most of the residual oils from the skin and reduces the excess oil on feathers, white capes often have a pale yellow tinge which shows through on light dyes. Oxalic acid is great as a mordant for setting colour as opposed to vinegar.
Thanks for that, good tips. I notice if you heat the back of a chicken skin with a hairdryer you can soak a good bit of fat with kitchen paper. I will follow up with the syntrapol soak as you mentioned above so I have the convenience of patches rather than loose feathers after dyeing.

I'll have to try the oxalic acid, it looks like the way to go from Gary's examples. Roughly how much would you ad to a half litre of water?

Edit - just noticed Gary has given quantity above.

rotenone

Reaction score
Thanks for that, good tips. I notice if you heat the back of a chicken skin with a hairdryer you can soak a good bit of fat with kitchen paper. I will follow up with the syntrapol soak as you mentioned above so I have the convenience of patches rather than loose feathers after dyeing.

I'll have to try the oxalic acid, it looks like the way to go from Gary's examples. Roughly how much would you ad to a half litre of water?

Edit - just noticed Gary has given quantity above.
Excess heat makes the oils seep, with the right dye, acid and patience very little heat is needed to dye most feathers.
I'm often using my cold water method for delicate items , also the reason why some peoole varnish the skins to stop them coming apart.

Plan on doing alot of dyeing soon, I never had any problems with strong vinegar will try the oxalic