Dunkings or falling in this season?

fishhead

Reaction score
This is very serious as we all know and a heads up for others, how many times have you had to go home wet through no fault of your waders n Jacket this season?

Im up to 2 :rolleyes: expecting more wet runs home!

JPfaeLaw

Banned
Reaction score
This is very serious as we all know and a heads up for others, how many times have you had to go home wet through no fault of your waders n Jacket this season?

Im up to 2 :rolleyes: expecting more wet runs home!
I tripped and fell in a fast moving stretch of the Clyde in February and ended up about half a mile downstream.... spent a night in Wishaw general hospital with hypothermia

Greenalert

Reaction score
Too many, but as yet haven't been completely soaked, always have a bag with a complete change of clothing & wading gear if required

Also got a Lifejacket & carry a wading stick all the time now which has helped enormously

scotty

Reaction score
not been in since i was a nipper, no fish is worth the risk i say. im not afraid to wade, but i know my limits.

scott

Doc

Reaction score
Slipped on to my rear end in a few inches of water a few weeks ago and just got my cuff wet does this count? :D this is the first year that i've tried felt soles and they definitely help a lot, it would be suicide wading in one of my favourite spots in cleated soles, and a staff would be more of a hinderance than a help. I tend to have more slips on the bank now instead of in the water!

Greenalert

Reaction score
Slipped on to my rear end in a few inches of water a few weeks ago and just got my cuff wet does this count? :D this is the first year that i've tried felt soles and they definitely help a lot, it would be suicide wading in one of my favourite spots in cleated soles, and a staff would be more of a hinderance than a help. I tend to have more slips on the bank now instead of in the water!
Stick some studs into the felt soles, deadly alone on wet grass

kingfisher

Reaction score
Stick some studs into the felt soles, deadly alone on wet grass
I can vouch for that!! Whilst walking down a grassy slope at the river Spey two years ago, I "skied" all the way down the the little hill and had to "bottom" out to save myself from going any faster.:D:D:D

Fruin

Reaction score
I've had a few minor dunkings this year, but fortunately (touch wood and all that) I have only really had wet arms as I've managed to gat a grip on something or other to stop the full dooking!

K-Spey

Reaction score
Wade less & cast more !

Wading is a serious business.
Only wade when I can see the bottom & my boots.
While life jackets and wading staffs are very important when used correctly some people feel these Safety Aids give them license to wade anywhere with a very false sense of security.

A little common sense goes a long way to keeping oneself safe and dry.

A good pair of boots with studs is essential and no felt soles - these days there are far better alternatives - I tend not to worry about what waders I wear these days- though I will only wear simms boots with the aqua-stealth studded soles - incredible grip both in and out of the water.

Don't mean to harp on about this subject but as someone who guides a fair bit I feel that safety in general when fishing can't be over-emphasised and unfortunately is often overlooked and taken for granted.
Personally for me guiding is about helping people catch fish, enjoy their time on the water and above all else Be Safe !

never taken a dunking & hope to keep it that way.

K:)

scotty

Reaction score
Wade less & cast more !

Wading is a serious business.
Only wade when I can see the bottom & my boots.
While life jackets and wading staffs are very important when used correctly some people feel these Safety Aids give them license to wade anywhere with a very false sense of security.

A little common sense goes a long way to keeping oneself safe and dry.

A good pair of boots with studs is essential and no felt soles - these days there are far better alternatives - I tend not to worry about what waders I wear these days- though I will only wear simms boots with the aqua-stealth studded soles - incredible grip both in and out of the water.

Don't mean to harp on about this subject but as someone who guides a fair bit I feel that safety in general when fishing can't be over-emphasised and unfortunately is often overlooked and taken for granted.
Personally for me guiding is about helping people catch fish, enjoy their time on the water and above all else Be Safe !

never taken a dunking & hope to keep it that way.

K:)
agree totaly, like i said know your limits. and the simms aqua stealth studded are the bee knees.

scott

Smokey

Reaction score
Audience

Did you ever notice that when you land a fish there's never anyone around to witness your success but take a dunking and the cast of Ben Hur is standing on the bank watching your pathetic efforts to get out with dignity?

speers

Reaction score
went in 2 weeks ago whilst seatrouting , i'h had only two cast's and the first one i got stuck on the bottom and snapped a new tie needle fly, so i came out set up went back in and lost my balance and went head over heals, everything was soaking, i then had a long trudge home,
o'h and yes my mate witnessed it all and laughed his head off until i kindly reminded him that he shouldnt be laughing.;):p

thats the first time in years although i have done many a disco dance in the middle of the river:eek::eek:

must admit im not a lover of falling in , it just ruins everything, fortunately the river i fish isnt that deep, just murder to wade as its a bed rock bottom with ankle breaking blocks / stones.

on a new river i tend not to wade that much these days,as like one of the previous posters says wade less and cast more.:)

Dalrachie

Reaction score
Funny dookin'

Of course it is serious business and I have had my share of scary moments in the past on such rivers as the Tay, Tummel, Spey and Teith. I did have a slow motion hysterical upending on the Dee on Springer's hosted July trip. Fishing down a very bouldery run in very low (and warm) water I stumbled/slipped forwards, righted myself by leaning backwards only to sit down on a large slimy rock just under the water. In slow motion and powerless to stop my rearwards decent at one point I had my feet in the air and head and shoulders under the water. It was ok as I simply rolled over sideways and got back on my feet allowing all the water to pour all the way down into my boots. Fortunately no one was bankside with a camera and I laughed it off and carried on fishing until lunchtime. However if that had happened in February or March it would most definitely have been quite serious.

I was wearing chest waders which were too tight in the body and really restricted my movement. Charlie Duncan very kindly lent me his breathables and it was an absolute pleasure to use them. They were light and my movements were completely unrestricted.

I was lucky I could laugh it off but a very valuable lesson learned. Old waders have been ceremonially cremated and proper well fitting waders will be purchased before my next outing. Take note, it is not worth the risk buying cheap stuff.:eek:

onthedangle

Reaction score
not went in this year...had the comedy 'balance armicopter' routine a few times but managed to steady myself! i fully expect a dunking in the back-end, especially if kingfisher has me down the nith!!!;)

VID1973

Banned
Reaction score
I can speak for fishead(even though he has not said,,but it is a laughe the state that boy has got himself intae...lol)...lol he's been in aboot 20 times,,,lol:eek::D

Sorry G;)

getitchapped

Reaction score
i,am in

in the water that is fell in at dalserf on the clyde today but only after landing and returning a big coloured hen aboot 12 lbs

yorkshirelad15

Reaction score
not fallen in whilst fishing but fell into a raceway at the trout farm where im a part timer. was pullin out fish for grading and reached a tad too far with the net.. in head first lol... waders full to the brim and hair full of fish sh1t... managed to properly muller my thumb with a priest... not the best of days... and embarrassing...:( :D

hutchy1379

Reaction score
ive been into every river i've fished either over my chest waders or straight slipping in ...apart from the river bush which was in flood that day- no exaggeration! Really must invest in a life jacket :eek: